cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a replacement SIM card?

Lachlan_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Getting a replacement SIM card is easy - just order one for $10 on our website!

Keep in mind that:

• SIM cards are shipped within Canada only and will arrive within 3-4 business days via Canada Xpressport.
  • 10 SIM cards per order
  • Our Triple Punch SIM cards have all 3 sizes (Standard, Micro and Nano) in one card! All you need to do is “punch-out” the size you need for your phone.
  • We’re also pleased to announce that our SIM cards will now be available to purchase at over 350 Walmart locations across Canada. More info here

TriPunch.jpg

Last updated on 26/07/2017 

65 REPLIES 65

Elsa_Zeta
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I want to buy a new phone but my old PM sim card is too big for most.

Marchibald
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I believe you assign the number to the SIM, so yes you should be able to just assign your #, but why is it you need a new SIM 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Yes.there is an option in selfserve which allows you to change sim card number

Elsa_Zeta

If i order a new sim card, can I keep the phone number attached to my old PM sim card?

tobadundee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would just order from the website. 

Marchibald

I picked mine up at wal mart

srlawren

@nikki_egan if memory serves me correctly, you sign into your self-serve account (via the My Account link at the top of this or any Public Mobile page), then click on the Plans and Add-ons tab, and then Change SIM Card or something similarly named in the sub-tab.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

nikki_egan

Where is this change SIM button you speak of?? I have been unsuccessful in searching all over for just this option.

Thank you

nikki_egan

adamwithers

For anyone in too big a rush to wait for a SIM card,  I got mine at Walmart (Electronics Counter) and / or Canada Tire (Where they sell all the Gift Cards)
Same Prices

Simple_Sugar

I've been trying to order a new sim but it keeps telling me my address is invalid. I contacted two moderators, still waiting on a response. Just wanted to see if I'm the only one with this issue. 

jeffster1970
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren wrote:
@jeffster1970 while I don't know of any official recommendation to do so, I would say it's a common recommendation amongst community members. If you're okay with the possibility of being without service for a few days, then you probably don't need a spare, and vice versa.

I ordered 2 SIMS just in case. $10+tax isn't going to break the bank, and nice to have some sort of security in case of a malfuntion. 

srlawren
@jeffster1970 while I don't know of any official recommendation to do so, I would say it's a common recommendation amongst community members. I know I personally do recommend it. Depending where you are physically in the country, it can take a few days to receive a new card if yours breaks down or is lost or stolen. If you're okay with the possibility of being without service for a few days, then you probably don't need a spare, and vice versa.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jeffster1970

Does PM recommend that you have a spare SIM laying around just in case? 

I've haven't had too many SIM issues, though I have had replacements from Rogers back in the day as well as WIND.  Just wondering. 

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Thanks @srlawren 😄

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

srlawren

Hi @jpar, that's a good question.  I beleive typically if the SIM card is faulty or is suspected of causing an issue, the moderators here will generally arrange to have a replacement sent to you at no cost.  But you would have to contact one of them at the time and request it.  They may try other troubleshooting steps with you first to help determine if the card is the likely issue.

@Brooke_C @Jeremy_M I just noticed that this posting (the original post from @Lachlan_M) is actually outdated now and doensn't reflect the current status of ordering SIM cards.  Could you please arrange to have it updated?  Thank you!

jpar

Is there a cost for sim cards if one is faulty, or has issues? You would think that replacements for those reasons would be free of charge, given how essential the sim card is to authenticate with the network. 

Dscan

Hi,

As far as I understand, for a long time SIM cards were free of charge. Then PM switched to a system where you paid $5 but got a rebate. However, they found that a lot of people were ordering the cards and not using them so now they just cost $5.

If you ordered yours before Oct. 17 then you would have been eligible for a rebate, but it had to be claimed by Nov. 18.

This post is just a little out of date.

tl;dr. They used to be free, that ended Oct.17/2016

networkz

I was wondering, in the original post it says that "just order one free of charge on our website", does that mean existing PM customers gets the replacement sim card cost of $5 waived? If so, how?

Tahiti05

krish2134

thanks for the help.I orderd new sim card 

imm1304

Hi @krish2134!

If your current sim card was ordered within the last 15 months or so, its most likely a convrtible "triple-punch" sim card.  

You can push/punch-out the nano-sim from your existing sim card with a gentle push of the thumb.  

If not, you can use templates found online to cut your existing sim card to nano size as well.

If you prefer to get a new sim card, order one from here: https://store.publicmobile.ca/cart

It takes 1 to 2 business days by Xpresspost and costs $5.  Once you get the new sim card, you will have to sign into your selfserve account and click on "Plans and Add-ons" and then click on "Change sim" and then enter the new sim card's serial number.  

krish2134

hi..i have the standard size simcard i upgrade my phone i need a nano sim...do i need to order or pay for new sim?..pls help me.thank you 

Mchan

Hello, 

I have been without network access for almost three days, I think it's because of faulty sim card. If I order a new sim card and expedite the shipping, will I get the sim card cost and shipping expenses reimbursed? 

srlawren

Hi @polisheagle--the existing SIM card you have is totally fine, you do not need to worry about replacing it.  This information is more helpful for folks that may have lost their phone (or had it stolen) with their existing SIM card in the phone, and now they need a new one.  For example.  

polisheagle

I am using a sim card that I got about 10 months ago for the first time (been waiting for a good opportunity to switch providers). Is there a reason I should consider getting a new one or will the one I have be okay?

Cookin

Thanks @imm1304 that's good news!

imm1304

Hey @Cookin,

Nothing changes as far as your current plan is concerned.

You simply need to sign into your account, register the new sim card by going to "Chnage sim" and enter the new sim card's serial number.  Once registered, insert the new sim in your phone and carry on using your plan uninterrupted.  

Cookin

What happens to my current plan when I replace my SIM card with a new one?

I am halfway into a 90 day plan and don't want to lose the remainder of the plan.

pav

@Martin

I was referring to the PM login credentials (for existing account holders).

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello pav,

I have a question for you. To which credentials were you *specifically* referring? We might have different ones in mind, and I want to ensure that my reply of 11:14 pm EDT was correct.

Thanks.
Need Help? Let's chat.