cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Posting Messages and Linking to other websites

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

Just my two cents!

This is a word of advice for those who add web links to their messages. When you click on 'Insert/edit Link' enter the relevant information. When you get to the target, you have two options:

Open in Current Page and Open in New Page.

My suggestion always strived to Open in New Page. Why? If you page goes to a different external website, the user will read that link and then close the web page. Once they close the web page, essentially, they are also closing the Public Mobile's web page too. Unless they remember to hit 'back' to go back to Public Mobile.

If the web link is an internal web link such as an article within Public Mobile, you could 'Open in Current Page' because you are still using Public Mobile. Personally, I like to set my links to 'Open in New Page' so when you are done reading, you can close that tab only! 

OpenNew.png

3 REPLIES 3

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The open current page should really be open new tab. 

closng
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thanks for the tip!

Though, personally, I made it a habbit to hold the CTRL key when I click on any links so they open in a new tab 🙂

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@mpcdesign, I get what you're saying, but I always control-primary click on links to open in a new tab.

With the browsers out there today, with tabbed browsing, there's really no need to click the 'Open in a new window' option, as you've mentioned, it's an option.

Saying this however, my local newspaper gets it wrong a lot - even a control-primary click overwrites the open window, AND creates a new tab at the same time.  Frustrating!!

Need Help? Let's chat.