cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS Counting Towards Data Usage.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I was testing MMS earlier today and I checked my usage and I see MMS count as 1MB towards my data 250MB data limit. I thought MMS weren't supposed to count towards my data usage.

12 REPLIES 12

Ed404

@Anonymous wrote:

Upon turning on data, the system shows that it has taken exactly 5.293MB of data. Turn off data and flip in/out of airplane mode and it will reset to what it thinks the phone actually used. For as long as your data stays off it won't move. Then when you turn it on it will take that amount again. And as you use data it will grab that amount again and again. It's basically like a buffer. Waiting overnight or airplane mode releases the buffer.

Alright I just did that, now it says 0.627MB / 250MB, which is less than what my phones states.

@Ed404 wrote:

@totalUser @ShawnC13 @geopublic @ChuckYeah 

Ok, I assumed the 1 meant 1 MB it's just "1". The data usage cycle in my phone matches my self-serve account. My phone says the Google messages app has used no data (RCS enabled). I already have an app to restrict all the apps data usage. When I turn on data only a little tiny bit is used for who knows what.

My phone says it used 1.28MB data, but Public Mobile says I've used 5.9MB. Why's that?

datatest.pngdatatest2.png

@Nezgar 

That's great thanks for verification from experience.

@Ed404, I took one for the team and sent myself a MMS.  I registered a data event as well exactly as you have posted.  I also use the google messaging app with RCS enabled.  From what I read, it seems less than certain that RCS will use the MMS proxy.  Remember that RCS is not yet sanctioned by Public Mobile.  There is a possibility that RCS does not play nice with the MMS proxy.  This behavior is very different than the funkiness displayed by the data counter when it tries to reset. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ed404 wrote:

@totalUser wrote:

Hi @Ed404 

I believe couple of people have noticed that their cycle starts with 4-5 megs though they believe they didn't use it. I remember reading a post like that where the community have the background setup/server/settings/maintenance of some sort. Give it a search through community history to see how it was resolved, it was pretty recent maybe couple of months

So it's a one time thing? I noticed my brother's account also have 8MB used and he hasn't really used it much at all. I just thought the higher data usage was MMS related. Thanks for the details.

Upon turning on data, the system shows that it has taken exactly 5.293MB of data. Turn off data and flip in/out of airplane mode and it will reset to what it thinks the phone actually used. For as long as your data stays off it won't move. Then when you turn it on it will take that amount again. And as you use data it will grab that amount again and again. It's basically like a buffer. Waiting overnight or airplane mode releases the buffer.

Ed404

@totalUser wrote:

Hi @Ed404 

I believe couple of people have noticed that their cycle starts with 4-5 megs though they believe they didn't use it. I remember reading a post like that where the community have the background setup/server/settings/maintenance of some sort. Give it a search through community history to see how it was resolved, it was pretty recent maybe couple of months

So it's a one time thing? I noticed my brother's account also have 8MB used and he hasn't really used it much at all. I just thought the higher data usage was MMS related. Thanks for the details.

@Ed404 wrote:

Ok, I assumed the 1 meant 1 MB it's just "1". The data usage cycle in my phone matches my self-serve account. My phone says the Google messages app has used no data (RCS enabled). I already have an app to restrict all the apps data usage. When I turn on data only a little tiny bit is used for who knows what.

My phone says it used 1.28MB data, but Public Mobile says I've used 5.9MB. Why's that?

@Nezgar 

Hi @Ed404 

@Ed404 , I'm sure your not the first one to have this concern, and won't be the last.

Ed404

@Nezgar 

I for one can attest that even once my data allotment was fully consumed, and Internet access was no longer working, I was still able to send & receive MMS messages. This would imply that it is accounted for separately.

Before you contact the mods, go back and look at your usage. If you look for a web entry it says ##.### MB where your texts just say 1. 

I don't think this represents a MB just a text which uses data to send, but still does not indicate any MB were used. I'm not saying you shouldn't contact @CS_Agent, just that you should expect when you contact them that the answer might be, you are not using data.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Ed404  MMS does not use up data unless your are routing MMS using data via RCS or iMesssage. If your use MMS then that 1MB is a holding bucket that PM uses temporarily every time you turn data on your phone and it eventually gets released back into your data allotment.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Ed404 wrote:

I was testing MMS earlier today and I checked my usage and I see MMS count as 1MB towards my data 250MB data limit. I thought MMS weren't supposed to count towards my data usage.

Are you able to post a screen shot of the usage?  I looked at mine MMS has a 1  and usage MMS but no measure of data.  I think it is just a count not an actual amount of usage as when I use data it says WEB 234mb  USAGE MB

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Yup they are not supposed to.

You should counteract moderators to look into it

I know it's not big deal for most purple bit when you have small data it is

What does your phone usage say though? Tweak the start date to match pm

Thanks

Ps one more thing i forgot to mention that while your data was turned on to send mms someapp on your phone might have use the opportunity to use that data. I keep almost everything restricted except messages and calls

Need Help? Let's chat.