Did you mean: 

Public mobile sim card

Victoriacowdrey
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

SIM card is not working in my iPhone phone is locked vicki

4 REPLIES 4

kelvinliang
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Like the others have mentioned, your phone may be locked to your previous carrier, but this depends on when you bought your phone.

As of December 1st, 2017, CRTC, Canada's wireless regulator, has ruled that every cellphone sold in the country must be unlocked, and carriers can no longer charge their customers to unlock their current devices. 

So if you have purchased your phone before then, you will need to contact your previous carrier to have them unlock it. 

I hope that helps. 

@jlarocque96 wrote:

@Victoriacowdrey 

Some phones are locked when purchased under a contract. If your phone is still under contract you will need to buy it out (pay the remaining balance owing). Reach out your current provider and ask them to unlock your phone. They will do it free of charge if your contract is up. 

This isn't correct. Carriers in Canada are no longer allowed to sell/provide carrier locked devices. If the device is locked, it must be unlocked by them before you leave the store or before they ship it to you. The contract status isn't related to locked/unlocked status and anyone who is signed up to a Canadian carrier's services has the right to have any locked device unlocked immediatley, even if under contract/tab. You do not need to buyout the contract/tab to get the device unlocked.

jlarocque96
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Victoriacowdrey 

Some phones are locked when purchased under a contract.

*Edit: If your phone was purchased before 2017.  Thank you to other replies for clarifying the new law. 

If your phone is still under contract you will need to reach out your current provider and ask them to unlock your phone. They will do it free of charge.

There are other sites when you google cell unlocker... these work, but it is unnecessary to pay for this service. I once paid $20 for a unlock service just for reference. (back when it was more difficult to get a phone unlocked) 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Victoriacowdrey ,

Is your phone locked to the previous provider?

Contact the previous provider and have them unlock it for you. There is no charge.

Need Help? Let's chat.