cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS while using esim for data

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

If I am using an e-sim (from a different provider) for data will I receive any notification from PM that a MMS has been sent to me?

Edited for clarity.

14 REPLIES 14

@softech wrote:

But data was set to off on your PM SIM?  um.  I wonder what made it works.   Anyway, glad you got what you want to see 

@softech Data was off. As I said, my phone probably turns on the data to send and receive MMS and then turns it back off. 

But data was set to off on your PM SIM?  um.  I wonder what made it works.   Anyway, glad you got what you want to see 

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kb_mv I'm glad you have it figured out😀

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@softech @iliketotalk @esjliv @MrSpock I'm not sure why it never occurred to me to test it seeing as I have 2 phones lol. I turned off all data on my phone and sent myself a MMS from my other one. PM did indeed send me a message telling me I had a MMS waiting to download (see first pic below) and if I select the message I can then download the MMS. As you will also see my phone prompted me to allow MMS while data is off! I went to the settings and selected it as shown in the second picture. A follow up test with data and wifi turned off and I can send and receive MMS. I assume the phone is turning on PM data to send and receive.

I also recalled I have an esim on my phone for the Caribbean so I activated that and set it for default data use, which turns off data on PM. I repeated the test and received the MMS from PM with no issue. Live and learn!

Resized_20220613_095147.jpegResized_20220613_095255.jpeg

@softech wrote:

@kb_mv   which data provider you are going with?  I have a Fido, too.. data only.  But I don't think they allow eSIM for their data only subscribers  😞

@softech I haven't decided yet. My data use varies a lot from one month to another and I have been making good use of the free data that I have accumulated as well as the occasional data add on. Data is much cheaper on esim than it is here for 1GB. I am looking here: https://esimdb.com/canada

I have seen 1GB/30 days for US $7.

@kb_mv   which data provider you are going with?  I have a Fido, too.. data only.  But I don't think they allow eSIM for their data only subscribers  😞

@iliketotalk wrote:

@kb_mv so if you had an esim for data from another provider I am assuming you have a cheap plan with little or no data from public? if this is the case leave your data on with public and you will receive your mms 

@iliketotalk You are correct about the cheap plan with little data. Unfortunately you cannot have two different sims selected to receive data on my phone (Pixel 5) at the same time.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv so if you had an esim for data from another provider I am assuming you have a cheap plan with little or no data from public? if this is the case leave your data on with public and you will receive your mms 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Sorry, I don't know the answer @kb_mv . But would be curious if others have experience, and would know on this one.

@softech wrote:

@kb_mv   You probably already know PM does not support eSIM yet.   

So, are you trying those eSIM adapter card?  If so, Not sure which one you are going to use, but there was one reported that somehow it didn't work for PM, he cannot get the eSIM profile downloaded 

@softech My phone has dual sim and I am looking to use the second one for data while using the PM one for calls and SMS.

Edited for spelling.

@kb_mv wrote:

@MrSpock Thanks. I have been here awhile so I know there are no e-sims here. What happens to a MMS sent to me if I don't change the data source to PM to check for one (how long does it stay somewhere)?

@kb_mv   Telus will keep it for up to 5 days for redelivery 

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/3-easy-steps-to-fix-your-text-message-issues#:~:text=Note%3....

The TELUS network will store and attempt to deliver the text messages to the phone for up to 5 days. If the messages are not delivered after 5 days they will be permanently deleted from the network.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@kb_mv   You probably already know PM does not support eSIM yet.   

So, are you trying those eSIM adapter card?  If so, Not sure which one you are going to use, but there was one reported that somehow it didn't work for PM, he cannot get the eSIM profile downloaded 

@MrSpock Thanks. I have been here awhile so I know there are no e-sims here. What happens to a MMS sent to me if I don't change the data source to PM to check for one (how long does it stay somewhere)?

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kb_mv hi public doesn't use esim but if you had an esim for data from another service you would not receive a notification from Public 

Need Help? Let's chat.