cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost sim and phone, no access to email to get security code. help please!

ShaTR
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My uncle lost his phone (actually got stolen at the hospital). Got a new sim, but since his email requires 2 step, there's no way to get the security code to activate the new sim. I can access his public mobile account, just not his email for the verification code.

What can be done? We don't want to lose his number or his loyalty rewards. Appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

ShaTR

After contacting cs agent, he advised me to submit a ticket and they would surely be able to fix the issue via some simple identity confirmation. As of right now, it's only a final reply away from being solved. Thank you all for your help! 🙂 

ShaTR

He's an old man, doesn't use any tech besides his phone. And even then, only whatsapp and camera. Will try CSA. thanks. 

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Unless he has some other trusted device for his email (laptop, desktop, tablet, etc.) or another way to get 2FA code (email, recovery code, temp totp), you will not be able to get into email. I think as suggested, CSA should be able to help you with swapping SIM card. 2FA authentication is great as long as you have an alternate way to get into and depending on one device is really dangerous. I highly suggest using some apps, like Authy, LastPass authenticator, etc and also make sure you have access to TOTP codes in multiple locations. 

ShaTR

Neither he nor ican access his email because the only way to log into his email is via 2 step. This is impossible because he doesn't have a phone/sim to receive such a text on. So we're locked out of his email and therefore no way to get the sim to activate. This is the big problem. 

ps. yes, we reported it as lost/stolen on self-serve.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ShaTR  No sure how much time you have to enter the confirmation code, but there is a chance he could forward it be email to you. Alternatively,  he could give you access to his email account for a day. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@ShaTR wrote:

My uncle lost his phone (actually got stolen at the hospital). Got a new sim, but since his email requires 2 step, there's no way to get the security code to activate the new sim. What can be done? We don't want to lose his number or his loyalty rewards. Appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

@ShaTR  - can you access his email for him? Then you could use his email to authenticate.

Did you report it LOST/STOLEN on his Self Serve account?

Two ways to contact CSA:

1- Put in a ticket through SIMon Bot (usually faster method to get in contact with the Public Mobile Customer Support) by clicking on the bottom, right chat bubble.
OR
2- Private message the Customer Support here (slower method): https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ShaTR 

If I were you, I would send a private message to CS_Agent with your uncle's account details so they can advise on the best course of action.

Need Help? Let's chat.