cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS problems after porting number - Recommendations/Guide

TJ_22
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So subcribed to Public Mobile to other day.......

I am on a Samsung S23 FE 5G and was with Bell on a Sim and kept it while I tested Public Mobile on an eSim. Did this with dual Sim setup on my phone. This made me keep my phone number on Bell while I got a temporary number on Public.

Important : I kept RCS chats option ON in the google messages app settings not knowing it maybe was the cause of my problems; read that you should put it OFF while porting phone number.

After a couple of days, was being happy with Public Mobile. Went into the app and transfered (ported) my original phone number. Received text from Bell to confirm cancelling wiht them and everything was done in minutes. Later that day, people I texted were confused as they were receiving from the temporary number. (If they texted me initially, it went to my original number). Went into google messages options and saw that RCS chats were connected to the temporary number; turned that OFF while I would find a solution.......Nothing on the internet worked!! (clear cache/date of the messages app, google account phone number, phone number in the advanced tab of messages app, clear cache/data carrier services app impossible because I have a Samsung phone, remove and add phone number in the google account, etc....)

So here's what I did :

- turned rcs chats off in messages settings

- bought esim in the public app and installed it; it deactivated the previous one

- went into sim manager and removed previous estimates

- went into the Google messages app settings and cleared cache and data

- went into Google messages app and turned rcs chats on

- it connected with the correct phone number

Here you have it! Enjoy

8 REPLIES 8

TJ_22

So solution is wait 9-14 days with RCS off or if you can't wait like me, transfer from eSim to eSim or to Sim.

Jay1982

Quick update. This morning I enabled RCS in Google Messages for the first time since March 2 and it went directly to the temporary number, so I turned off RCS, went into advanced options and confirmed my correct number, then went back and enabled RCS and it connected to the correct number!  Not sure if it was the waiting that helped, but I'm so glad that it's working properly again!

Jay1982

Yes, no other problems besides RCS not connecting to my ported number. 

hi @Jay1982 your inbound calls are coming in without problems?

Jay1982

I'm having the exact same problem, clearing the cache would help temporarily, after I cleared it and enabled RCS in Google Messages it would try to connect to the new number, but would automatically switch to the temp number shortly after. 

I've read that leaving it turned off for 7-10 days could reset the system and force it to work, which is what I'm doing. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

thanks for sharing @TJ_22 . Yes clearing cache is always helpful 

and @Jay1982 le tis know if you need further help

Jay1982

It might be what I need to do!

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@TJ_22  Thanks for sharing , that’s good to know 

Need Help? Let's chat.