cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to add another 1 GB of US roaming data

deewang
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there

I purchased the 1GB of us roaming data and I already finished using it before the 10 days. I need to add more us roaming data however that option is not available anymore. The only options I have is the US roaming data for 250 megabytes or 500 megabytes for 10 days. I definitely need at least one gig as I am in the states until Thursday. How do I get that option as an add-on again?

On another note, I accidentally added 1 gig of regular data on my regular Canadian plan. Is there a way I can get refunded for that and change it to the 1 gig of US data?

17 REPLIES 17

Noosiekins
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Ah ok I see how it there's a thing that toggles "wifi only" 

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
@Noosiekins wrote:

@GreatCanadian wrote:

You can download your Google maps prior to your trip. That will save data. And if you turn of the Traffic option that'll save more 

GC 

How do you make sure the phone is using the downloaded off line map instead of a live one?!

There are a few things you can do:

Make sure "Wi-Fi only" is turned on.

Go into the "Offline map settings" and turn off "Automatically update offline maps" and "Automatically download offline maps".

You can also set the "Download preferences" to Wi-Fi only (this should be the default).

Noosiekins

@GreatCanadian wrote:

You can download your Google maps prior to your trip. That will save data. And if you turn of the Traffic option that'll save more 

GC 

How do you make sure the phone is using the downloaded off line map instead of a live one?!

GreatCanadian

GC 

Noosiekins

@GreatCanadian wrote:

It depends mostly on what you are using the data for .If you watch YouTube and/or stream music your 1 GB won't last long at all. A bit of daily browsing and checking email will stretch your time out a lot. Turn off app background data as well. I used to be on a Bell plan that was 300 mb a month. That's not much but I could stretch it to a month using it like I mentioned above.

GC 

It was mostly for Google Map when driving around.

GreatCanadian

It depends mostly on what you are using the data for .If you watch YouTube and/or stream music your 1 GB won't last long at all. A bit of daily browsing and checking email will stretch your time out a lot. Turn off app background data as well. I used to be on a Bell plan that was 300 mb a month. That's not much but I could stretch it to a month using it like I mentioned above.

GC 

Noosiekins

ah ok it looks like i went through 250mb within the first day ... Maybe I should go for the full 1G this time around.

Noosiekins

How long did it take you to run through the 1G?

I'm heading out of town for a long weekend and am looking at getting an add on myself... Last tiem I went away for an overnight... I used up my add on really quick (now I'm going to have to look back and see how much data I last purchased) 

GreatCanadian

@daredogg, Right, I forgot there used to be a charge for unlocking.

On our last trip we purchased 4 plans for $120 US total. Unlimited LTE data (throttled after 10 GB, but we never came close to using that much), unlimited calling and texting to Canada. That was with T-mobile. $30 per phone isn't too bad.

GC

@daredogg, why did you purcase a new phone in Florida? Why not just buy the plan and SIM card for your existing phone? 

GC

@GreatCanadian bought the phone in Buffalo. It was a burner phone, but it included unlimited service for the first 30 days... the $30 extra was for adding data. I bought it, versus just getting a SIM, because my phone wasn't unlocked at the time. Back then it cost $50 to unlock.

Good idea about shopping around... I'm sure you can probably activate pretty much any SIM at Walmart in the US.

GreatCanadian

On a short trip I'll just use the PM roaming add-on. But each Christmas our family goes to Florida for 3 weeks. In that case I just pop into T-mobile, MetroPCS, Walmart, or wherever and purhase an unlimited plan for 1 month. I do a little reading a couple of days before leaving and see who has the best deal at the time. Been doing that for the last 4 years.

@daredogg, why did you purcase a new phone in Florida? Why not just buy the plan and SIM card for your existing phone? 

GC

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere about options for roaming in the US... but I was wondering what others do? I'm not wanting to take business away from PM, but let's be honest, the 10 day plans aren't going to work for everyone.

A few years back, took a 2-week driving vacation from Ontario to Florida. As soon as I crossed the border, I found a Best Buy and bought a cheap Android phone for AT&T. I activated it within minutes and was on my way. The phone cost $50 and a month of service cost me like $30. So, with exchange, that's like $100. I'm wanting to do the same thing this year, but am thinking there must be a cheaper easier way...

and maybe that's with PM's add-ons?

@GreatCanadian wrote:

If you've already used a 1 GB US Roaming addon, you cannot use the 1 GB option again, until the 10 days are up. Once you purchase a roaming add-on, you cannot purchase that one again during the 10 day period.

That's somewhat limiting! If that's the case, then there should be a 3GB option for $50. 

Hopefully the mods can override this limitation and manually apply another GB. I see it's already been suggested to contact the mods for the Canada/US data add-on mix up, so let us know @deewang the outcome.

smp99

@GreatCanadian wrote:

If you've already used a 1 GB US Roaming addon, you cannot use the 1 GB option again, until the 10 days are up. Once you purchase a roaming add-on, you cannot purchase that one again during the 10 day period.

GC

If this is true, I hope they work on this limitation

PMobile US Roaming is one of the best deals going. I am not asking to change the plans. But 2 new features that I think would be good

- Future date the start of any plan - say within 30 days to avoid accidental wrong year

- Ability to purchase same data-only plan if you run out

And of course - try to make it a 1-step purchase process. 

meocon

@deewang Mod will help you with that in office hours

How long until a moderator replies?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during office hours, in the order in which they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

How can I view my private messages between myself and a Community Moderator?

GreatCanadian

GC

jp2

If you want Canada data add on switched to US you will need to ask the mods to do that. They may do it if you explain it was a mistake and you haven't used any.

To get another US data add on before the other one is done you usually add the funds then ask the mods to start the 10 days from now. But ask them to switch the add on first to see if they will.

Need Help? Let's chat.