cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my phone & paused service but…

Toddlum
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I lost my phone and while I was without a phone I had put my service on hold. It was around 2 weeks before I got another phone and unpaused my account. How come my subscription didn’t pause? I have to pay for the time I didn’t use the service? Shouldn’t my subscription be extended for the time that it was paused? 

7 REPLIES 7

@Toddlum 

PM is a prepaid provider, not a postpaid.  Only postpaid provider might have the option to  you stop the service any time

With prepaid provider, you play for the next 30 days of service, whether you use it or not

If you used Lost/Stolen, it will stop the service but they won't refund you the unused days.  But when next renewal day comes, it won't renew

With Autopay turned off , your still get the service and not "pause" on the day you disable the service. But when next newal day comes, it won't renewa itself

But why choose prepaid?  main advantage is that you paid before you use, no surprise billing.  So, even you lost your phone, someone got it , they can't use it to call LD or use extra data and cost you more money

Toddlum

I lost my phone and put my service on hold. So when I got a new phone and unpaused my account, why did I have to pay for the time it was paused? I already put in a ticket using the chatbot, but no one got back to me, and I'm hoping someone here can help me faster.

slusagm
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

pause is a pause, it works for me,.

how you paused that? disable Autopay ? click Lost/Stolen? then both should work

if you are sure you did the right thing, ask PM.  Open ticket with them using the orange charbot icon.  Start the question Submit ticket and select Contact Us to open the open ticket screen

Toddlum

My question is simple: if pausing my service doesn’t actually pause it, then why does Public Mobile offer the option to pause the service in the first place? It's not right that I have to pay for a service I wasn’t using.

@Toddlum , it's your decision on whether to use the service. It's not up to the service provider to decide how long you will take to get a replacement phone.  Generally the current plan cycle cannot be paused even if lost phone is declared. 

Toddlum

Why should I have to pay for a service that I wasn’t using? And what is the point of “pausing” it, if it doesn’t actually pause it?

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You can't actually "pause" your subscription, you can only turn off automatic renewal. Your account will then go into suspended state at the next billing date. It's not an immediate freeze.

Need Help? Let's chat.