cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On and Off use of SIM and PM

EdmGuy1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I bought the sim, and am using DATA only 1GB for 30 days on a "pay as I go" basis. So shut off all iphone references to he assigned phone number. I assume the sim will not work after 30 days and be "silent". I will be leaving the country for 7 months after the 30 days and when I return I want to continue to use the sim - this time with a full voice text data plan for 6 more months until this snowbird heads south again. What does PM do when people don't pay add more $$ to the account - but months later come back and try to use the sim and add more dollars with the same account number?
4 REPLIES 4

EdmGuy1
Thank you all.

You CANNOT use your old SIM after the account deactivates. If you continue data only and stick with Fongo, just order a new SIM to arrive on your return (cannot be sent to the USA), then activate with a new phone number and claim the shipping rebate.

Reset iMessage to your iCloud account and everyone can still reach you there when you are online. 

As @geogolem said, you must purchase some plan (10 day texting being the cheapest) every 90 days while away if you wish to retain your PM account. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

EdmGuy1
It sounds like I have to start over again as I am gone for 7 months. I guess I will need to contact them to advise I want to use the same sim rather than buy a new one as I set up the new account. Seems all I can do unless there is something else I could do. I have Fongo and my old number was ported to Fongo so covered long term. Definitely never going to port it to PM as it appears they don't have a vacation mode like Rogers and Telus did,

geogolem
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

After your plan expires if autopay is disabled and there are no funds to renew the plan. The account goes into a "suspended" state. It will remain in this state for 90 days and then the account will be deleted. As long as you add more funds and/or do a plan change before that 90 days of suspension runs out you will be fine. If you intend to use a different plan when you return just make sure you dont top up the account first - as that will likely renew the previous data only plan. Instead do a plan change and choose to have the change take effect immediately - you will then be able to add funds and pay for the new plan rate.

EDIT: More specific to your situation - since you will be gone for 7 months... you could pay for a 10 day or 30 day barebones service after 89 days of plan suspension.  Your phone would then be usable for that period... and then the suspend state would re-engage and it could be dormant for another 90 days.

For example, when your current plan expires - your phone would go into "suspend state". 89 days later you can pay 11$ for the 10 day text only plan. your phone would then be able to send/receive texts for 10 days.. and then would re-enter the suspend state. As long as you do something with the account within 90 days (i.e. 89 days later) you will be fine.

You can manage all this from the internet - and dont need to be in the country to do it.

Need Help? Let's chat.