cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Mobile Survey

petemcdonnell
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I activated an account with Public Mobile I created a new email address for registration. I just noticed that I received a survey from PC Mobile to that newly created email address that is specific to Public Mobile.

Is there a privacy information leak?

Anyone else receive this PC Mobile survey or other unusual email to the email address used with PM?

24 REPLIES 24

@zhadj030 PC & Public are both run through Telus, so there is info sharing behind the scenes

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

I received a survey from Public mobile last week, and today I receive a survey from PC mobile. I ported from Wind with no problems so I don't ssee how PC got my email and emailing me a survey

I received a Public Mobile survey today, asking about why I switched to this service, who I was with previously, etc....

Definately branded as Public Mobile.

i thought I read that the Public Mobile database is shared with Koodo for the account side of things.... I suppose PC Mobile could be in that database also, however it does seem fishy that a PC Mobile survey is being sent to Public Mobile users in the cases stated in the majority of this thread.

Devil_tear
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
@Mary_M just to give you mods an heads up on this... Nothing major but just curious of why we all got this... Thanks!!

Devil_tear
I got it too... I just thought that my number was "recycled" and the person before me was with PC mobile... But I see that it is happening to lots of us...

BigD
I got the same email from PC asked why I left.

It looks like some message up in their system, as they are all under same prepaid service, just different brand name.

It is better to have offcial answer to this issue.  It worries people.

@hummuschips wrote:

Possibly they both use the same survey company and cicic.net messed up the database and thought you were a pc mobile customer that switched to public.

@hummuschips my Public SIM is showing PC Mobile (and Koodo & Telus!) so def something is messed up on network

hummuschips
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

That's why I said it was absurd.  Probably their databases got messed up somehow during the promo and the system that detects when a PC Mobile customer leaves and sends a survey is somehow picking up new Public Mobile customers.  I certainly didn't get any survey from PC(joined 2 weeks ago) but it seems like more recent customers are.  I would think one of the times when they took the system down for maintenance is when this started happening.

petemcdonnell

@hummuschips wrote:

nobody is selling email addresses.  PC Mobile is run by Telus who owns Public as well.... did you guys all have porting issues and had to contact a mod?  Maybe one of their troubleshooting steps is to port the number to PC and then to Public in the background? (I know absurd, more likely somehow their system for detecting if a customer left got messed up somwhow)

Huh?????

No, I never had any issues with a port.

glblanc

Nope. No issues with port.

hummuschips

nobody is selling email addresses.  PC Mobile is run by Telus who owns Public as well.... did you guys all have porting issues and had to contact a mod?  Maybe one of their troubleshooting steps is to port the number to PC and then to Public in the background? (I know absurd, more likely somehow their system for detecting if a customer left got messed up somwhow)

petemcdonnell

@Meeko wrote:

I got link to same survey from PC mobile, never been with them before; it was the email address I used to sign up for Public Mobile a couple weeks ago (I used different email address than my normal one) 

So definitley a mixup in a database somewhere. 

Or someone is selling email addresses... and names (Mine had my first name in the body of the email).

Meeko

I got link to same survey from PC mobile, never been with them before; it was the email address I used to sign up for Public Mobile a couple weeks ago (I used different email address than my normal one) 

So definitley a mixup in a database somewhere. 

glblanc

Very strange because I got the same email titled "PC Mobile survey" asking for feedback on why I left.

I didn't have anything to do with PC Mobile service.

I transferred my number from RBC Talk & Save (http://wireless.talkandsave.ca/index.htm) - so it wasn't like I had a Telus or Koodo number.

Someone needs to dig deeper into this... 

petemcdonnell

@MoreYummy wrote:

Did you port the number from PC mobile?  If so, its normal.

Also these mobiles companies are under the same parent company.

I've never had any dealings with PC Mobile in my life.  Email address is unique and didn't exist before signing up with Public Mobile.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Did you port the number from PC mobile?  If so, its normal.

Also these mobiles companies are under the same parent company.

petemcdonnell

@hummuschips wrote:

Possibly they both use the same survey company and cicic.net messed up the database and thought you were a pc mobile customer that switched to public.

If that's the case, that's a really crappy survey company and I hope Public Mobile stops using them immediately.

hummuschips

jheili99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

hi..

for what i know: Telus owns PM,Koodo as well as PC mobile sharing the same data base......

might be wrong, but i think that's what i read somewhere...

cheers

swz5005

When in doubt, I would recommend you just ignore/delete that email. 

petemcdonnell

This same email address had received a survey from Public Mobile (via cicic.net).  I noted that this PC Mobile "survey" uses a similar link.  Perhaps cicic.net is where the leak is, if there is one...

Is that a legitimate survey company?  Didn't see much about them online...

petemcdonnell

It has the PC Mobile logo at the top and the subject is "Tell us why you left for your chance to win!"

I've never had any business dealings with PC Mobile before.

hummuschips

Are you sure the survey wasn't from Public Mobile?

Need Help? Let's chat.