cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some new phone suggestions

Fujtaj
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

Its time to upgrade from my dying Htc M7. I'm looking at phones that will last for a while so naturally, the Nokia 7 plus is really interesting. Its an android one phone, build quality is good and they promised os updates for a while. But my understanding is that the 7 plus doesnt work on LTE bands in canada and the 6.1 seems like it might be a bit underwhelming.. 😞

Any other brands makes android one phones with good build quality, that have ok specs and are under 500 cad$?

Otherwise anything else under 500$ I should be looking at?

Cheers!

10 REPLIES 10

darkstar107
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am running a Redmi Note 5 Pro right now and love it.  MIUI is a good OS if you aren't teksavvy enough to unlock the boot loader and install a different Rom.  There are also some Pie roms that have come out for it in the last couple weeks.  I'm running a Pixel Experience Pie rom and it runs really well.  For less than $300 including DHL shipping the phone is a steal.

killer23d
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would say stay away from Chinese phones that are not meant for the North American market because of software and frequencies. ZTE Axon 7, Axon 7 Mini would definitely fit the $500 requirement as I owned one before. It is top of the line from 2016-2017 and I had one and it was a very good phone. I think a good used one or new one should be under $400.

Pocophone is only for India now and it doesn't have LTE band 4 (AFAIK) so you are going to suffer in reception.

I have a 2017 Nokia 6 and it just got 8.1 update and I am happy with it. Also Moto G lines are also great for the money. If you can import the phone from the US and it would be also cheaper.

virakones
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does Pocophone work with Public Mobile?

Do i need to buy a specific model? I currently have Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro special edition (global version) and it works fine with public mobile.

choding
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As you have promotion code about Koodo.

Koodo give you credit 180 dollar.

and Koodo friend referal 50 dollar.

Go to Koodo at walmart.

5lte plan with medium and small tap

choose your phone as galaxy a8, lg g6 or iphone 6s, etc.

Walmart give you gift card 350 dollar.

you just spend 100 dollar new phone.

it is a good deal.

but when you go Koodo, they want to check your credit.

it means they want to see your credit card and driver license.

good luck.

drmartin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Fujtaj wrote:

Hello,

Its time to upgrade from my dying Htc M7. I'm looking at phones that will last for a while so naturally, the Nokia 7 plus is really interesting. Its an android one phone, build quality is good and they promised os updates for a while. But my understanding is that the 7 plus doesnt work on LTE bands in canada and the 6.1 seems like it might be a bit underwhelming.. 😞

Any other brands makes android one phones with good build quality, that have ok specs and are under 500 cad$?

Otherwise anything else under 500$ I should be looking at?

Cheers!

Have you looked at the new Pocophone from Xiaomi? Great specs at an amazing price.  Personally, I still prefer OnePlus, but if I was super price sensitive it would be the Pocophone.

If you're more an Apple-person, you can get some OK prices on refurbished iPhones on eBay from Canadian sellers, or from Factory Direct if you'd rather go into a store.

@austinhuang wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@austinhuang wrote:

As a Chinese myself, I have a bad time with Chinese phones due to many pre-installed softwares. Also they could (high possibility) spy you and send it back to the Chinese government, so that's why they're muted.

Get a Sony Xperia XA2 from Best Buy at ≈$400. Good camera, native Android 8 (Not MIUI or EMUI or Samsung), good battery. Remember, In Sony We Trust.

The android one phones get the OTAs directly from Google.  The Xiaomi phones all have unlockable bootloaders.  Waiting 360 hours is a bit annoying though.  Install lineage OS and you are good to go.  ZTE and Huawei are brands to be leary of, the come with unlockable bootloader.  Sony has got one foot in the pine box and another on a banana peel.  Their products are way overpriced. 

> unlockable

> requires putting your number in

Also, maybe a phone that doesn't need a technical solution is better, not everyone knows all the bootloading stuff. Again, I'd advise anyone to avoid Chinese products because they spy way more (We have absolutely no privacy protection, companies are instructed to collect whatever possible and make them available to the government which can be easily used against you) and they don't really have any kind of original technology.

Android one phones have OS supplied directly by google.  One of my suggestions is an android one phone. 

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@will13am wrote:

@austinhuang wrote:

As a Chinese myself, I have a bad time with Chinese phones due to many pre-installed softwares. Also they could (high possibility) spy you and send it back to the Chinese government, so that's why they're muted.

Get a Sony Xperia XA2 from Best Buy at ≈$400. Good camera, native Android 8 (Not MIUI or EMUI or Samsung), good battery. Remember, In Sony We Trust.

The android one phones get the OTAs directly from Google.  The Xiaomi phones all have unlockable bootloaders.  Waiting 360 hours is a bit annoying though.  Install lineage OS and you are good to go.  ZTE and Huawei are brands to be leary of, the come with unlockable bootloader.  Sony has got one foot in the pine box and another on a banana peel.  Their products are way overpriced. 

> unlockable

> requires putting your number in

Also, maybe a phone that doesn't need a technical solution is better, not everyone knows all the bootloading stuff. Again, I'd advise anyone to avoid Chinese products because they spy way more (We have absolutely no privacy protection, companies are instructed to collect whatever possible and make them available to the government which can be easily used against you) and they don't really have any kind of original technology.

@austinhuang wrote:

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Fujtaj, if it is android one spec phones you are after, take a look at this offering from Xiaomi.  It is well within your budget.  The specs are well past okay. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Global-Version-Xiaomi-Mi-A2-4GB-64GB-Snapdragon-660-Octa-Co...

If android one is not important then the redmi note 5 is a good option to consider.  It is a little less money.  I have purchased this phone for a friend and did test drive it for a week.  I liked it so much I didn't really want to give it up.  Xiaomi makes great phones.  Too bad their presence in North America is pretty muted.  Now that the company has gone public, I hope they start selling directly in North America.  Although the current arrangement yields much better pricing.  If/when they do come to North America, their pricing will likely double.

https://xiaomionline.aliexpress.com/store/group/Redmi-Note-5/2178148_512702761.html?spm=2114.1201010...

Need Help? Let's chat.