cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM it’s time to support eSim

Khibma
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

NOT A QUESTION - just a plea to support eSim.

I’m just blown away by this.  I’m in the US and just bought an iPhone 14, because after math, I can save maybe $40-50 on the phone. 

Hmmmm, why does this phone not have an eSim slot.  Google…google…interesting. iPhone 14 in USA is eSim only. 
ok, how do I get PM to work with that. Google.  Google.  WTF. PM does not support eSim?

So now I need to return it.  Probably lose the $30 on the screen protector. Buy it again in Canada. So my $40 savings just turned into a loss of $40. 

Literally. Wow.  I just can’t believe I brought these 2 seemingly non-issue things together. All my research ahead of time and this happens. 

13 REPLIES 13

PMsince2015

I'm on a similar boat and unfortunately I'm afraid I'll leave to Lucky Mobile soon.
Although my phone has one sim card slot, it's taken by my foreign SIM that I always need to keep active, that means I need to switch my Canadian number to eSIM.

I know the parent network won't allow Tier 3 brand to have too good of an offer, but maybe, if you keep pushing, eSIM might happen eventually.

Think not only about customers with eSIM-only iPhones, but also about those who need dual-sim feature.

@Khibma   I am also sorry if my reply offended you.  I just want to point out that since the rumour about eSIM only, it was a big news for the Apple Community in Canada and it was such a big relief for the Apple Community in Canada that we do not have to follow US this time with eSIM only iPhone.

Personally, I do not agree iPhone strategy with eSIM only device at this moment.  While US is more prepared with eSIM, still some US MVNOs are like PM, no eSIM support.   And also,  you are not the only one, we see people like you trying to order iPhone from US and got stuck.  Again, agree or not, it is a fact and reality that not all Canadian providers are supporting eSIM, PM is not the only one. 

@Khibma wrote:

I have to laugh at your response and a couple others. Yea, at the end of the day it’s my responsibility. But telling me I should have done my research. C’mon. You know nothing about how much research I put into this. People make mistakes, and this is on me.  But 2 companies with their business decisions collided to help me make that mistake. 

it’s very apparent the majority of people on these forums leave and breathe cell phones, providers and plans.  I buy a new phone every 3 years and was with my previous provider for almost 10 years. There’s a whole other group of people, like me, who don’t have the time and energy to follow the cell phone world with a microscope. 

everyone keep lecturing me on the pitfalls of eSim and why apple is Orwellian. (Further laughs). I just want a cell phone that works and I’ll be on my way.  Well, I am on my way, I know my options. 

@Khibma , I am sorry if I may have made you feel like I was lecturing you. Personally it was not my intention if I made you feel that way. I was only giving you my opinions of my own personal experiences. I really wanted to try eSIM so I tried a carrier that offered it which unfortunately didn’t work out for me! To add to this Public Mobile often has a lot of technical issues that either never get resolved or fix 1 things & other things break! So, in my opinion… them adding eSIM here would be another struggle for them to fix & keep fixing to work!

As far as phone experience I have no where near the experience you have with phones! I’ve only been using them since 2003 & my 1st phone was a flip phone that lasted a few years before I purchased a smart phone! The phone I have now is an iPhone 14 Pro (as of March 18th, 2023) but my previous phone was a iPhone 6s (I will only use Apple products from here on out 😁) which I purchased new in February 2016 & used for over 7 years but unfortunately I needed a new phone recently, which I have researched previously for a couple months while thinking about it trying to decide … the iPhone 14, 14 Plus, 14 Pro & 14 Pro Max when I finally decided on the iPhone Pro due to what it offers which should last me hopefully close to as many years as my last phone. I only purchase what I love. I can not afford to waste money on something I don’t & what won’t last me! Also, at the same time I purchased a good case for it & screen protector (always do with every phone) along with camera protector!
I did look into purchasing it in the USA 1st but after comparing them & seeing by luck that USA one only supports eSIM I didn't buy it. I was lucky. I have made my fair of mistakes & some were very serious with huge loss of money & time! No one is perfect.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I appreciate it. Sharing one’s experience’s helps others.

@hTideGnow 

I agree with your statement about Apple. I was at Costco and they sell unlocked iPhones at these price:

IMG_0713.jpeg

HI @Emmotte1  Yes, PM will totally support e-SIM, in the future but not now still

To me, I think Apple was pushing eSIm too far by selling eSIM only iPhone in US.  I know couple of my US coworkers in fact needs to buy iPhone from Canada just to get the dual sim version here.  i don't think the market is ready for a eSIM only version.  

Emmotte1

That sucks, PM should totally support e-sim

Khibma

I have to laugh at your response and a couple others. Yea, at the end of the day it’s my responsibility. But telling me I should have done my research. C’mon. You know nothing about how much research I put into this. People make mistakes, and this is on me.  But 2 companies with their business decisions collided to help me make that mistake. 

it’s very apparent the majority of people on these forums leave and breathe cell phones, providers and plans.  I buy a new phone every 3 years and was with my previous provider for almost 10 years. There’s a whole other group of people, like me, who don’t have the time and energy to follow the cell phone world with a microscope. 

everyone keep lecturing me on the pitfalls of eSim and why apple is Orwellian. (Further laughs). I just want a cell phone that works and I’ll be on my way.  Well, I am on my way, I know my options. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Khibma   you should have done your research before buying your iPhone from USA.  Actually, it was a big thing for iPhone to release eSIM only version in USA.  Canadian was scared for couple days until getting the confirmation that we have a dual sim version here. 

You have to understand Public Mobile is just a Tier 3 provider and Tier 3 providers only offer very basic service and only expand to new features and technology when it is absolutely need to.   Within Tier 3 providers, Chatr also does not support eSim and only Lucky has it.  But of course, All Tier 2 and Tier 1 providers offers eSIM support 

Would PM support eSIM, yes, it will.  Would it be soon, No, it won't. 

Until major brands like  Apple,  Samsung and Google offering eSIM only devices on their flagship in Canada, I don't see PM will be supporting that.  What I see is that when you suddenly see PM and Chatr both roll out eSIM support, you know the next to come would be  eSIM only devices will be here in Canada in the following 6 months

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Khibma wrote:

NOT A QUESTION - just a plea to support eSim.

I’m just blown away by this.  I’m in the US and just bought an iPhone 14, because after math, I can save maybe $40-50 on the phone. 

Hmmmm, why does this phone not have an eSim slot.  Google…google…interesting. iPhone 14 in USA is eSim only. 
ok, how do I get PM to work with that. Google.  Google.  WTF. PM does not support eSim?

So now I need to return it.  Probably lose the $30 on the screen protector. Buy it again in Canada. So my $40 savings just turned into a loss of $40. 

Literally. Wow.  I just can’t believe I brought these 2 seemingly non-issue things together. All my research ahead of time and this happens. 

@Khibma , I read that when I was researching purchasing my iPhone 14 Pro recently that the USA version only had an eSIM & no SIM card slot! Mine is the Canadian version so I have both (eSIM & SIM card slot). I believe that if Public Mobile offered eSIM that it would be 1 more thing that they could mess up for Us! 🤣. Just my opinion though! 🙂 Plus it would be difficult, inconvenient or impossible to switch to a different phone for troubleshooting or if a phone is lost!

I’m sorry you went through so much trouble. I know it’s disappointing & frustrating!

Edit: When I was trying Lucky Mobile recently to see how their service was & to try the free Wi-Fi calling app (now decommissioned) I saw that they support eSim but they didn’t seem to have a clue how to set it up! They turned out to be a nightmare anyways! They offered me 3 months of unlimited calls on the $15 a month plan due to decommissioning the Wi-Fi calling app but once I paid for the service they denied it & refused to honour it! So, with that said every provider has negatives & positives! We just need to find one that suits our needs & we can tolerate!

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Khibma 

Yes this was announced on all the YouTube videos that the American iPhone 14s' only comes in eSIM but the Canadian version comes with both back in September of 2022.

If you are looking for a budget plans with eSIM, check out Koodo mobile (Telus 2nd tier) starter plans or Lucky mobile (Bell).

The only 3rd tier carriers that doesn't have eSIM is Public (Telus) and Chatr (Rogers) but who knows they might bring it to PM.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Khibma 

I guess you missed that important detail when researching before purchase. I find that selling such an expensive phone with only e-sim capability is ridiculous.....like Apple doesn't already exert excessive control over their device owners already that to limit a user to providers that only offer e-sim is Orwellian.

Khibma

Some small differences.  Yes.  Like being completely and 100% unusable with PM. 

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't know why everyone is so eager to get eSIM, it just means the carrier has that much more control over you. With a physical SIM you just pop it in whatever device you want to use and off you go. eSIM you need them to do a lot of it for you and they will charge you for the privilege. Most of the time if want to switch phones, you have to call and pay, want to get an eSIM, call and pay.

Yes, the US iPhones have some small differences from Canadian models, the 14 is missing the physical SIM as you discovered, but has mmwave 5G.

Need Help? Let's chat.