cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phones' Life Expectency

NYJohnny
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Greetings,

I purchased the Q6 phone several years ago, and it has proven to be my best phone to date.
I'm not like the rest of my family members that are all I-phone lovers.
Simplicity is fine by me, but I am concerned about its age.
How many years does this particular phone, or battery have in human years?
No rush, but please advise.
Regards
NYJohnny

4 REPLIES 4

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@NYJohnny 

LG has left the mobile phone business in 2021 and only agrees to deliver 3 years of Android update

Your LG Q6 was released in 2017 with Android 7.1.1  and it didn't get the 9.0 Pie update.  I believe your last Android is 8.0 and LG already stopped the software and security support on your phone.  With that, you won't be able to hold on the phone for too long.  You would find it hard to get latest app (incompatibility issue) and also could be potentially unsafe to use without security updates. 

Maybe time to look for a new phone.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Life expectancy is not just about the hardware, it is also the software.  Once updates stop, the software can go stale pretty fast.  Old software can be full of vulnerabilities.  That said, I would say a well supported phone should provide 4-5 years of reliable use.  

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@NYJohnny 

LG stopped producing phone from July 2017 so you won’t get any security updates but if you install a good VPN and malware app, you should be OK.

As long as there are batteries and parts available for the LG phone, you should be OK. 

CharlieWhisky
Mayor / Maire

If you can update your phone to the latest operating system (especially security updates) you are ok, iphone  will usually have longer life with longer ios updates. Apple will also update older iPhones with security updates.

Need Help? Let's chat.