cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan pricing increase?

Mana
Mayor / Maire

Wow!! 

This morning I logged into the community site and everything was fine and now when I just logged in, it looks like the PM world has drastically changed in a few hours with new 3G plans and new pricing!!!

I am still confused about what does it mean for the current customers?

- Have the LTE plan pricing changed? If so can someone give a before and after comparison?

- Does this change mean that increase in pricing for current customers even for those on promo plan also coming soon?

Maybe some other members have these questions as well but afraid to ask. 

If someone wise and smart can please explain this to the community that would be much appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

48 REPLIES 48

Bubba
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

no the 6 BG offerd through the 90 day plan was more from what I remeber. I know I dont check the prices that often but why do I still have the 3 GB for the 90 days still? I know there was two specials. Was I that cheap to go up?

there have been so many changes since I got my accont I cant remeber what used to be what. I know at the beginning I refused to day the rediculous prices for the data, as I have no use to watch videos outside, or even check Facehook. But when Uber came along I had to have it

Bubba

I dont understand now how I could reccomed PM to someone now. It was hard enough before tying to tell them there was no tech support/customer service, and they will have to do it temselves.  Extremely hard for most people to swallow.

Now I tell them that, plus also tell them that the price is almost the same as the other companies.

Dont forget some some us are getting a bit cheaper price because we are paying for 3 months ahead for service. Its unheard of. Imagine paying 3 mothns ahead on your cable bill

jpar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

No frills becomes more frills 😞

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I really don't like the new pricing and 3g plans. It will be hard to refer new customers. 

MajorTalent

Thanks. Although I don't recall a notice about 3G being throttled to 2.5MBps (which I've seen many posters complain about), I never got/ saw clear answers on the min/avg/max speeds on 3G or 4G offered here at Public Mobile.

When it comes to DL/ UL speeds, ping tests, latency, and even comparing results against other PM users or carriers in general: information is not ready available from phone reps, self-serve portal, or even the PM community. 

Feel free to Correct and/or Educate me if I am wrong

LTE was default. only those new plans are 3g

MajorTalent

Does that mean we already had 4G LTE by default before the new 3G plans were introduced? (wasn't clearly labelled in my self-serve which type of data i was on, before my usage magically disappeared from the portal again since this announcement)?

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
Less speed and less data for MORE $$$
3G plans are more pricy then the old LTE plans. Youd think it would be a discount.
plans equivalent to bell telus yet no phone support and no option to buy a phone.
Maybe this positions them to have more promos ($5 off etc) but if they are looking to sign up new customers, this is not the way to do it.

Its no frills at loblaws pricing

Garry

Makes no sense that they start advertising like crazy and then lock the door on new customers.
Less for less???..........

jpar

I hope that existing customers will get to keep their grandfathered plans going forward.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mana wrote:

@mimmo thanks.

In order to compete with Chatr or any other carriers for that matter, you have to remember that PM does not have call centres and stores. So the only thing that used to give PM an edge over others was the pricing.  Now if you make the pricing equal to Chatr or other carriers how are you going to compete with other? on what base? How are you going to attract new customers?

@Mana I completely agree,  you have offer something different or be less expencive as you are not offering the typcal features. From memory ( maybe soemone can do an actual pla comparison) PM plans are $5/month less expencive, except for the talk and text wich is $5/month higher.

echf

Yes, I got the 12GB pricing wrong.

However, if you compare 6GB (2GB per month) the increase is still 50%.

I am fairly certain 6GB 90 days used to be $120

BTW If the moderator thinks it is inappropriate or off-topic, you are welcome to delete it. Smiley Happy

@echf, and you must remember that 12GB is promo pricing it is 6GB usually.  If you want the 12GB it is $225

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

echf

My guess is Telus/Koodo are losing their customer to Public Mobile, so they asked Public Mobile to raise the price. Maybe this is something the Public Mobile team cannot control, nevertheless the new price is shocking. 

Length

Talk

Text

Data

Price

Old 90-Day Plan LTE

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

6GB

$120

= $40 / 30 days

New 90-Day Plan LTE

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

6GB

$180

= $60 / 30 days

50% increase!

Unbelievable! Not 5%, 10% but a 50% increase! Inflation Rate is just 1.6% in April. 

Public Mobile clearly don't want any new customer. 

If Telus still want to attract new customer to PM, this pricing won't last long. 

BTW They limited the "3G speed" to 2.5 mbps is misleading! HSPA+ theoretical speed is 21 mbps! At 2.5 mbps, you should feel the different if you coming from LTE. 

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo thanks.

In order to compete with Chatr or any other carriers for that matter, you have to remember that PM does not have call centres and stores. So the only thing that used to give PM an edge over others was the pricing.  Now if you make the pricing equal to Chatr or other carriers how are you going to compete with other? on what base? How are you going to attract new customers?

Anaron
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Nsk143 wrote:
Whoever already enrolled on grandfathered plan 12gb one we should be happy and glad that we make a moved quickly. All these price changes and new plan won't effecting us. It's only for new activation or for users who want to switch current plans.
I m so happy that I give up my freedom plan over pm 12gb lte plan.

I'm on the same plan and I'm happy that I was able to sign up and activate before the July 6th deadline. With that said, I'm very disappointed with the new pricing announcement. The speeds are awful (2.5 Mbps at 3G vs. 12-200 Mbps at 4G LTE). They should've just offered the new 3G plans at a slight discount compared to the 4G LTE ones. The current 2GB/30 days plan at 4G LTE is $20 more expensive. It used to be $40/month and now it's $60.

@IWIK wrote:
The fact that they still have the original non Telus plans with phone support reassures me that my plan is safe. But I'm more concerned about the new plans, recommending PM

With the new prices, I cannot in good faith recommend PM to anyone.  None of these plans are competitively priced.  For the service level, they have gone from one of the most competitvely priced to one of the worst. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mana  there could be so many reasons.  my personal opinion based on these new plans is they have decided to compete with chatr mobile instead of "competing" with the traditional brands like koodo telus bell rogers etc...

Once a customer feels that the PM offerings or speed are not enough they will encourage them to move to koodo.    who kows koodo might start selling PM sims now just like some rogers locations now sell Chatr. it will be a way to get people into the door.

I dont think there is any need to worry at the moment.  as mentioned earlier existings plans will not change at the moment.  if and when they do, everyone will have 30 days to cross or not the bridge.

@makkahn28 yes I agree. 

Was there a customer survey done for this? If so, what customers got this survey? 

I think PM should really reconsider the New plan offerings, UNTIL they have a better understanding, The current  conditions very shocking

Nsk143
Whoever already enrolled on grandfathered plan 12gb one we should be happy and glad that we make a moved quickly. All these price changes and new plan won't effecting us. It's only for new activation or for users who want to switch current plans.
I m so happy that I give up my freedom plan over pm 12gb lte plan.

IWIK
Fix the porting, not the plans

Karnbot13

I don't have any concerns about my plan price changing. Although, I must say the new plans are an interesting way to lower the workload of the moderators. It should cut down nicely on the word of mouth advertising budget as well. Man Wink

It's already been said: current accounts will not be changed by Public Mobile (until notified). My current plan is almost 2 years old, the 2016 fall promo is still honoured, etc. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@stonechucker thanks. 

What do all oracles have to say about this topic and concern?

@Luddite?

As much as I remember, I was going to signup for the 90 for $90 plan....and two days later, that plan was replaced with the 90 for $111 plan, with a whole GB or data for each 30 days, rather than an average of 333 MB.

members were worried they were going to be forced to change, they were not.  Members were told, as they have been told for every expired plan going forward (until today), they would only lose the plan *if they chose to do so*.

this change today is essentially the same as last summer.  Old plans yesterday, new plans today.  Change if you want to.

I am just trying to get some clarifications, I am sorry I am not trying to cause any panic. 

I think last time or last year the changes were not that drastic or sudden. 

This time around it seems drastic and maybe backward changes. 

IWIK
The fact that they still have the original non Telus plans with phone support reassures me that my plan is safe. But I'm more concerned about the new plans, recommending PM

All of these discussions happened last year when PM changed the in market plans.  Did anything change for then 'current' plan holders?  No.

why is everyone expecting a drastic change in the way Public Mobile works?

i do not expect my Fall Promo plan to be axed at this time.  When it was no longer available, my plan didn't switch to the now old 12 GB plan at $186..... it stayed at $120.

please stop with the fear mongoring.  If prices are going to go up, we will be given 30 days or more notice, for those currently on any plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.