cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting Phone number from shared service

Deniron
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do I port the same cell numbers if the current plan is on a shared plan by others? Will I still be able to port our numbers separately? Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9

@computergeek541 

Well duh....it doesn't mean they still want to be responsible.

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

Except the account holder's name is financially responsible for the entire account so Unless you want that burden once you port out someone else needs to take over the account. I would say that's pretty important point.

The account holder would have already been financially responsible before, regardless. Someone being an authorized user on the account doesn't mean that this person was responsible for paying.

@computergeek541 

Except the account holder's name is financially responsible for the entire account so Unless you want that burden once you port out someone else needs to take over the account. I would say that's pretty important point.

@darlicious wrote:

Master number=Account holder's phone number should be ported last. If the account is to remain open under another person's number that person should transfer the account into their name first before porting out the account holder's number.

On many accounts, there's no such thing as a master number. Depending on how the account is set up, it's possible that all phone numbers on the account have equal status, and it doesn't actually matter which number gets ported out.  Carriers consider all services and plans to belong to the account owner.  Where a customer could run into a problem is if there is some type of "share" or family where the usage is shared and the monthly price is dependent on that.  

Carriers do have primary and secondary/authorized users. However, this has more to do with permissions and what is allowed to be done to the account when contacting customer service. 

in short, any eligible phone number can be ported out from an account with multiple phone numbers.  In the case of the OP, the primary number on a "share" plan could still be ported out, but customer service at the old carrier would need to contact to re-arrange the plan setup. The name on the account doesn't need to be changed regardless of which phone number gets ported out. By default,  a secondary line that is made the primary on a share plan can and would stay under the original account holder's name regardless of the any other name of an authorized user that might be attached to that phone number.

@Anonymous 

Lol.....

@Deniron 

Master number=Account holder's phone number should be ported last. If the account is to remain open under another person's number that person should transfer the account into their name first before porting out the account holder's number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

lol red box jeez

anywho...copy/paste

@Deniron : I seem to recall that care should be taken not to port out the "master" number of the account before the end.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Deniron 

Important to you know when you Transferring your number,

Make sure that you have the old sim card in your phone when you're porting your number.

You should get a message from your old carrier asking to confirm if you would like to port your number. Your reply should be: YES.

@Deniron wrote:

How do I port the same cell numbers if the current plan is on a shared plan by others? Will I still be able to port our numbers separately? Thank you.

Individual numbers can be ported from an account from another carrier.  You don't have to port all numbers.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Deniron wrote:

@Deniron 

You must be talking about a shared plan from another provider other than Public Mobile as Public Mobile does not have shared/family plans/accounts.

Just port the phone number during the Public Mobile SIM card activation.

IF there are terms and conditions with your current provider on the shared plan you will need to review that with them.

Porting from Koodo:

If your switching from Koodo postpaid your can port-in your number during sim activation. Just have your Koodo account number, name on the Koodo account and Koodo number ready and enter it when choosing your number.

If it's Koodo prepaid then you need to click this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Customer Support Agent (CSA). Include the Koodo info above.

Porting your phone number from another cell provider it could take a few hours to complete the port. Using the other cell provider's SIM you should be still receiving calls on it, until the port completes.

If you ported from a landline it could take up to 7 days to complete.

Make sure you do not cancel your previous provider's services.

Incoming calls are usually the last to port over.

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

Need Help? Let's chat.