cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Signal

gjong26
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I recently purchased a new phone and had just signed up to Public mobile.  Last Sat I was at my gf workplace and my phone could not get any data.  I also had my work phone on me and thats with Bell and it worked no problem.  How is it that if my other phone with Bell works and my phone with Public doesnt.

29 REPLIES 29

@gjong26  Did you purchase your phone in North America or is the Chinese version? If your PM SIM card works better in the Samsung phone at the problem location then it sounds like it might be a hardware issue.

Another explanation (guess) might be that because PM throttles the LTE connection down to 3Mbps and if the connection is week then data suffers because it (dropped packets) whereas the Bell phone uses full LTE so it might be able to cope better and also have a higher priority since it's full LTE.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gjong26 wrote:

Perhaps yes.. I just checked my Samsung and the mobile preferred settings is the same but it says LTE/WCDMA/GSM (Auto Connect)...  I wont be back at my gf office in a while so wont be able to test if the cause is the 4g setting in the auto connect.

I was looking at it as more of a test workaround. But I now think it's more about your phone. Moving SIM's around between the different services would show those differences.

Your PM SIM in your Samsung. Your Samsung SIM in your phone. And then others like with the gf.

But if you get the same reception then maybe counter to claims made here by some experts on the matter...there might be traffic prioritizing going on. But I doubt it.

gjong26

Perhaps yes.. I just checked my Samsung and the mobile preferred settings is the same but it says LTE/WCDMA/GSM (Auto Connect)...  I wont be back at my gf office in a while so wont be able to test if the cause is the 4g setting in the auto connect.

@gjong26 wrote:

Preferred network type is automatic 2g/3g/4g 

@gjong26  Can you post a screenshot of the different options available.

@Anonymous wrote:

@gjong26 wrote:

Yes there is a 2g/3g selection.  I will try that next time.  Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Thanks for the solution but I don't think we have a solution yet. We're trying to nail down why it is that a Bell phone would have different reception than here. It could be actual phone reception itself of course. Maybe the antenna location. Or it's blocked by a cover.

Exactly! My wife's phone gets better reception using my PM SIM than my phone does, so there's clearly SOMETHING different between the two models.

@gjong26 wrote:

Yes there is a 2g/3g selection.  I will try that next time.  Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

A couple of things..... 1st of all, you chose a "Solution" a wee bit prematurely(GEEZ, ninja'd YET again!!! 🙄) , since, from what you've said here, you haven't tried that out yet.... that, and please do come back to this thread and update it with your findings, once you've had the chance to experiment with it a bit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gjong26 wrote:

Thanks for the solution but I don't think we have a solution yet. We're trying to nail down why it is that a Bell phone would have different reception than here. It could be actual phone reception itself of course. Maybe the antenna location. Or it's blocked by a cover.

gjong26

@gblackma wrote:

@gjong26 You could also try putting your pm SIM into,your girlfriends phone to give a an idea of what to expect.

@gjong26  I think this suggestion would reveal a lot, i.e. swap the SIMs between both of your phones, and see how her phone performs with your PM SIM, and your phone performs with her Bell SIM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gjong26 wrote:

So can you set it to some variation of 3G leaving out 4G? Just to test when you're back in that office.

@gjong26 wrote:

I have a new One Plus 7.  Everything works fine on it.  Call, text, data all works.  But at my gf workplace shes in a building in the back I guess theres no signal or weak.  I will have to investingate this APN settings.

@gjong26  If your data is working then leave the APN settings alone as that has nothing to do with your problem.

Compare the settings on both phones and make adjustments on your phone to see if it improves connectivity.

gjong26

gjong26

I was able to text.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mpcdesign wrote:

@gjong26 , Bell Mobility and Public Mobile share the same cell towers. The only explanation would be that Bell Mobility supports VoLTE (Voice and Video over LTE is the next generation of voice and video calling) and Public Mobile is strictly 3G for calling.

Maybe. But he only talked about data. But then yes the subject line says No Signal. gjong26: were you able to do text or talk?

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@gjong26 , Bell Mobility and Public Mobile share the same cell towers. The only explanation would be that Bell Mobility supports VoLTE (Voice and Video over LTE is the next generation of voice and video calling) and Public Mobile is strictly 3G for calling.

@gjong26 You could also try putting your pm SIM into,your girlfriends phone to give a an idea of what to expect.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gjong26 wrote:

My work phone is a Samsung S9 with Bell.  I will try that next time and see if that makes a difference. I was also trying to get my gf to switch carriers to Public for her personal phone whom she is currently with Bell also.

I wonder what radio's your S9 is connecting to. I'm curious about this because Bell and Telus share infrastructure.

gjong26

My work phone is a Samsung S9 with Bell.  I will try that next time and see if that makes a difference. I was also trying to get my gf to switch carriers to Public for her personal phone whom she is currently with Bell also.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gjong26 wrote:

Yes when we left my gf office and near a window it works.  

Try switching to HSDPA (3G) data and see what happens. What kind of phone is your work Bell one?

gjong26

Yes when we left my gf office and near a window it works.  

@gjong26 Did you log in and check if you still had data? And the settings above are the Android ones.

gjong26

The APN is already set to Public Mobile - sp.mb.com

If data works no need to check APN settings.

Likely you were just in a place with a weak reception. If it happens again you could always try restarting your phone.

Link below is a cell tower map. See where one is near your girlfriends place.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

gjong26

Yes phone is unlocked.

gjong26

I have a new One Plus 7.  Everything works fine on it.  Call, text, data all works.  But at my gf workplace shes in a building in the back I guess theres no signal or weak.  I will have to investingate this APN settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gjong26 wrote:

I recently purchased a new phone and had just signed up to Public mobile.  Last Sat I was at my gf workplace and my phone could not get any data.  I also had my work phone on me and thats with Bell and it worked no problem.  How is it that if my other phone with Bell works and my phone with Public doesnt.

Has your data ever worked here on the new phone?

What exact make/model/submodel are you using?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

What model of phone do you have?

Is it unlocked?

Does anything work? Calls or text?

For no data you need to check APN settings. They should be like picture below.

Screenshot_20200217_152632.jpg

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@gjong26 what's the  make and model of your phone?  And what PM plan are you on ? Can you send mms messages? If you sign into your self service account , do you see any data ie xx/1gig data? Thanks.

@gjong26 wrote:

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You may need to setup the PM APN settings if you use data.

APN Settings:
Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302