cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Account has been compromised.

Murphcrud1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Who do I contact at PM regarding my data being used up by someone from outside of my home?

17 REPLIES 17

Murphcrud1

and ????

Murphcrud1

Relax Pal, I am just stating the facts as I know them.  The problem has been resolved

Those timestamps are accumulated. So the 12 hours up to 12 midnight. The then 12 hours to 12:39pm. Not actual time of use.

Murphcrud1

My data has been used Nov 21-25 between the hours of 12 Midnight to 12:39 PM. I can assure you that I did not use it as That is well beyond my bed time.  I checked my account usage and it shows that all my data has been used for my billing period.

@Murphcrud1 

We are all customers here trying to help other customers. You did not give enough details in your original post so we are left to guess of different possibilities.

Whoa. We're just trying ideas around to try to get to the bottom of what happened.

The usage details are not actual time of use. They're accumulated usage from the last time it was posted.

The sentence is even accurate if you did indeed leave your hotspot on and it was being used. Unless you would like to stick a smiley after your never.

Murphcrud1

You say, "Perhaps you are consuming the data at a rate higher than expected".  NEVER !

I have been with PM for over 3 years and have never exceeded my plan.  My data was used after midnight for the past 5 nights - I can assure you, I was long asleep when this was happening.

0 Bravos

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

Of course @Murphcrud1 may just be expressing surprise at all the data being used up OR maybe receiving a text from PM indicating 75% or 95% of data has been used up. Wasn’t really enough info about the problem given.

We regularly have people reporting something wrong that their data is all gone and of course there are lots of possibilities. One new app or change could have introduced something that is constantly up using  data and rapidly depleting it. People have used speed test and burned most of their data up right there. Also, if related to a text from PM these have been in error quite regularly in the past.

Somif you can provide more detail as to what’s has led you to your concluding about data use, we may be able to be of more help.

Murphcrud1

Yes can call and text.  That Hotspotting must have been the issue.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Murphcrud1 

You should log into self service but clear your browser cache first and then open a new window in incognito/private mode. Click on the spinner to refresh your data so that you see the most update information. Confirm on your phone that your apps are not using background data. 

Murphcrud1

It looks like you have probably solved my issue.  My phone had been been set to on for my Personal Hotspot.  It was left on from a recent vacation.  Thanks for your help

@Murphcrud1 wrote:

I don't understand what you mean.  SIM Jacked?  How would this be possible and how would I verify this on my account.  I still have access to my account and just my data has been used, nothing else from my PM plan.

You said your account was compromised.  I was thinking somebody was able to access your account and switch out the SIM card in the account.  If you have access to your account and your phone is functional which means there was no SIM jack, then I think there is nothing wrong with your account.  People can't steal your data.  That is not possible.  I have many Public Mobile accounts.  I cannot take data from one account and move it to another account.  Perhaps you are consuming the data at a rate higher than expected.  

But can you call and text in and out?

As mentioned the only way your data would be used is by hotspotting or bluetooth. If you have that on and someone figured out how to connect to it then they will use your data.

Murphcrud1

I don't understand what you mean.  SIM Jacked?  How would this be possible and how would I verify this on my account.  I still have access to my account and just my data has been used, nothing else from my PM plan.

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Also contact @CS_Agent  in private messages. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Murphcrud1 , are you saying you have been SIM jacked, i.e., somebody changed the SIM card on your account and has taken it over?  If if you have access to the account still you can declare lost phone, change the account password and replace the SIM card ASAP.  

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Murphcrud1 

In order for that to happen, your device would have to be compromised or allowing third-party access through hotspotting.

Either of those options are related to the device settings, probably not something public mobile can change.

Need Help? Let's chat.