cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM card

Oz7
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I changed providers earlier today. i have not received instructions to insert my new SIM card. How long should i wait

9 REPLIES 9

@Community_QA_ wrote:

@computergeek541 

so the text send to the phone number that the person won't receive on the old sim.  and the person won't receive it unless they are smart enough to reboot it?  Weird. and funny

Public Mobile can't send the message to the old carrier's SIM card because of the way that Public Mobile has assigned the phone number to the Public Mobile account already.  When someone ports to Public Mobile, text messages automatically route to the Public Mobile service if the text message was sent by another Telus customer.  As Public Mobile is simply sending the instructions to reboot the device to the phone number, the system keeps the message within the carrier.   It never used to be this way, but I also discovered recently durng a number port, incoming phone calls from other Telus customers also go to the Public Mobile service - even before any verfication of the porting process has taken place.  What does this mean?  This is a serious security flaw that affects all non-Telus customers because of the way that any phone number can be temporarily intercepted if the other person contacting the Telus customer is calling from another Telus service.  I've brought this up several times with Public Mobile, but quite shockingly, Telus has been doing it this way since 2007.  I believe that Bell also does number porting the same way.  The way that number porting should be done (in my opinion) is for the phone nubmer being ported in should only be assigned to the account after porting verficiation has been completed (which is what some other carriers do).

Community_QA_
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 

so the text send to the phone number that the person won't receive on the old sim.  and the person won't receive it unless they are smart enough to reboot it?  Weird. and funny

@computergeek541 wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

@Oz7 if you replied to the sms message from your old provider, then yes put in your public one.

I disagree with this advice.  Inserting the Public Mobile SIM card as tthis point will mean that most calls and messages receive from this point until porting has completed will never be received.  Ideally, a customer should have both SIM cards inserted in compatible devices, but otherwise I would wait a little longer to switch SIM cards.

@computergeek541 - that's fine too. 

Guess I suggested what I would do. Then I could do the restart, reset of networks and all that jazz and see what services are working. Of course understanding incoming calls may come later, but never too far behind in my experience (unless the number is coming from landline or voip of course).

@computergeek541- Thank you for the clarity. I did say "I seem to remember" and "not sure" 🙂 I haven't ported a number in quite some time now and those were from cell services like the WHP and SmartHub where there was no sms anyway.

@dust2dust wrote:

When the old provider no longer works. If you're coming here then I seem to remember that Public sends a text to the old sim telling you to go ahead. But I'm not sure.

The text messgae that Public Mobile sends about porting being complete has been reworded from past versions. The message now says to restart the device to compelte number porting, but at that point, porting is already done.  That message gets sent to the Public Mobile service.  As Public Mobile is sending that message to the phone number, and Public Mobile has set things up so that text messages from with Telus already go to the Public Mobile service, I do not believe that message would ever be received at the old carrier's service.

@esjliv wrote:

@Oz7 if you replied to the sms message from your old provider, then yes put in your public one.

I disagree with this advice.  Inserting the Public Mobile SIM card as tthis point will mean that most calls and messages receive from this point until porting has completed will never be received.  Ideally, a customer should have both SIM cards inserted in compatible devices, but otherwise I would wait a little longer to switch SIM cards.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Oz7  .are you porting a number in or out of PM and have you received a confirmation text from old provider to confirm you want to transfer number . You have 90 minutes from receiving this text to reply YES .once you reply put in new carriers SIM card 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

When the old provider no longer works. If you're coming here then I seem to remember that Public sends a text to the old sim telling you to go ahead. But I'm not sure.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.