cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New number

Noubar
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am new to Canada and this is my first SIM. I need to select a phone number. I bought the SIM but I need a number to activate it. 

13 REPLIES 13

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think they are referring to the alternate number you provide in your account for whatever reason PM wants this. If you have no other number, just use any number, friend, landlord, local store.  

You select a new number for yourself, but PM also wants another contact number

CGO
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

PUBLIC community so share experience with new member: during my activation, accepted the popup number from system, but found its belong to someone else - system glitch, so good idea to select and verify a number by yourself during activation.

@CGO wrote:

during activation choose a number by yourself not system. good idea.

There are no system-assigned phone numbers.  

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Area code 827 is also PST free. Also highly junk-call free, since the territories generally cost extra to call from most VoIP providers, which is probably what most spammers use 😄

You may have more selection of numbers during activation, but if your plan is to port in a number after activation and a starter bulk top-up before porting in, it doesn't matter.

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Noubar 

If you select a number within the area code 368, 403, 587, 780, or 825, you'll save the PST.

Thanks to Alberta!!!

Good idea..BUT.....not everyone has Canada Wide Minutes so OP @Noubar needs to know that his friends and family, locally, will have to call @Noubar using their long distance at a cost. 

Well let's get everyone, everywhere on Canada Wide Minutes, shall we!!!

Time to move on from the 1990's...  😮

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Noubar wrote:

I am new to Canada and this is my first SIM. I need to select a phone number. I bought the SIM but I need a number to activate it. 

Know what number you need for the first 6 digits. Keep in mind you can change your number, free, a few times a month. See here. https://cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Noubar 

If you select a number within the area code 368, 403, 587, 780, or 825, you'll save the PST.

Thanks to Alberta!!!

Good idea..BUT.....not everyone has Canada Wide Minutes so OP @Noubar needs to know that his friends and family, locally, may have to call @Noubar using their long distance at a cost. 

CGO

again select a number by yourself, and call the number to make sure its NOT belong to someone else, then complete the activation. good luck.

@CGO wrote:

during activation system give you numbers to choose not yourself, no good idea

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Noubar 

Thanks to Alberta!!!

CGO

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Noubar   you just need to activate yourself.

You will need a credit card to activate

Here is the activation portal: https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

On step 2 , you get to choose a new phone number of your choice

(Just in case you don't have a credit card yet, let us know, there are workarounds to activate without credit card , but you will need a payment voucher)

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Top of this page, click Activate. As part of that process, you'll be given opportunity to select your new number.

Welcome to Canada.

edit'd...spelling

Need Help? Let's chat.