cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public mobile 5G

Gavin7
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am wondering if public mobile will use 5G towers to help have better coverage I realize it will probably be a long time before they actually give 5G service but I am hoping they will do something similar to what they did with 4G where they use the towers for coverage but throttle you to 3G speeds. Anyone have any idea if that might happen?

9 REPLIES 9

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

There is no commercially available 5G standalone (SA) network in Canada. All 5G today is non-standalone (NSA), which uses LTE for coverage and signaling. In addition, there are no plans to deploy new sites with only 5G. All new sites will have LTE as well. Lastly, coverage is mainly dependent on low band deployment. There is no low band that is better than LTE B12 in Canada. n71 will be used for 5G, but it has the same coverage as B12. It's also not clear if n71 will be exclusively deployed for 5G, or shared with LTE (as B71).

You will see no coverage improvements with 5G. Any improvements would be from new site deployments which will also improve LTE coverage.

Gavin7

@Staliger 

I think they will use 5G towers but for 3G signal coverage. Just like now they use 4G to deliver their service now. I don't see any problems with that. But deliver 5G itself.... I don't think so.”

That’s exactly what I’m hoping for I don’t care if I get 5G features just better coverage. 

@Gavin7  did you try changing  the network to 3G Only?  Some people have surprises , better speed, when accessing via 3G towers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gavin7 

Q: you purchased 3G, why is LTE showing in my phone’s status bar?

A: Don’t worry, this is normal! You will receive 3G speeds with the reliability of the LTE network, wherever possible.

Q: Do 3G plans support tethering?

A: They do! Tethering is supported in both 3G and 4G LTE plans.

Q: I just activated on a plan that includes data or changed to a plan with different data speed, when does the change take effect?

A: If you activated on a plan that includes data, it could take up to 48 hours until you experience 3G speeds. Similarly, if you change your data speed from 3G to 4G LTE or vice versa, the same delay may occur.

if you like to see the Canadian Cellular Towers Map Here 

maybe you like to see in your area outages Here and you can also report it,

Gavin7

For instance where I live I get about 1 sometimes 2 bars so the speed I get is basically throttled anyway 😂 but I am hearing that probably less than 1 km away we might get a 5G tower (it will be Rogers 😞) but the principal still applies, I don’t care if I am throttled to regular 3G speeds (4G would be nice though) just something better than .5 to 1 MB’s upload and 5 MB’s download which is what I get basically now.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Gavin7 

EF702B0E-8D9A-4844-9D87-10C62496BC3A.jpeg

softech
Oracle
Oracle

I think they might.. if they are keeping PM

I believe part of the 5G project is to also phasing out 3G.  PM currently does not have VoLTE, so, Telus likely have to make a choice soon, VoLTE for PM or folding PM altogether.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

I think they will use 5G towers but for 3G signal coverage. Just like now they use 4G to deliver their service now. I don't see any problems with that. But deliver 5G itself.... I don't think so.

@Gavin7 wrote:

I am wondering if public mobile will use 5G towers to help have better coverage I realize it will probably be a long time before they actually give 5G service but I am hoping they will do something similar to what they did with 4G where they use the towers for coverage but throttle you to 3G speeds. Anyone have any idea if that might happen?

I would not expect 5g service any time soon. Public Mobile doesn't even yet allow many of it's customers fast LTE speeds o any of its customers VoLTE.

Need Help? Let's chat.