cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving texts while roaming

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all,

Im currently travelling in the US, but I did not update my plan to include US roaming.

What happens to the texts that are sent to my phone from friends back in Canada while Im in the US? Will I receive them when I get back to Canada or are they lost forever?

8 REPLIES 8

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren  good to learn, only US can receive the text message, for other country could not. I delete my posting as mislead people who read it. 

@hycm53 wrote:

@89461 wrote:

Hi all,

Im currently travelling in the US, but I did not update my plan to include US roaming.

What happens to the texts that are sent to my phone from friends back in Canada while Im in the US? Will I receive them when I get back to Canada or are they lost forever?

I belief you could receive texts and calls since there's no charge on them even if you're on Rogers or Telus, but you may not sent text or make a call until you have US text and call package.

Rogers and Telus do charge extra for to receive incoming calls when you're in the U.S.   As for calls working when in the U.S. without a roaming package, I've never tried, but this would be a system glitch. It's not suppsoed to work.  If it works for you, enjoy it while it lasts. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@missorange wrote:

without a roaming add-on, you may lost the text when you are in US.

@missorange FYI this is 100% incorrect.  You can receive incoming text messages while in the USA without needing any add-ons.  You will not be able to respond to them or send any new outgoing without the appropriate add-on, but you can receive freely.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@89461Most telcos store SMS messages for a certain number of days... so it depends on how long you are out of Public's range if you don't want to mess around with carrier priority / settings. What kind of phone are you using? If you are using Apple then iMessage should transport your message to your phone even if you are on wifi.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@89461 wrote:

Hi all,

I belief you could receive texts and calls since there's no charge on them even if you're on Rogers or Telus, but you may not sent text or make a call until you have US text and call package.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@89461 wrote:

Hi all,

You might need to at least connect to AT&T or T-Mobile to be able to do anything. Yes. You can receive texts and calls. You just can't text or call out without a roaming add-on.

It's likely that receiving calls is not official so that could stop at anytime without warning.

You could use other apps to tx/rx texts and calls via wifi.

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@89461 wrote:

Hi all,

I believe you can receive texts whilst in the US without the US roaming add-ons, but you won't be able to reply back.

Need Help? Let's chat.