cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting number from Shaw Landline

bill_b
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone, it may of been asked before, but just making sure I have this right

A friend of mine wants to port from Shaw landline to PM

I was going to do the following with him later today...

Activate SIM card and create a temporary phone number, I'm assuming new account will be made for him at activation, I can't remember

I can try the phone after activation, if successful, go into his new created Account and transfer his landline to his new mobile phone with SIM installed

I understand it may take a few business days to transfer

Besides supplying PM with appropriate information at transfer, eg. account number and phone number from Shaw. Is there anything else he will need to do?

Being a landline I assume he won't get any kind of text to agree to port transfer of number?

Any input? Or go with it?

13 REPLIES 13

bill_b

@esjliv 

"I ported a Bell landline over to Public Mobile and did the porting during the SIM activation. It went smoothly, and finished porting in about 4 days."

My buddy informed me that the complete finished port took 37 hours, considering we started on a Sunday, that was good work, thanks PM

bill_b

Well, happy to say I got to his place an hour before the football game yesterday, by the time the game started the SIM was activated and he could already phone out on his mobile with his old landline number. Texting with data and sending pics worked also

He will still have to wait for incoming calls to work, I assume that will happen any time in next few days

@esjliv 

His other shaw services are paid up till end of month, so he wasn't planning on cancelling anything up until then

@CountyDownIeUk 

"I'm in the process of setting him up, he's a bit non-tech, we're probably going with freedom home internet(shaw infrastructure) but a lot cheaper"

"Have you looked at Koodo Wireless Home Phone?

I use a ZTE WF721 on Public Mobile for Home Phone $15 - $2 = $5 (for 500 min add-on)"

He will be using PM mobile as his only phone, no more landline

Freedom Home Internet is just for internet

And he won't be going with Surfnet, it is an iptv service he will be using however

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@bill_b wrote:

Hi everyone, it may of been asked before, but just making sure I have this right

A friend of mine wants to port from Shaw landline to PM

I was going to do the following with him later today...

Activate SIM card and create a temporary phone number, I'm assuming new account will be made for him at activation, I can't remember

I can try the phone after activation, if successful, go into his new created Account and transfer his landline to his new mobile phone with SIM installed

I understand it may take a few business days to transfer

Besides supplying PM with appropriate information at transfer, eg. account number and phone number from Shaw. Is there anything else he will need to do?

Being a landline I assume he won't get any kind of text to agree to port transfer of number?

Any input? Or go with it?

@bill_b  - I ported a Bell landline over to Public Mobile and did the porting during the SIM activation. It went smoothly, and finished porting in about 4 days.

I did have to contact Bell ahead of time though, because I was bundling services at the time.

NOTE: Make sure your friend does not cancel with Rogers Shaw until all services are working with the Public Mobile account/SIM.

You will know when the port is complete when incoming calls start coming to the Public SIM card.

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@bill_b 

Yes, you won’t get a text on the landline.

When you create an Self Serve account. The PM CS Agent will contact you through email on this Community page on the envelope icon on the top of this page.

You have an option of get a new number for your cell phone and have the CS Agent change it back to your old landline number.

@bill_b wrote:

Thanks Dunkman

So being a landline he probably won't get a text? Mobile to landline text, so nothing to confirm after I assume?

Edit>> No, he didn't activate in store, I'll be doing that for him

@bill_b 

Correct.  No text to landline to confirm.  

@bill_b wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk 

My friend currently doesn't even have an Internet plan, which I believe you need at least fibre optic to receive the free mobile

ok....Shaw is foreign to me. 

I'm in the process of setting him up, he's a bit non-tech, we're probably going with freedom home internet(shaw infrastructure) but a lot cheaper

Have you looked at Koodo Wireless Home Phone?

I use a ZTE WF721 on Public Mobile for Home Phone $15 - $2 = $5 (for 500 min add-on)

PM for phone 

For mobile phone....is fantastic.

I have 3 PM $15 plans. After 2 years an tons of freebies. 

and a new TV plan with a third party provider

Be careful....who will that be? I had Surfnet and was a complete PITA.  

And if you go with IPTV make sure you have enough or unlimited download for internet services. IPTV = Internet Protocol TV. 

bill_b

@CountyDownIeUk 

Out of curiousity I went online Chat with Shaw because we have their service till mid next January.... Asked if anything special to do to port from Shaw landline to PM

response was:

"No you would just need to provide the phone number to the provider with your account number."

So I hope it goes that smooth, lol

bill_b

@CountyDownIeUk 

My friend currently doesn't even have an Internet plan, which I believe you need at least fibre optic to receive the free mobile

I'm in the process of setting him up, he's a bit non-tech, we're probably going with freedom home internet(shaw infrastructure) but a lot cheaper

PM for phone 

and a new TV plan with a third party provider

Just out of curiosity, if your friend has Shaw why would he/she not use Shaw Mobile...is it not free? Or is it one of their gimmicks ... read the fine print deals??

I recently ported from a Voip land line to PM. Same issue as there could not be a text to my voip number. Their policy was for me to advise them of the upcoming port out by internal email. The voip released it, no problem. You may want to contact Shaw and ask what the port out process is. And you may want to contact a CSA at PM as well. The port took around 5 days to complete and for a period of time I had split services. And when all is said and done...PM will advise you that the port has been finalized. 

My voip had a balance and my account was not closed and was able to make a new DID and let it erode slowly. You may want to verify with Shaw for that as well. Also keep in mind Shaw home phone is voip. 

Edit. There is a reply to your post that is plagued with irrelevant information. I would suggest that you disregard some or all of the content. 

bill_b

Thanks Dunkman

So being a landline he probably won't get a text? Mobile to landline text, so nothing to confirm after I assume?

Edit>> No, he didn't activate in store, I'll be doing that for him

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bill_b 

• The number transfer process can take up to 2 hours to complete for a mobile phone number. When you transfer a landline number, the process can take 3 to 6 business days. You may experience mixed service during this process until the transfer is complete. When your number transfer is complete, you will receive a confirmation text message.
  • If you don’t want to wait, you can select a new number when activating, and transfer your old number later.
  • If you’ve waited more than 2 hours, and you’re still experiencing issues, you should contact our Customer Support Agents. Since you’re new to Public Mobile, this will be a 2-step process:
    • First, create a Community account here by selecting ‘Sign In’, then ‘New User? Register here.”
    • Then, start a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon to submit a ticket to our Customer Support Agents by clicking here.

How to choose your Phone Number (publicmobile.ca)

Eligibility Check if your existing number is eligible to move visit Here link 

Spoiler

i suggest you close all Browser and do clear cache and cookies for any Browser,

and try it for a different Browser and open incognito mode,

how to open Browser incognito mode visit Here link,

how to clear cache and cookies and History visit Here link,

and use a Browser from your computer,is better

use Browser microsoft edge or chrome latest version
and just make sure your Browser is up to date update
sometime is the Browser is not update is give a issue.

how to update your Browser visit Here link, 

and Restart your computer, is will help a lot,

and if you use a home internet take your power internet off for about

a 1 minute and put it back on,to refreshing your network,

and Here How To Activate Online visit Here link  for more information,

Activate your Public Mobile SIM card

You'll be up and running in just 4 easy steps, Here link 

for new customers who activate online.only, To get  2GB of monthly bonus data for Free* when you activations on $35, $40, $50,$60, $70 rate plans, for that Promo code for 2GB ,  2GBBONUS , that monthly bonus for 2GB no expires but you have to keep your plan and if you changed your plan you will lost the promo 2GB,just to you know.

put it the email for it and the same email when you do a new activate, Here link,

so when Activate put it both code

1. Enter  Promo Code for 2GB Free, ( 2GBBONUS ) 

2. Enter  Friend Referral Code (??????)  to you will receive a one-time credit of $10..,,

they will applied within 72hr,,,

*for more information about Refer A Friend Reward, How Does It Work visit  Here link,

plus Set up AutoPay and you will receive a $2 credit every 30 days. save money and safe and secure 100%.

Good Luck and your welcome to Public Mobile

with a Beautiful Service you will be very happy..

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@bill_b 

Sounds like a good plan. Landline line ports can take several days as  you mentioned.  

Once he activates a temporary number with at home, online activation, he would have created a self service account.  If in store activation, he would need to create a self service account when he gets home.  

Need Help? Let's chat.