cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone cannot connect to 5g at all

BGK
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Got a 5g plan two days ago and finally got ported over. After the port was able to 5g network but as time went on, it was flipping back to lte quite often. Now the phone won't connect to 5g at all despite the fact that my settings on my s21 ultra is set to 5g autoconnect. I would like to also speak to a CS agent if someone could provide a link

Please help

8 REPLIES 8

Tmoney
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

5G network is quite unreliable to be honest (not just for telus), especially in the sense that it requires you to be in close proximity to a tower or 5G emitter, and it does not cover nearly as much of the landscape as does 4G (LTE).

You could just be in an area which the 5G signal does not penatrate to. Try going to a different area and testing again.

Here is publics coverage map, see if you are in 5g area : https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage

Tmoney
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The “4G” (or 5G for that matter) in the plan name is used to refer to the speed of data on the plan. All plans, regardless of the name, will work with the 3G, 4G, and 5G networks... it's honestly a bit if a marketing gimmick, as it just used to refer to the capped speed that the provider sets. In Publics case , 5G is capped at 250mbps, other providers are different..

For example, even on a 3G plan you will connect to a 5G network, but your speed will just be capped at 3mbps by the provider, because of your plan selection.

Google speed test and run it to see your actually speeds.

XxSimranjeetxX

On this Black Friday, I was on 4G plan for like 3 days, but I was getting 5G connectivity. It is weird. I have Samsung Galaxy S21 plus. And I didn't change anything after switching over to PM. I am not complaining though.

Hollister
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@BGK 

See what an agent has to say.

• you can send a private message to our Agents by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:

• Monday to Sunday: 9 AM to 10 PM EST

Keep an eye on the envelope icon in top right hand corner for a reply from the agent.

BGK

Lte:

Download 50.9

Upload 12.6

When I was able to get 5g connectivity download speeds were nearly 250.

Ive checked speeds from home on lte and there like at 0.4

I've reset my network settings.

HI @BGK 

should have nothing to do with eSIM

try Reset All networks.   and check again in different area 

Hollister
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@BGK 

If you do a speed test what are you getting?

BGK

Not sure if this has anything to do with my esim.

Need Help? Let's chat.