cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number transfer

supremechris070
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

(I sent this message to CS but just thought I'd ask here for potential reference for others in future as well as maybe get an answer from someone before CS replies as I'm eager to get to the bottom of this)

So when I activated my sim card I chose to transfer my number from my previous carrier being Fido. I do have a balance owing however I have come to learn that is irrelevant when requesting to transfer your number. Legally they MUST comply and then sort the balance owing with you directly and/or through creditors. I LOST the phone I had with them, therefore including the SIM and evidently this means I would not receive any such text to confirm the transfer, and do not know the IMEI from that phone. I did however provide my associated account number and the transfer was confirmed on PM end. I can receive text messages from friends but all calls and verification texts like for my banking do not come through and calls go to my FIDO account attached to that number. How is it possible that I recieve texts (except short code) to this account but phone calls go to the other account? I do not understand. I really would like full access to service to my phone number with PM am wondering if there is anything that can be done? I spoke with someone at FIDO and they said they wouldn't close my account on request because of balance owing and I would have to wait until the account is suspended for non payment. This can't be proper protocol can it? 

12 REPLIES 12

@supremechris070 wrote:

Okay so hopefully I can explain this in understandable terms. When I signed up with public mobile I asked to transfer my number I never got anything saying that the transfer was declined and I was given access to the number and can receive texts from the number but I believe only from public mobile accounts. Since Fido still has that number on my account I cannot have full access to it on public mobile. I am wondering if I were to just change my phone number with Fido would that then give full access to that number with public mobile since it is already attached to my account

@supremechris070  - If you were to change your current phone number with Fido, then that number (the one you want to port over) would be gone, replaced with the new number.

if your Fido account still Active? It sounds like it from our original post. But you no longer have the Fido SIM card right?

Obtain a new Fido sim card and transfer your old sim card information to the new one. I know you are having issues with Fido, but have they suggested this? If not, then perhaps you can discuss it with them.

Then you will able to proceed with the port over to public mobile because you will have a working Fido sim to then approve the SMS text.

Once you have a new Fido sim card with your phone number working on it, go into your My Account, under the Profile section and request the phone number change/transfer over from Fido.

If you need assistance from a CSA for this to do this, you may also submit a ticket for help:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/chatbot.html?botId=ZJkWuVb7Hp6EEcTIZKMZbvLwuDV&duid=1n1doJroLwunnRGLWzZ...

supremechris070

@esjliv  without having to bother with the headache of changing my SIM since Fido is making this a gruelling process.  

supremechris070

Okay so hopefully I can explain this in understandable terms. When I signed up with public mobile I asked to transfer my number I never got anything saying that the transfer was declined and I was given access to the number and can receive texts from the number but I believe only from public mobile accounts. Since Fido still has that number on my account I cannot have full access to it on public mobile. I am wondering if I were to just change my phone number with Fido would that then give full access to that number with public mobile since it is already attached to my account

@supremechris070 wrote:

So I went and bought a new sim card but can't activate it because you have to out your old sim card number in before you can do the switch. Which is don't have since that phone is lost. Do you know if I were to just change my Fido phone number would that give PM full access to the number?

@supremechris070 - you meant you bought a new Fido sim card, because you lost your other one?

In that case, you will need to connect with Fido to have them (or if you can on your fido account) switch out your Fido sim card number with the new on you purchased.

Then ensure the account is active, then proceed to port the Fido over to public mobile.

Am I understanding your situation correctly, if not please let me know.

supremechris070

So I went and bought a new sim card but can't activate it because you have to out your old sim card number in before you can do the switch. Which is don't have since that phone is lost. Do you know if I were to just change my Fido phone number would that give PM full access to the number?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@supremechris070 

No worries....I just edited my post as the information within with exception of the fido porting department number was repeated and proved more helpful to you so there was no need for unnecessary repetition. I am happy my post enabled others to repeat the info supplied.

@esjliv 

I remember paying the rest of my remaining I owed with Bell when I ported over. I think I paid it when ported over to Telus and it was added Telus bill…but it was awhile back.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@BKNS27 - i'd have to disagree with you here. I've ported a Fido account into another provider with a balance owing and they just charge you outright what you are owing after the port completes.

Now, I don't know what type of Fido account the OP has or contract they may have been connected to, but that is my experience.

@supremechris070 -

1 - I would either call that phone number @Timer sent you or submit a ticket with public mobile customer support with the link they provided to restart the porting process.

2 - Then contact Fido, see if you get another agent that will help. Ask them to give you a verbal port approval over the phone to accept public mobile's request. Do this with 90 minutes of following Timer's post.

If Fido will not give you this approval, perhaps you will need to obtain a new Fido SIM Card and swap that new card with the old/lost one. Then you can receive the porting text to public mobile.

Hope that makes sense.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Edit:

What's the point when your info is copycatted by later posters its all there anyways except the contact numbers for fido. Have a nice day and please come again!

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@supremechris070 

Yes that is correct, you must pay what is owing with Fido plus your account must be activated with Fido so don’t cancel your account.

Once everything is squared off then you can port your number over to PM.

To port over to PM:

- You must have a PM SIM with the SIM number

- Activate the SIM on your PC

- With the Fido SIM in your phone, wait for the text confirming you are porting over to PM. There will be a 90 minute window for you to reply or the porting will be aborted

- You can use your Fido account number or the IMEI number of the phone. You can get the IMEI by dialing *#06# on your phone for the number
- Power off your phone and swap the SIM then power the phone back on

And welcome to PM! You phone should work right away.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@supremechris070 

i will send to your messges phone number to contact Port Team,

or If the previous troubleshooting steps didn’t work, and it has taken more than 2 business hours to transfer your mobile number, you will need the help of a Customer Support Agent. Chatbot

Need Help? Let's chat.