cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting An Old Number To My Public Mobile

GlennyJ
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi There,
I am new to Public Mobile. I can call out from my new Public Mobile account (attached to a phone I own, which did not have service prior to having it hooked up to Public Mobile). Oddly I can text the ONE PERSON who I texted, when I had my Public Mobile generated number. You see, after getting my Public Mobile account and number, I went online and semi-successfully ported my old Rogers number to my Public Mobile account. The Rogers number was NOT active for some time, and it probably should NOT have ported, but, it kind of did. I just purchased a Public Mobile SIM on Saturday April 10th. However, now, with my old Rogers Number on my Public Mobile phone, I cannot send or recieve texts. I cannot take incoming calls on my Public Mobile, either. I can call out. And, when I call out, people see my old Rogers number that I ported from Rogers using the Public Mobile website. So, in synopsis, in my opinion, my phone number is 'partially ported'. My phone has 1 of the 4 capabilities I am paying for. I can call out, but that is it. I called Rogers and they said my old number is NO LONGER ON THEIR SYSTEM. Does anyone know how to help me get my account and my phone fully functional. Thank you! 
Sincerely,
Glenn

12 REPLIES 12

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@GlennyJ wrote:

Hi There,
I am new to Public Mobile. ...after getting my Public Mobile account and number, I went online and semi-successfully ported my old Rogers number to my Public Mobile account. The Rogers number was NOT active for some time, and it probably should NOT have ported

Indeed the port would definitely have failed since the Rogers account was not active. At this time, as you observed, your outgoing calls will send the Rogers number for caller ID, but since the number has not been ported, incoming calls are still being sent to the inactive number at Rogers.

There are two options to resolve:

1. If you want to keep your previous Rogers number, you need to re-activate your previous Rogers account. That may involve paying for another month of service with them, or other administrative requirements. Then after confirming the Rogers SIM is working again, you'll need to open a request with the moderators to request re-trying your port which involves replying to a confirmation text sent to your Rogers SIM.
  2. If you don't care to keep the previous number you can simply login to your Public Mobile self-serve account and choose "change number" and pick a new number from those offered. You can do this yourself for free once every 30 days. If the system doesn't permit you do to this because of the previous port attempt within 30 days, you'll need to contact the moderators as mentioned in previous replies.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Robg : Yes. But not the old Bell number. That would need to be reactivated to port. The phone would need to be unlocked as well. If it has been with Bell since before 2018 then it could still be locked.

Robg

Can a former LG230 cell on Bell and deactivated for several months accept new Sim card?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Robg : Are you attempting to activate? Did you buy a used phone?

Robg

Robg

Cannot access help. my Public  SIM numbers are claimed as invalid

I would say that Public Mobile assumes all is good when you ported your Rogers number in and they changed your cell number to the Rogers number. But that is all that has happened, your old Rogers number is what people you call will see on their call display etc. When anyone calls your number the call heads to Rogers first as they own that NPA-NNX (Area Code and Exchange). Rogers doesn’t forward to her call on to Public Mobile and to your phone as it is inactive from their point of view.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GlennyJ : Since the Rogers number is dead, use the change number function in the self-serve and select a Public Mobile number.

What happens when you call the number? Did the number originate at Rogers? Would you be able to set up another account there and re-pick up the old number and then port it over?

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey @GlennyJ - that's an interesting problem to have!  A few thoughts here - you can try contacting a Moderator to look at your account and make sure things are still set up properly, either by the SIMon chatbot or directly via private message:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Since you're porting a number that "kinda" works, you can try contacting Telus (parent company of Public Mobile) at a special Porting Telephone number that I'll send you directly - they don't want it openly posted here.

Goodluck with getting it all fixed!  🙂

GlennyJ

Thank you.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@GlennyJ 

Click on SIMon chat bubble and ask to contact a moderator and explain your issue for them to fix.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@GlennyJ 

You are unable to port over from an inactive account.  How long was your Roger's account inactive for?  Your Rogers account is likely closed and the original number lost.  

PM will alway attempt to port your number anyways.  Your port is stuck.  You should be able to dial out and even text out.  Unable to receive texts and calls.  

You will likely need to contact moderator for further assistance.  You probably need to be assigned a new PM phone number.  

To contact moderator via 2 methods:

1. Ticketing system - faster response time

Click on the chat bubble icon on the right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to contact moderator.  Type: Contact moderator. Follow the prompts to submit ticket.  

or

2 Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.