cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd phone connect

ladybearbc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Almost every time I dial a number, there is one ring on the phone, a click and the phone continues to ring for my call. This is odd and disconcerting - one thinks they are being cut off.

In the past week or so, almost every call I have has really bad reception - either it is difficult to understand the other party - or they have problems understanding or hearing me. It has been so bad a couple of times that I have had to hang up and call back in the hopes the reception will be better (sometimes it is noticeably so - other times not).

Are both of these problems because we are on a second tier line (ie the phone line is not owned by Public but is routed by another carrier)?

10 REPLIES 10

@slash407 "the data takes precedent over the calls unvfourtanely" is just not true. Calls take priority over "just" data when using IP.

Do you have any interest in filling in gaps in your knowledge? 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@slash407 wrote:

phone quality is bad overall, the data takes precedent over the calls unvfourtanely, so call quality isnt good with any provider in that regard, but alot of times the person on the other line isnt speaking clearly, the mics i assume are really sensitive, alot of times when i have "bad signal" its just the person on the other line needs to learn how to talk and speak up too and hold the phone where it isnt smearing their face and the mic.

The days of analog calling networks are gone. While there are situations in which there can be cutting out/drop outs in sound, the extreme fluctuations in audio quality are nothing compared to when connected to an analog network from about 20 to 25 years ago.  Part of the idea of using the digital networks was to make it so that the calls either worked or they didn't and with much more consistency in quality.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ladybearbc wrote:

Almost every time I dial a number, there is one ring on the phone, a click and the phone continues to ring for my call. This is odd and disconcerting - one thinks they are being cut off.

Have you found any correlation with geography/location when you place your call?  If you're serviced by a couple cell sites of similar signal strength, sometimes handoffs between towers can cause clicks and audio distortions.  Also, I've heard the iPhone 6 might be a bit more prone to cellular antenna issues, so noting proximity to cell towers might give some clues...

@ladybearbc wrote:

Iphone 6

Sorry my knowledge with iPhones is limited, maybe @CalgaryBen  could provide some input if it could be a setting on your phone. The fact that it doesn't happen with all calls suggests that it's not a phone/line issue. In the past, when this has happened to me it's usually when the receiver of the call has some type of spam caller check service enabled so the call gets routed to the spam checking provider before being routed back to them.

ladybearbc

Iphone 6

@ladybearbc wrote:

The dialling 'ring, click, continue ring' happens with most calls.

The bad connection happens with a lot of numbers and seems to be worse with 800 numbers

What is the make/model of your phone?

ladybearbc

The dialling 'ring, click, continue ring' happens with most calls.

The bad connection happens with a lot of numbers and seems to be worse with 800 numbers

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@ladybearbc wrote:

In the past week or so, almost every call I have has really bad reception - either it is difficult to understand the other party - or they have problems understanding or hearing me. It has been so bad a couple of times that I have had to hang up and call back in the hopes the reception will be better (sometimes it is noticeably so - other times not).

Are both of these problems because we are on a second tier line (ie the phone line is not owned by Public but is routed by another carrier)?

No, that is not the case. Public Mobile uses the Telus network. Maybe the issue is with the receivers line sounds like it might be a VOIP line. Does this happens with all numbers that you are calling?

ladybearbc

Funnily enough - this started happening with avengeance after I couldn't call 800 numbers and did the 'lost phone' technique with a restart on the phone.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@ladybearbc Have you tried restarting your phone?
Need Help? Let's chat.