cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: No Signal/SIM# on account is different.

vadimdumin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have also the same issue. My Self-Serve account was simjacked just last week. I have a question about how to prevent this from happening in the future. 

Is it possible to set a 2-factor authentication using an SMS or an application like Microsoft Authenticator to login into Self-Serve? This way even if your online password is hacked, the fraudster will not be able to access your account without having your physical phone device.

Thanks,

Vadim

7 REPLIES 7

The only question left unanswered is how to cancel my old phone line. Moderators do not seem to care unless I provide them several pieces of account information I do not have since I have been locked out from my account. Moderators told me to contact privacy@publicmobile.ca to solve this issue.

Hello @vadimdumin ,

If you ported your Public Mobile phone number to Koodo, then your Public Mobile account automatically closes. You can contact the moderators by private message option #2 in my above post if you wish to confirm things.

FYI, incase you did not know, both Koodo and Public Mobile are Telus owned companies.

I hope you are happy with the move and have better experiences going forward. Good Luck!

vadimdumin

Thank you @esjliv for detailed answer. I just got off the phone with Koodo (my new provider) and this is how we setup my new account with them:

1. There is a PIN to protect my account when calling them.

2. If someone tries to swap SIM card or port the number to another carrier they will now have to answer a security question.

3. Also before the new SIM is activated the confirmation message is sent to the phone with an old SIM

I believe I have adequate protection now against this kind of fraud. It is a pity PM does not offer these options.

The only question left unanswered is how to cancel my old phone line. Moderators do not seem to care unless I provide them several pieces of account information I do not have since I have been locked out from my account. Moderators told me to contact privacy@publicmobile.ca to solve this issue.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @vadimdumin ,

So sorry to hear this happened to you. 

When I hear of cases like this, it makes me so angry to hear about fraudsters doing this. 😡

SIM swapping is a type of fraud targeting your personal information so that criminals can impersonate you and access your bank accounts. Most victims won’t know they’ve been compromised until they try to place a call or send a text message which doesn’t go through.

How the SIM swapping scam works

1. Many SIM swap scams start with a phishing email to try and trick you into revealing personal information the criminal can then use to impersonate you.
  2. Once they have enough personal information, the criminal will call your mobile provider or use the online chat option pretending to be you. They'll request a new SIM card in your name.
  3. Once they’ve gained the new SIM card connected to your phone number, they’ll have access to all services you’ve linked to your phone: bank accounts, emails, pictures, phone calls, text messages, etc.

How to protect yourself

• Set up a passcode/PIN with your service provider to access your phone for any online or phone interactions. Do not use the same PIN as you use for other accounts, like your bank account.
  • Don’t publish your phone number on any of your social media profiles and limit the amount of personal information you post online like your birthday, elementary school names, or your pet’s name. Fraudsters can use these clues to answer common identification questions and impersonate you.
  • Don’t use the same passwords or usernames across multiple accounts. Always create a strong, unique password for your sensitive accounts. Click here to learn more about how to create a strong password.

Don’t click on links or attachments in suspicious emails or text messages. Remember that your bank will never send you an email, or call you on the phone, asking you to disclose personal information such as your password, credit or debit card number, or your mother’s maiden name.

EDIT: if you have not let the moderators know about your case please let them know.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

vadimdumin

I heard PC Mobile sends an email if there was a change to your account. This might work too, since my email is 2FA protected and hard to crack.

@vadimdumin wrote:

I immediately open a new account with Koodo, although it seems they have no 2FA protection for their online against SIM swap fraud either. I have to know how to protect myself in the future. So I am asking for a better method to keep my SIM secure. Any other carrier who might provide 2FA service for their Self-Serve?

Freedom Mobile does this, but I'm not certain that any more secure as the self serve login there is only the phone number and a 4-digit PIN as the password.

vadimdumin

It has been a crazy week for me cancelling all my bank accounts, credit cards, changing passwords for online accounts, filing police reports. I was lucky that my main email was protected using 2FA and nothing got stolen, but the attempt was made to make a $1200 purchase from one of online stores using my broken into PayPal account. After the fraudsters gained access to my Self-Serve, changing password on my other accounts was easy because they were protected by 2FA SMS method and the SMS went to them instead of me. 

I immediately open a new account with Koodo, although it seems they have no 2FA protection for their online against SIM swap fraud either. I have to know how to protect myself in the future. So I am asking for a better method to keep my SIM secure. Any other carrier who might provide 2FA service for their Self-Serve?

@vadimdumin wrote:

I have also the same issue. My Self-Serve account was simjacked just last week. I have a question about how to prevent this from happening in the future. 

Is it possible to set a 2-factor authentication using an SMS or an application like Microsoft Authenticator to login into Self-Serve? This way even if your online password is hacked, the fraudster will not be able to access your account without having your physical phone device.

Unfortunately, there are no such options at Public Mobiile. Anyone who knows that e-mail address used and the password will have full access to your account.

Need Help? Let's chat.