cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to the US

navins94
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a roaming plan on the US with a deactivated Canadian account? As in, if I purchase and start a US roaming plan before my plan expires in Canada, will I still have service in the US until the roaming plan expires? 

14 REPLIES 14

@navins94

Have a look at H2O Wireless as well. They are another MVNO, but on AT&T's network. Very reasonable LTE plans.

You can buy SIM cards on eBay for cheap and activate here before you go.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Or you can get this:

https://www.freedompop.com/

MOBILE FOR LESS

• 100% Free Basic Plan - 500 texts, 200 minutes, and 500MB each month
  • Premium Unlimited Plans up to 80% off other carriers
  • No contract. No commitment. Cancel anytime
  • Wifi calling and texting from anywhere
  • Free Unlimited calling & texting between FreedomPop phones
  • Free international calling from over 60 countries
  • Access over 8 Million hotspots with nationwide roaming
  • Get virtual number from anywhere in the world
  • Earn free 4G LTE data every month by adding friends
  • Earn unlimited free data by completing partner offers

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Roam mobility is another option. 

https://roammobility.com/

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You might be over thinking things.

When are you moving to the USA and when does your PM plan expire?

If you pm number is active while in US, just buy the US add-ons.

Forwarding to fongo will not work if you PM plan is expired.

Also are you on one of the old promo plans. I could be interested in taking it over.

navins94

Yeah I hadn't heard of fongo until now but I'm looking into it! Thanks for the suggestion! 

While you are waiting for the sim from mint, why don't you get fongo in the meantime, don't port your PM number to fongo but just forward your PM number to fongo, so while you are in U.S. , you can get your calls until you switch to mint. 

navins94

Thanks for your suggestions guys. 

Yeah I'm planning to get a plan when I go there but I'm trying to go with a provider called mint that is similar to public mobile.  they need some time to ship me the sim so I want to try and maintain service through public mobile if possible for the 10 days until they ship it to me. 

I have a couple of other options such as getting a prepaid plan through T-mobile, for whom mint is an MVNO, but Im just fleshing out my options.  

Thanks for your help guys 🙂

mimmo

Plans needs minimum one service. Add-ons will not work if you do not have the base item ie no texting in plan roaming texting g will not work

navins94

Do you think it would count if my base plan has no talk, no text, and no data? It's still $10 for that plan.  If so I could just do that and get the roaming plan I need. 

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@navins94 if you are moving to US, why not get a local sim or plan when you get there. 

If if you want to keep your current number then please consider @mimmo suggestion. 

mimmo

You could get a fongo number and port your number to fongo. It costs 25$.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@navins94, if you let your plan expire your addons will not be active either.  Your phone needs to be active and have a base plan attached to it for the addon to work

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I would say in order to have roaming available, you would need an active base plan, including voice or texting.

navins94
Need Help? Let's chat.