cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Service (after returning from States)

casschan515
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone was working fine on the morning of December 28 before I crossed the border to Washington. I turned off my data during my one day trip. In the evening, when I crossed the border back to BC, I had no service. I restarted my phone twice, but still not working. 

I woke up the next morning and did one more restart, but still no service.

Help and more information would be appreciated. Thank you!

20 REPLIES 20

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite wrote:

@srlawren Faulty recall; must need a new motherboard. Robot LOL

@Luddite better call Bob and Sue to arrange a service appointment

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren Faulty recall; must need a new motherboard. Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren

@Luddite wrote:

I recall a bug has been reported that causes service to be lost for 1-2 days after returning to Canada when a US roaming texting add-on expires. Service can be restored by moderators, or waiting 2 days.

@Luddite I must have missed that one.  The only US-roaming related issue I'm aware of only affects texting.  Sometimes when the US Roaming Text add-on expires, it does not remove itself correctly from the account until 12-24 hours later, which causes the person to be unable to receive any text messages until that time.  A moderator can be contacted to manually remove the expired add-on if needed, or as noted it will self-resolve within one day.  But I don't recall hearing of people completely losing service for 1-2 days after returning home.  Do you happen to have an example?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mimmo wrote:

That is a good question. There are many bugs at pm that have been around for a long time that have not been fixed.

@Wonder_why wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

I recall a bug has been reported that causes service to be lost for 1-2 days after returning to Canada when a US roaming texting add-on expires. Service can be restored by moderators, or waiting 2 days.

Why don't PM fixed the bug ? 

Is not fair to people, who have sign to PM and no services for few days, why PM don't look into it

mimmo

That is a good question. There are many bugs at pm that have been around for a long time that have not been fixed.

@Wonder_why wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Luddite wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@casschan515 wrote:

@Mana

I tried switching the SIM cards one more time, and the second time it worked! I don't know what happened, but the connection is fine now. Thank you for your suggestions.

It could be dirty/sticky contacts. 

@casschan515 @Great news!

Glad it worked out for you and that you have service. 

Please accept the best solution that helped you so that this post can be marked resloved. 

Have a great night!

casschan515

@Mana

I tried switching the SIM cards one more time, and the second time it worked! I don't know what happened, but the connection is fine now. Thank you for your suggestions.

casschan515

@Mana 

I put my SIM card into a Vivo phone, and it worked. 

I put another SIM card into my iPhone 4S and it connected to the Bell network.

I put my SIM card back into my iPhone 4S and it says it cannot connect to the network. 😞 

@casschan515 if your phone is unlocked, can you please try someone else's sim in your phone. 

Or can you try your sim in another unlocked or Telus/kodoo phone. 

casschan515

Hi @Mana,

I tried all three procedures you suggested, and still have no service. 

My phone cannot seem to find any availble networks, even after I took out the SIM and powered up the phone again. Is it possible there is something wrong with my phone's hardware? I have an iPhone 4S.

casschan515

Hi @will13am,

I tried to look up the networks available, but it doesn't show me any options. 😞 Just the spinning loading sign. I disabled and enabled the automatic network selection, and nothing seemed to happen. I have an iPhone 4S - is it possible there is something wrong with my phone?

casschan515

Hi @Taekgun,

My US Add-On expired on December 25th/26th, so I don't think that was an issue. Would it be possible for it to affect my account even after it's expired? 

@will13am thanks, I know what you mean but I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago. 

After trying everything, I had to do an auto search for the network and then select and lock into PM and that seemed to work. 

@Mana wrote:

@casschan515 sorry to hear about your trouble. 

Please try the following, if you haven't already:

- turn off the phone

- remove SIM card

-reinsert sim card

- power back up.

If that doesn't work, try turning on the airplane mode a minute and the turn it off. 

Also please go into settings and do a network search again and select public mobile. 

Hope this helps. 

@Mana, manually selecting the network is not recommended.  The best is to go with auto.  If there is a change in carrier, the phone won't connect.  Use a manual selection to force a connection only when absolutely needed.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@casschan515 sorry to hear about your trouble. 

Please try the following, if you haven't already:

- turn off the phone

- remove SIM card

-reinsert sim card

- power back up.

If that doesn't work, try turning on the airplane mode a minute and the turn it off. 

Also please go into settings and do a network search again and select public mobile. 

Hope this helps. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

There may be a possibility the phone may have manually connected to a roaming partner and is having problems automatically connecting to Public Mobile.  Try doing a network search, then select connect automatically.  

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@casschan515

Sorry to hear you are having issues.  Did you have any US Add-ons on your PM account while in the States?  You may need the assistance of a moderator to have a look at your account to see if there is a problem they can fix.  Send them a private message using this link: HERE, provide them with your name, account number and an explanation of the issue and they will be able to look into the matter for you.

Also, have you logged into self-serve and confirmed your account is still active and not suspended for some reason?

Need Help? Let's chat.