cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving text overseas ?

NuYearNuMobile
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Can you receive texts when outside of Canada + North America ?

If not, then is there any add on for that to receive texts and calls when travelling overseas ?

Add Info:- Interested in receiving calls+text on my default PM number.

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@NuYearNuMobile wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Actually I was looking for a sloution for when travelling overseas.I do have my PM number set up for text authenticiation for various websites. That would mean I would either need to change my phone info on all the websites matched to the new textnow number or just disable the text authenication feature at least during my travel peroid.

@NuYearNuMobile wherever possible, I use Google Authenticator codes instead of SMS for my 2FA/MFA.  It's not tied to a phone number, is more secure, and in fact if you use the 3rd party Authy app, you can use it on multiple devices (I have it on my phone and as a Chrome app on my work and personal PCs) so it's always handy.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

popping

@NuYearNuMobile wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Actually I was looking for a sloution for when travelling overseas.I do have my PM number set up for text authenticiation for various websites. That would mean I would either need to change my phone info on all the websites matched to the new textnow number or just disable the text authenication feature at least during my travel peroid.

Some bank allows me to add more than 1 phone number to receive text message.  I have tested my Fongo number as a backup for text authernication while traveling.

NuYearNuMobile

I have a separate number for TextNow. TextNow isn't associated with Public Mobile, it's just my suggested work-around for overseas use. As noted by  @popping , there are other voip apps to look at as well.

NuYearNuMobile

Will Textnow have my PM number or a new number will be assigned ?

popping

@NuYearNuMobile wrote:

Can you receive texts when outside of Canada + North America ?

If not, then is there any add on for that to receive texts and calls when travelling overseas ?

PM has only US roaming add-on.  No oversea roaming add-on.

You can bu local SIM card when you arrive at your destination.  You can use WhatsApp to commnuicate with your family using free WiFi at airport or hotel.  WhatsApp is available for Android and iOS.  WhatsApp is what my family member to communicate with family while traveling.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

no sorry only north america

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

10 Day US Add-on is only for use in US.

For overseas, have a look at voip apps like TextNow. It's free to send / rec texts and make free calls as long as you have a robust wifi signal.

Need Help? Let's chat.