cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Apps - Voip, Talkatone, TextNow

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

(1.) Do any of the free iOS apps allow call forwarding?

I have tried Talkatone and TextNow and it appears you have to have the pay version only to set up call forwarding. Talkatone seems to only offer USA phone numbers and TextNow offers Canadian numbers from a VoIP service called Iristel.  

Secondly to secure a Craigslist Account, they sometimes ask for a phone number to confirm an account. My landline number no longer is accepted nor was the TextNow or Talkatone. My land line was a number issued from Telus but now on VoIP.ms. VoIP.ms warns not to take DIDs for using on Craigslist.  Also I have read Craigslist has a third party that rejects VoIP numbers and prepaid mobile numbers. My mobile number was Telus prepaid ported to PM and my wife’s number was Telus postpaid to prepaid and then ported to PM.

(2.) How would third party know my land line is VoIP as the number was ported from Telus?

Craigslist accepts our prepaid numbers (burner) but now rejects our land line. If they tighten up.....no more Craigslist availability for me 😟😟 

I think this is a huge mistake on their part as more and more people are moving to voip and certainly  the majority of prepaid users are NOT spammers. But I do realize that the political parties use VoIP temporarily at pre election time as a low cost option as do other legitimate callers and of course the unwanted callers too. And as a hind sight thought, I guess some of the PM plans could be used for temporary solicitation as well.  

(3.) Does any  one have a workaround for Craigslist?

24 REPLIES 24

@mh1983 

Thanks. I was just making sure that the APP on the phone was not the key to call forward BUT the setting on the APP is on the Fongo side of things. 

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Hi. Firstly I don’t know how I did it, but it appears I claimed the solution as one of my posts.

Can some one reset it?

Ok when it comes to Fongo and to have their call forwarding work for me. 

1. Do I have to be logged into the APP?

2. Do I have to be on wifi or data?

3. Can my screen be locked?

You want to forward calls from the Fongo number to another one, right? If so, all you have to of course log in to *set* call forwarding, but it'll just work if enabled. No need to active have the app loaded or be on a a wifi/data connection at that point; that's only needed to make/receive calls directly from Fongo.

Hi. Firstly I don’t know how I did it, but it appears I claimed the solution as one of my posts.

Can some one reset it?

Ok when it comes to Fongo and to have their call forwarding work for me. 

1. Do I have to be logged into the APP?

2. Do I have to be on wifi or data?

3. Can my screen be locked?

@gpixel wrote:

@LurganIeUk honestly, I don't even register for the craigslist account. I just do it through my email without the phone number registration

Thats interesting. I have never tried it that way. I have a few CL accounts and that way I can see all my ads and renew them. And of course redo the ones that disappear with out notice. 

For some reason the odd ad will ask for a phone number before I can Publish the ad which is a PITA. Just to be clear I am not talking about putting my phone number in the ad for a contact.

Thus my other questions about free phone apps with call forward. I would put a free app phone number in CL that would forward to my PM account.  

@mh1983 

I found how to contact Craigslist and it is fixed. Thanks !!!

@LurganIeUk honestly, I don't even register for the craigslist account. I just do it through my email without the phone number registration.

*I see, you have a lot of ads. what kind of stuff do you sell, by the way?

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@LurganIeUk 

I ported my Talkatone number to fongo and something strange is happening. Fongo is working great for talk and forwarding, but i still have Talkatone account with the same number and can receive and send sms messages and I can still dial out, i just don't receive any calls or sms from fongo users. I kinda like it and I'm not complaining to them about it:)

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Fongo and freephoneline offer free forwarding

Both are great

Freephoneline can be used with any open sip phone. Works really great with android native sip app, integrated into dialer. But some phones have it disabled. If that's the case I highly recommend linphone. I replaced my home phone with it more than a decade ago and never paid a cent for it again (config file costs though)

Fongo is free, but if you port in any number to fongo for $25 you don't have to 'maintain' it anymore (ie. Call in every 90 days) i found that great option not to chase my number anymore and port

YIKES!!!! And APP for Mac is a PITA. 

I will just try Fongo. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 1.36.01 PM.png

• Install their crappy java desktop computer app (to make an outgoing call once every month or so to keep the account "active")
  • Use the web admin login to set forwarding (done via setting simultaneous ring - but will immediately forward if the desktop app is not running) - set the number of rings longer than your forwarded number takes to go to voicemail so voicemail has handled by your mobile's voicemail

Then any calls to that number will effectively be forwarded. Numbers available in most major canadian centres.

mh1983

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@mh1983 wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@Korth wrote:

Fongo is very popular. Around here and many other sites.

Skype is good. Though it would be largely meaningless on iPhones (which already have FaceTime).

Whatsapp still has its diehards. I haven't used it in years because privacy issues. (Privacy issues which aren't additional issues if you're already all over Facebook.)

Signal is quite excellent (and my personal preference). Though I've read complaints that the iOS versions suck, I can't confirm this since iDon't iPhone.

Well I have lots to try! FaceTime is good and has a audio only option and fortunately our close and extended family are mostly Apple users. But Skype and Zoom Bridges the gap for video chats. FaceTime does not really have a number or the ability to call forward. 

So will drag drag up my old Skype ID and will see if I can get a free number and try call forwarding if that is an option. 

Others for me to try:

Fongo

whatsapp ....... I am not into Facebook or any other social network. What are the privacy issues?

Signal

A quick google search revealed this about Skype call forwarding.

mh1983_0-1604604024215.png

So, forwarding to "real" numbers (which I think you're wanting to do) will cost extra.

I guess there is value to Skype if you use the free options. And the non availability of a Canadian number makes it unappealing. And the cost is not good either. Looks like Fongo has the best options.  Now will see if Fongo will work out of the Zoiper app. 

I can help you with that question, too: It won't. 🙂 You have to use Fongo's proprietary calling app, but it works fine and is pretty lightweight.

If you were looking for a service to configure in Zoiper, you'd have to look at something like Freephoneline (I think it's a subsidiary of Fongo). You pay for an unlock key and get SIP credentials that you can then use to configure a 3rd party VoIP client. It's an upfront cost but after that it's free for life and includes the features already mentioned for Fongo Mobile.

@mh1983 wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@Korth wrote:

Skype is good. Though it would be largely meaningless on iPhones (which already have FaceTime).

Whatsapp still has its diehards. I haven't used it in years because privacy issues. (Privacy issues which aren't additional issues if you're already all over Facebook.)

Signal is quite excellent (and my personal preference). Though I've read complaints that the iOS versions suck, I can't confirm this since iDon't iPhone.

Well I have lots to try! FaceTime is good and has a audio only option and fortunately our close and extended family are mostly Apple users. But Skype and Zoom Bridges the gap for video chats. FaceTime does not really have a number or the ability to call forward. 

So will drag drag up my old Skype ID and will see if I can get a free number and try call forwarding if that is an option. 

Others for me to try:

Fongo

whatsapp ....... I am not into Facebook or any other social network. What are the privacy issues?

Signal

So, forwarding to "real" numbers (which I think you're wanting to do) will cost extra.

I guess there is value to Skype if you use the free options. And the non availability of a Canadian number makes it unappealing. And the cost is not good either. Looks like Fongo has the best options.  Now will see if Fongo will work out of the Zoiper app. 

@Korth wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Whatsapp's privacy issues are ... complex. I couldn't really explain without launching into a tinfoil-hat rant. Remember that Whatsapp is (now) owned and operated by Facebook and it helps make Facebook a lot of money from everyone who uses it.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=whatsapp+privacy+issues

Ok.  I trust your judgement.....I WON’T try Whatsapp! 

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Whatsapp's privacy issues are ... complex. I couldn't really explain without launching into a tinfoil-hat rant. Remember that Whatsapp is (now) owned and operated by Facebook and it helps make Facebook a lot of money from everyone who uses it.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=whatsapp+privacy+issues

mh1983

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@Korth wrote:

Others for me to try:

Fongo

Signal

@Korth wrote:

Others for me to try:

Fongo

Signal

@mh1983 

Signal does support call forward. It's not a feature I've used (or have much to say about) since I never enabled it, I just let my phone software handle call forwarding and I let PM/Telus voicemail intercept my incoming.

mh1983

@Korth wrote:

Whatsapp still has its diehards. I haven't used it in years because privacy issues.

Signal is quite excellent (and my personal preference). Though I've heard the iOS versions suck, I can't confirm this since iDon't iPhone.

Right, and a lot of those are more video chat apps (that can also do regular phone dialing with purchased credits, I believe). The question was about whether call forwarding is included in any offers. I don't think apps like Skype, Whatsapp, or Signal are designed with those types of call features in mind.

@mh1983 wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@mh1983 wrote:

I'm not sure about your Craigslist questions, sorry. Have you tried looking at any of their documentation or contacting their support?

Craigslist support? You have to be kidding. 

No. So, you've tried it, then, and it didn't work out? 

I will try. 

mh1983

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@mh1983 wrote:

I'm not sure about your Craigslist questions, sorry. Have you tried looking at any of their documentation or contacting their support?

Craigslist support? You have to be kidding. 

No. So, you've tried it, then, and it didn't work out? 

@mh1983 wrote:

Craigslist support? I will try. 

mh1983

mh1983

Go with Fongo Mobile.

https://www.fongo.com/fongo-mobile/

It includes call forwarding and more features for free. Texting packages are extra but reasonable. Calls (which you're asking about) are unlimited and free; you just need a good WiFi signal or data connection. The app itself is free but has (minimally disruptive) ads. You can make a one time payment to have those removed, but the app works just fine either way.

I've used them for years as a secondary line and they're great. 

Need Help? Let's chat.