cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting a SIM in to an iPhone 4

Lynne
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello my boyfriend dropped his phone and needs to use an old unlocked iPhone 4 but when the SIM is put in that phone nothing happens just says no SIM anyone know how to fix this problem? 

Thanks for your help 

16 REPLIES 16

edmonch2013

you can try the link below to see if your iphone is on BLACKLIST. If yes, you will not able to acitive it with any service provider in canada.

Dail Screen press *#06# to get your IMEI 

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/ 

marsbar

Could the iPhone have been reported as stolen by someone else?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Lynne just checking:  have you made sure that you did any available updates by connecting the iPhone to a computer and using iTunes?  

Also:  have you verified that it is not blacklisted? If bought from a pawn shop, there's a very real possibility it was stolen or lost and marked as blacklisted.  If not, then it must be carrier locked to another network.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Raven_Jet
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I didn't have to do anything. Just put the SIM card in and it recognized it. As long as the phone is unlocked. 

Lynne

Did you have to change any settings for it to work? Every SIM we have put in just says sim failed or no service

Raven_Jet
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I used PM with the iPhone 4 and it should work. As long as the phone is unlocked. 

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@Lynne you can probably check in settings to see the network it belongs to. 

If it is Rogers, just go online on Rogers online chat and ask them to unlock it for you. 

Lynne

He just got it from a pondshop and when I look at it I think it was Rogers 

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@Lynne which service provider does the phone originally belong to?

you can call them or use their online chat to get them to unlock it free of charge. 

Lynne

Thanks tried all of this 😞 

Lynne

Thanks I have tried all of this and none of it worked Im thinking the phone may be locked but have been told it's not 😞 

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@Lynne, have you tried enabling wifi first and make sure wifi work and then put the SIM card in and check. 

Also try enabling and disabling airplane mode. 

closng
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @Lynne,

Have you tried:

1. Toggling on and off the airplane mode

2. Make sure that the time and date is set correctly

3. Test the SIM card on another phone to double check the SIM card is still functional or insert another SIM card into the iPhone 4 to see if it works 

5. As a last resort, I would reset the phone to factory (make sure he creates a backup)

Lynne

Thanks did all of that but it's saying no service 😞 

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Might want to take a look at the following from Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201420

Lynne

It's saying invalid SIM 

Need Help? Let's chat.