cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not really a question moreso a comment

TorontoJen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Speed-tested a short time ago and it seems my throttle has kicked in. I'm capped to 3mbps up and download speeds.

However...

It seems this hasn't affected my phone performance at all. I just opened up the Amazon Prime app and played a video in high def and it worked just fine. I find myself asking why I didn't do this - switch to Public Mobile - years ago.

How is it possible that such a significant downgrade in speed from my former provider seems to have had no real-world repercussions in service? I expected I would have to reduce the quality of the video in order to play Netflix or Prime videos using mobile data, but it seem it's not the case. I think at best it takes another half a second for the videos to load. Is this real life?

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@TorontoJen wrote:

How is it possible that such a significant downgrade in speed from my former provider seems to have had no real-world repercussions in service? I expected I would have to reduce the quality of the video in order to play Netflix or Prime videos using mobile data, but it seem it's not the case. I think at best it takes another half a second for the videos to load. Is this real life?

I just looked in the Prime Video app, and the "Best" quality setting says "1 hour uses about 0.46 GB of data".  I google searched to convert that to Mbps (rather than doing the math myself--I'm lazy)! and came out with 1.022 Mbps (the URL is long, but click here for the conversion through Google).  This is only about a 3rd of the throttled 3Mbps speed that the "3G" data plans offer, so I can see why your streaming is unaffected.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

farmbot
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

forgot to say I am on LTE restricted speed.

It's all good.

farmbot
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am former Telus customer in south Alberta. Before leaving Telus I tested Telus network vs Public Mobile network via sim card in Android phone.  db signal strength via sim card status was exactly the same on both sim cards and both connected by Telus LTE network.

Internet access for streaming email web search is spot on.

Package deals are excellent value on the best network in Alberta.

It's all good if u do not need any hand holding.

But if u need help that's what the community is for.

Cheers

@TorontoJen wrote:

I tried that and I do get marginally higher speeds on the HSPA+/3G network, but all accounts I have read said that that network type has a much laggier signal when it comes to real-world use. What would you recommend?

I would stay on the LTE.  I was just sdaying you would notice more of a difference if you were to use the 3G and probably experience more lag.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

TorontoJen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I tried that and I do get marginally higher speeds on the HSPA+/3G network, but all accounts I have read said that that network type has a much laggier signal when it comes to real-world use. What would you recommend?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@TorontoJen wrote:

Speed-tested a short time ago and it seems my throttle has kicked in. I'm capped to 3mbps up and download speeds.

However...

It seems this hasn't affected my phone performance at all. I just opened up the Amazon Prime app and played a video in high def and it worked just fine. I find myself asking why I didn't do this - switch to Public Mobile - years ago.

Remember that you are still on the LTE network so the latency is still there.  You may notice a bit more iof a difference if you switched to a 3G network.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Plus there's still the LTE plan at $47...

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I remember  when the 3g plans were first introduced,  the community was in an uproar.  but things settled down.  yes 3g is slower than full LTE, but in the real world you don't notice a difference, unless you are downloading large files on data.  

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@TorontoJen, for moderate use, you're right - you really won't see much of a difference.  I've been thinking of dropping down from the LTE plan I'm on, but it makes no sense as I would be paying more, for throttled service, for any package over 4 GB/30-days. 

It's great that you're finding great value in your service!  Welcome to Public Mobile!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TorontoJen 

It is not just a fantasy. 🙂

Oracle will13am has asserted this on many occasions and you're proving it again. Do we really need the 4G LTE speed? Would it make a videophone call less choppy at the higher speed? Would it be just as acceptable at the lower speed?

Need Help? Let's chat.