cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting 2 lines from 1 Koodo account?

Garry
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Is there any specific method I should follow to allow this process to happen as smooth as butter? or conversely, anything I should NOT do?

Thanks.

20 REPLIES 20

@winciy0412 that's a good question!  I remember when I ported from Telus, I ended up using the authorized name of each phone number... but you're porting from Koodo, so hopefully it's the same!

Does anyone else remember which "authorized name" they used when porting from a shared account?

winciy0412
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you for the awesome tips!

Question with the following point:

- Your name as the authorized account name in the bottom field.  Be sure to spell it exactly the way it displays on your Koodo account or statement.

Is it the name of the primary account owner that shows up at the top of each page on the bill? Or the name who holds the line / number?

Thanks!

cauchyabel

Despite the fact that I violated some suggestions above, I still ported in my Koodo number with no hassle. 5 minutes, boom.

alikic

Yes, it's helpful, but even more helpful would be that PM either:

- fix the bugs in browsers other than IE, or

- put a simple message to all users when they visit their web pages: "You are using non-compatible browser (IE), some functions may not work as expected".

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

That's really helpful, @UDP7!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

alikic

Yes, that worked, thanks! I've been using Chrome, and everything worked up until that point. I was able to change the phone number (port from Koodo) using Internet Explorer.

UDP7

Whenever I got the Generic Error, I just switched web browsers and it worked.

alikic

I did try multiple times, and then sent private message to Mary_M, about 90 minutes ago.

srlawren

Hi @alikic, Hmm.  Did you happen to try more than once?  Maybe try it a second time to see if you can get past that?  If not, you will need to contact a moderator by private message to request some further help.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  😞

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

alikic

***The next step is to check if your number is eligible to port.  Make sure you FIRST check the "I am authorized" checkbox, and then type in your Koodo phone number, and click the button to check.

I am stuck at this step. First I click on "I am authorized" checkbox, then I type in my Koodo phone number, then I click the button to check, then I get:

Generic Error

Oh no!
It looks like something went wrong, but don’t panic.

Log out and then log back in again to continue. Or return to the Login Page.

Where do I go from here?

alikic

***The next step is to check if your number is eligible to port.  Make sure you FIRST check the "I am authorized" checkbox, and then type in your Koodo phone number, and click the button to check.

I am stuck at this step. First I click on "I am authorized" checkbox, then I type in my Koodo phone number, then I click the button to check, then I get:

Generic Error

Oh no!
It looks like something went wrong, but don’t panic.

Log out and then log back in again to continue. Or return to the Login Page.

Where do I go from here?

srlawren

@UDP7 welcome to Public Mobile!  Although I find it strange that the request succeeded, I'm pleased to say that it sounds like your port completed successfully.  You should not experience any issues.

UDP7

I got a quick question. I wasn't too sure what the authorization name meant (thought it meant previous carrier name so I put Koodo). I also put the IMEI number down. The transfer went through fine, Koodo e-mailed me about my service cancellation and I was able to text and call people with my new SIM. Should I just forget about this or should I worry it might affect me in the future that I enter wrong information?

srlawren

@cauchyabel are you having trouble porting from Koodo?

Try this:

Sign into your Koodo self-serve account.  Change the email address on your Koodo account to an alternate email address.  (Sign up for a free gmail.com or outlook.com address if you don't have a second account handy, though most people do.)

Once that's done, sign into your Public Mobile self-serve account, click on Plans and Addons, and click on Change Phone Number.   Click the option to transfer a phone number from another provider.

The next step is to check if your number is eligible to port.  Make sure you FIRST check the "I am authorized" checkbox, and then type in your Koodo phone number, and click the button to check.  

Next step is the port request form.  On that form, try filling in just this info:

- Your Koodo account number

- Alternate contact number - this can be any phone number you could be reached at, OTHER THAN your own Koodo phone number or your temporary Public Mobile phone number.  This could be your home phone number, your work #, your partner/spouse's #, a parent's phone #, anything but your own

- Your name as the authorized account name in the bottom field.  Be sure to spell it exactly the way it displays on your Koodo account or statement.

Leave all the other fields (PIN, IMEI, are there others?  I'm going on memory here, but leave them blank) and try the port again.

Did that help?

cauchyabel

OMG I already violated at least 2 in here.

-Using same email

-Use another koodo alternate number (What is the alternate number for)

@Garry wrote:

Fantastic Information! 

Thanks.

@Garry You're welcome. Please read the list again I just added one that imm1304 discovered.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Garry

Fantastic Information! 

Thanks.

@Garry "Do nots for Koodo port"

- do not use the same email address for Kood and Public Mobile

- do not request the port-in during activation; take a temporary number, log out, confirm all services are active, log back into your account and select Transfer Number under Change Phone Number

- do not use any identifier except your Koodo account number; it is always the best item for any port-in request

- do not make any errors in the Authourized User; this must be exactly as it appears on your Koodo bill

- do not use the person's Koodo number as the Alternate Number; use someone else's

- do not forget to click "I am authourized ...." BEFORE you entering your Koodo number (courtesy imm1304)

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Sameer
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Port your first line normally. Then, for your second line, add your first # as the referrer to get $1/month off on the second line.

Also, for Koodo: it tells you to setup a new line and then contact Support team on forums for the transfer. Alternatively, what I did that worked is to just transfer/port the number but then give as much info as you can, including the koodo account number, phone IMEI, alternate #, etc.

Hope this helps!

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

Port the secondary number first, then the primary. If you're sharing data, you'll want to do it this way, to avoid being charged for data. If you transfer primary first, the secondary number will be without a data plan, and you could be charged the per MB rate.

Need Help? Let's chat.