cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Data

Michaelzz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I left Freedom Mobile because I was unhappy with their service, so I decided a month ago to sign-up for Public Mobile since my father has it and he has had no problems with them. For that entire month thus far, I have NEVER been able to access my data. So, I am paying for a data plan I have not received. In effect, I am paying for services I have never received through no fault of my own, but that of Public Mobile. What a way to be introduced to a new carrier. Failed immediately. I am quite furious about this as i have never experienced anything like this, ever. 

So, why does my data not work, but my father's does? We are in the same location. I am considering leaving Mobile for this ridiculous difficulty. Answers?

I also cannot believe I cannot contact Customer Service for assistance as THERE IS NONE. 

39 REPLIES 39

@Alexandf wrote:

@Michaelzz 

because that brand phone need to do Factory Reset.

The one brand that I know of that routinely needs a factory reset to get data to work after changing carriers isn't Umidigi. It's LG.

@Michaelzz 

PM isn't a service that just works. one needs to learn how to use it. it's self serve so one needs to learn how to deal with the short comings that are attached with this company. 

Michaelzz

This is true. I am soooooo ashamed! ZOMG!

How's that?

i have a valid excuse. Freedom screwed me over badly. So I was of the belief perhaps Public had screwed me over, even if I was certain it was an APN issue. So there. Hmph...

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

And oh yeah...keep that Freedom sim. You could be the hero if someone shows up with this problem and you're in their "neighbourhood".

@Michaelzz wrote:

Now that I fixed it, the worst part is I cannot blame Public Mobile for my own stupidity. I wish I could, but... c'est la vie!

Now, if you wonderful gentlemen would excuse me whilst I head to the Club of the Eternally Stupid.

@Michaelzz - if you stick around the community long enough, I am sure you can find something to blame public mobile for; regular here could no doubt...😉

Be glad yours was a fixable fix you could do without Public Mobile Customer Support people. 😀

Michaelzz

Just so we are clear, neither Public nor Umidigi are at fault. I am. Stupidity must be hidden in my bloody genes.

So a lesson here is to work through all possibilities and also ask here before getting all mad at the place. Glad you got it sorted out with hints from here.

Michaelzz

Oooh, I found a nice DUNCE cap for myself! Pretty! 

@Michaelzz  we are all happy as long as it works!!!  Enjoy the data

Michaelzz

Now that I fixed it, the worst part is I cannot blame Public Mobile for my own stupidity. I wish I could, but... c'est la vie!

Now, if you wonderful gentlemen would excuse me whilst I head to the Club of the Eternally Stupid.

Michaelzz

Ah, but not as stupid as I. I am talking single-digit IQ here! 

Thank you for your help my dear genius compared to me.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Happens to the best of us, glad you fixed it @Michaelzz  🙂

Michaelzz

OMG!! Ladies and gentlemen, I am an effing moron! I am so ashamed of my utter stupidity! Now then, I took the advice whereupon I should copy the APN settings from my father's phone, and I was annoyed that this did not work, that the settings kept reverting back to their original incorrect settings. I thought and thought and thought, then my bloody jaw dropped! I was not SAVING the new APN settings, I was simply going back out of the APN menu without clicking the 3 dots and checking 'SAVE'. I, sirs, am a MORON!!!

Alas, everything is working perfectly. I KNEW it had to be a bloody APN setting. Annoying since all I did was shove the Public Mobile SIM card into my father's phone and it worked right away when I set up his phone. I didn't have to touch sh.. er I mean anything. I expected the same with my SIM.

I thank you guys for your assistance. I had an inkling it was an APN problem, but I had to be certain. You gentlemen are the men!

No. Factory reset is not needed. And just so you're clear, this is not the fault of Public. This is Umidigi not including Public in their database of possible APN settings.

What Android version is the phone?

The Freedom workaround has already been mentioned. There's an unofficial app available that supposedly works for 8.1 but I'm not sure about newer ones. There's an adb command that can be run if you're familiar with that technicality. There's a text attachment that Public can send you.

Alexandf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Michaelzz 

because that brand phone need to do Factory Reset.

Michaelzz

Nope. Every time I change the APN settings, they revert right back to what they were before. Pointless.

Try not to jump to a Factory Reset just yet @Michaelzz ... @Alexandf is really throwing things out there.

Alexandf

@Michaelzz 

do you trying your sim card in other phone it's works or no?

if yes is works in other phone, take a backup and restore factory.

@Michaelzz you really need a Freedom sim card to unlock the APN settings.   

@Michaelzz Yes, I do know you said you couldn't use data...just making sure you had data left. you'd be surprised what others have experienced (especially on the 250mb, it can go fast). Thanks for checking though. 🙂

Do you still have the Freedom sim card, by any chance?

Since you have greyed out apn settings (as @softech also mentioned...) this may be your fix/workaround.

Michaelzz

I know how to change the APN settings. I have done it multiple times, but for Public Mobile, it is not working.

Michaelzz

I have 1 Gb of data left. I have never been able to access my data, remember?

Michaelzz

I cannot change the APN settings. When I do, then go back, everything reverts back to the way it was before. 

Alexandf

@Michaelzz 

How to change APN settings
  1. From the home screen, tap the Menu button.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Mobile networks.
  4. Tap Access Point Names.
  5. Tap the Menu button.
  6. Tap New APN.
  7. Tap the Name field.
  8. Enter Internet, then tap OK.

@Michaelzz Umidigi always have this problem  You need to try to get a Freedom sim card from friends.   Somehow a Freedom sim card will unlock that APN change option.

Michaelzz

I followed precisely what you have here. Nothing. The APN enable/disable is greyed-out, so I cannot affect it.

@Michaelzz - Sorry to hear you had these issues since activation. Glad you are here now asking about it.

How much data do you have in your plan? If you've had all your other services for about a month, but no data, make sure first you have data showing left on your plan in your My Account.

If data is left, perform a Reset of your device's Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, VPN and APN settings, and connected Bluetooth devices that you've used before.

Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Reset network settings.

If still issues, check your APN settings here for Public Mobile:

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en

If you have greyed out areas you cannot change, do you happen to have the freedom sim card still? If so insert the freedom sim card to change the apn settings, then save settings. Then reinsert your public mobile sim card.

There is customer support here. 

1- Either through Community where you posted your question to other customers or members like you, who like to try and help, or

2- CSA methods found here: 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

@Michaelzz 

For data, need to make sure his APN settings is correct.  first try a device reboot and then try to click Reset network settings and see if it works.  The correct APN might come down automatically

If still does not work, try to edit the existing active one or create a new one, these are the values:

APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy:
Port:
Username: <blank>
Password: <blank>
Server:
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS Proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS Port: 8799
MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
MCC: 302
MNC: 220