cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone and data in Belize

Victorypoint1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi folks. My wife and I are going to Belize soon for a holiday and we just need to confirm how to use phone and data while there. We both have Public Mobile plans - wife on iPhone, I'm on Google Pixel. Our understanding from reading previous posts is that PM does not include Belize in the international plan, that we can use use Airalo for a data eSIM, and can use TextNow for phone and texting with a temporary number over data and Wifi. Does this all sound correct? Do we need to pre-purchase any credits on Airalo and TextNow before we head down there?  I guess this means we absolutely cannot send or receive sms texts or phone calls on our regular PM numbers while there?

Any help is appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Victorypoint1 You're correct, PM Does not have service in Belize.  The international coverage is based on the calls coming from Canada.  If I were you I'd set up as much as you can from home.  Check textnow, but I think the free account may be all you need.  The free tier allows for text and phone calls.  If the number goes unused for a week or more they might revoke your number and you'll have to get a new number.  Buy whatever Airalo plan you feel you'll need and it'll be ready to go when you arrive.  Once you're in Belize you can just make the esim your primary SIM and you should be good.  Refer to Airalo for any specific activation instructions.

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Public Mobile only offer service in Canada and US roaming in the US since you were going to Central America then you’ll have to get a travel SIM. You can also use WhatsApp(both parties have it), Textnow (is your number and used to call with Wi-Fi and text) and there are many other options.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

PM provides service in Canada and USA (with US add-on or particular Can/US plan) ONLY!

If country you are going is not in Can/USA you will not have PM service.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Victorypoint1 

you'll have no PM service when you are in Belize. You'll need a local sim and a cheap plan. Try free voip app such as TextNow for free calls / texts using local wifi or separatley purchased data.

Need Help? Let's chat.