cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone number: won't accept SIM

Lalah
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Upgraded plan. Brought new phone. Followed all instructions. Now your site won't accept my SIM card. I can't make ANY calls. I transferred from my previous provider. This site is glitchy as heck and forces me to reset my password almost every time I sign in.

Unless my phone is working by today, I'm canceling everything. I've never had a more frustrating mobile experience. 

7 REPLIES 7

Lalah

Thank you. I connected with Support 

@Lalah wrote:

Virgin needs to send a text to the old SIM card. So I can text YES back. But it says Text Failed. Probably because the Public Mobile account number was changed. It needs to be changed back! Can you do that? Just change the number on the account to the original Public Mobile number.

@Lalah  - we are not Public Mobile Representatives, we are customers and members of this Community.

It sounds like you need to connect with Public Mobile Customer Support (CSA).

Two ways to contact CSA:

1- Put in a ticket through SIMon Bot (usually faster method to get in contact with the Public Mobile Customer Support) by clicking on the bottom, right chat bubble.
OR
2- Private message the Customer Support here (slower method): https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Lalah

Virgin needs to send a text to the old SIM card. So I can text YES back. But it says Text Failed. Probably because the Public Mobile account number was changed. It needs to be changed back! Can you do that? Just change the number on the account to the original Public Mobile number.

Lalah

This is the problem. I had an account with a Public Mobile number for a flip phone for an elderly parent. I had my own account with another carrier, Virgin Mobile. I decided to switch to Public Mobile, upgraded the service, and changed the number. But even though your site said my number was compatible, it didn't accept my SIM card. 

So I decided to go back to my old provider Virgin Mobile and keep the Public Mobile account for my elderly parent, as before. But my Virgin Mobile needs confirmation from Public Mobile via text to the original Public Mobile number. But it won't work. 

I need the original Public Mobile number restored. The account shows my number, not my elderly parent's original Public Mobile number. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Lalah  -
So you had working services before you got a new phone? Does the SIM work still in the old phone?

If the new phone not locked or blacklisted, try:
*rebooting
*perform a reset of the network settings on the new device.

What model is the new phone?

Did you receive a TEXT from the previous provider to approve the port?

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

If a cell port, and you did not receive the text to approve the port, submit a ticket with CSA to restart the process. Contact CSA methods here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Lalah 

Is your new phone unlocked? If it is unlocked, it should work with all Canadian carriers.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Lalah wrote:

Upgraded plan. Brought new phone. Followed all instructions. Now your site won't accept my SIM card. I can't make ANY calls. I transferred from my previous provider. This site is glitchy as heck and forces me to reset my password almost every time I sign in.

Unless my phone is working by today, I'm canceling everything. I've never had a more frustrating mobile experience. 

@Lalah  - is your phone locked to its previous provider? Need to contact the provider to unlock it for you, or if Samsung you can contact them to unlock it possibly.

You bought a new 'to you' phone?

Check here to ensure it is not blacklisted: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

You upgraded your plan WITH Public Mobile? Why are you having a SIM card issue? You are not trying to reactivate a new SIM card are you?

SIM cards should be able to be transferred from one phone to the next. Perhaps adding or removing the outer adapters to fit.

Need Help? Let's chat.