cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price Comparison (Telus | Koodo | Public Mobile)

BrandonBerner
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thought I would share this current basic price compairion between Telus, Koodo, Public Mobile. I did not compare all the pricing, rather just two basic plans, one with data, the other without. It goes to show how much you pay extra each month just for access to customer service by phone/instore.

------------------------------------------------------------

Bring Your Own Device - Rate Plan Includes:

• Calling - Unlimited Canada-Wide
  • Texting - Unlimited Canada-Wide
  • 1GB Data LTE

Telus: $85 [1,4]  |   Koodo: $50 [4]  |   Public Mobile: $47 (Or $35 for 3G) [2,3]

Bring Your Own Device - Rate Plan Includes:

• Calling - Unlimited Canada-Wide
  • Texting - Unlimited Canada-Wide

Telus: $45 [4]  |   Koodo: $45 [4]  |   Public Mobile: $35 (With or without 1GB 3G Data) [2,3]

Additional Info Regarding Above Comparison:

1. Telus currently has a special: Buy 1GB, get +2GB at no additional cost.
  2. If you dont care about LTE speeds, then replacce the [$47] LTE pricing with [$35] 3G pricing for Public Mobile
  3. Public Mobile offers additional savings Learn More
  4. Telus pricing is not on a Smartphone, Premium, or Premium Plus plan, Koodo pricing is not on a tab plan. None of the plans above allow you to get a phone at a discount or zero down.

Company Comparison

You get what you pay for...kinda

• Telus, Koodo, and Public Mobile use the same great reliable Telus network.

• Since Telus is dominating the fibre optics invasion, it allows them to easily add cell tower repeaters in dead-zone areas at a fraction of the cost compared to adding towers like the majority of providers. Thus having an advantage of eliminating dead-zones compared to other providers.

• Unlike Telus and Koodo, you cant get a phone from Public Mobile for a low or zero down upfront cost.

• Unlike Koodo and Public Mobile, Telus is the total package if you want one provder for your Mobile, home phone, Internet, Cable, and smart home.

• Telus has more stores, Koodo has less, and Public Mobile has none

• Telus has semi-fast phone support, Koodo has less-fast phone support (usually requiring a callback), and Public Mobile has no phone support (unless you registered before 2015).

• Telus has fast online chat, Koodo has less-fast online chat, and Public Mobile has no online chat (but a community forum instead)

• Koodo has high overage, pay-per-use charges/fees/penalties, Telus has lower charges, and Public Mobile has even lower.

• As I learn more, ill continue to add to this list.

* All statements are my own opinion, and subject to the possibility of being inaccurate.

* Pricings are subject to change.

...Feel free to let me know if this has helped you in any way. I may compare more plans.

5 REPLIES 5

softech
Oracle
Oracle

... even legacy plan no longer have phone support

.. if you want lots of LTE data.. Public is not the way to go, their LTE plan only comes with 2Gb ($47).. more data.. need to stuck with 3G plans

BrandonBerner
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks @kav2001c for the addition to the comaprision regarding both the $45 2GB LTE PM plan.

Also thanks for the correction on my comparison. I have revised my post to compare all three providers on LTE plans, and included some extras 🙂

I've tried to make direct side-by-side comparisons a few times before and determined that Telus/Koodo/PM have cleverly designed their plan structures to obfuscate direct side-by-side comparisons.

Koodo can be a better deal than PM if you score a killer promo, you are willing to take a Tab, and you are the sort of high-data high-ARPU customer who needs more than PM offers.

I do agree that Koodo plans generally cost more than their PM counterparts, although there's always a few specific outliers which don't follow the rule (especially during promos).  One way Koodo costs more is all the little "pay-per-use" or "one-time" charges/fees/penalties they append onto your bill - things which are always "unlimited" and "free" on PM.

And to be fair, paying more for Koodo's service model is dumb if you don't need/want Koodo's service model, don't like dealing with sales reps, and you prefer to DIY - Koodo's style ain't for everyone.  But not having access to a friendly face at a physical point of contact is dumb if you're lacking working phone, some patience, and some tech-savvy - so PM's style ain't for everyone either.  I'll stick with PM ... but I'll recommend Koodo to my grandmother.

@kav2001c wrote:

Public is still cheaper ($45 for 2GB LTE data) but you are comparing the 3G plan vs the Telus/Koodo LTE plans

There is a fairly large erosion of price advantage.  Even so, Canada wide calling, text, 1 gig LTE data is $47 per 30 days, $45 with auto pay, less with other rewards. 

Personally, if I was shopping around, I would not compare Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile and be satisfied.  This is not a shopping site and so I will refrain from taking this discussion much further.  A quick google search would reveal options with 3 gigs of LTE data for $36 per month. 

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Public is still cheaper ($45 for 2GB LTE data) but you are comparing the 3G plan vs the Telus/Koodo LTE plans

Need Help? Let's chat.