cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mysterious data usage

KRFR
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

New to public mobile, just looking at data usage. Shows that data is being used during times the phone is at home, on home wifi, charging and not being used (through the night for instance). Any thoughts as to what could be causing this? Given it's a plan with limited data, every bit counts!

10 REPLIES 10

oops.. @dust2dust  is correct

@gpixel- You replied to Aimeemu but tagged KRFR.

You can have all your radios on and then switch on airplane mode and they all turn off. You can turn each of them back on. You would be left with no cellular until you turn off airplane mode.

Adding - actually...gps and nfc stay on (at least with my phone). But wifi, bluetooth and cell turn off. So you can turn those two on while in airplane mode. No cell.

@Aimeemu wrote:

Actually 11.43 MB was for one hotspot in airplane mode.  We purchased 6 GB and he has his 75 % warning. I have changed every setting and he is barely on cellular. 

@Aimeemu Login to My Account again using Incognito mode.  The site has some issue and sometimes the usage you see is not accurate.  You will need Incognito mode (or clear cache) to get the up-to-date usage

Also, was mobile data turned off while teh kid using your Hotspot?  Phones these days have Wifi-Assist /Adaptive Wifi feature.  The phone will start using Mobile data when the wifi signal is too weak.

And, is the phone an Android?  Check the Mobile Data usage page for tracing back the usage.  Just make sure you change the cycle start date to match PM's cycle start date

@KRFR 

unfortunately one cannot use airplane mode and have internet at the same time. airplane mode is made to disable everything. I suggest disabling mobile data and not having wifi and mobile data both running. wifi tends to disconnect at times and the device will revert to mobile data if there is a disconnection to the wifi. 

Aimeemu

Actually 11.43 MB was for one hotspot in airplane mode.  We purchased 6 GB and he has his 75 % warning. I have changed every setting and he is barely on cellular. 

@Aimeemu   how much data usage ?  is it just 1 or 2 MB?  or a lot more than that?

Aimeemu

I found the same issue.  The data appears off. On Wifi it appears to be still collecting cellular data. As this plan is for my son. We hotspot off our unlimited package and it is still charging even in airplane mode.  

hTideFnow
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@KRFR 

different browser,open incognito mode,clear cache,cookie, try Login

KRFR

That makes sense - thanks for clarifying!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@KRFR 

With the data usage, PM only updates the data usage couple times a day and not constantly updating   So, the time showing and the usage is just the total usage between that  time stamp and the time stamp of thr precious data entry there   Hope that clears it up

Need Help? Let's chat.