cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ontario plan, visiting Quebec

samcat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I have $15 plan with the following.

- 100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk + Unlimited Incoming Minutes
- 250 MB at 3G speed
- Unlimited International Text

My home province is Ontario but I may need to goto Quebec for 1-2 weeks. 

- If I were to goto Quebec, can I use my phone (phone, data, text) without any roaming charges? I have Canada-Wide talk so I assumed at least calling and texting is OK.

- As soon as I cross Ontario into Quebec, will it roam?

- If I am charged for use in Quebec, does it roam automatically? Do I have to either take out my SIM card, or put it on airplane mode to stop it from roaming?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

samcat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks, what a clear response!

@samcat wrote:

Hello, I have $15 plan with the following.

- 100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk + Unlimited Incoming Minutes
- 250 MB at 3G speed
- Unlimited International Text

My home province is Ontario but I may need to goto Quebec for 1-2 weeks. 

- If I were to goto Quebec, can I use my phone (phone, data, text) without any roaming charges? I have Canada-Wide talk so I assumed at least calling and texting is OK.

- As soon as I cross Ontario into Quebec, will it roam?

- If I am charged for use in Quebec, does it roam automatically? Do I have to either take out my SIM card, or put it on airplane mode to stop it from roaming?

Travelling from one province to another isn't roaming. Roaming is the act of your phone connecting to the a different network. The network is one network across the country.  I believe that the reason people started talking about "home provinces" is partially the fault of some of Public Mobile's past help articles. There's really no such thing. 

In the case of a province-wide calling plan (which isn't what you have), even the province of your phone number still would not make any difference. The province that you could make outgoing calls to would be based on where you currently are at the time of making the call.  As for incoming calls, it makes no idfference where you are in Canada while using the Public Mobile network.

As for text messaging and data, it doesn't matter which province you're using it in, on any of Public Mobile's past or present plans.

Since you have a Canada-wide calling plan, there is no difference if you use the phone in Ontario or Quebec (or anywhere else in Canada). Please remember, this isn't what roaming is. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@samcat : All services work while in Canada and connected to Telus or Bell cell towers. No roaming, no extra charges.

Edit: Inbound texts work in the US. Some reports of inbound calls. Outbound needs the purchase of roaming add-ons. Roaming only works in the US.

Need Help? Let's chat.