cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Rewards Loyalty

SchrodingrsCube
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just changed plans to a lower one rather than cancelling the account and i went from $12 to $4 and don't really think it will be worth keeping any plan since as i had to pay to make the switch and im still going to be away for a while.. it looks like any Loyalty is only for sticking around to the same plan. is there an explanation on how Loyalty Rewards are actually calculated and loss? trying to figure if i keep the small plan or just leave. 

7 REPLIES 7

MellyBee

Thanks for the incredibly detailed explanation! 

@MellyBee wrote:

Yummy,

just to confirm… if I “change plan now” I will pay full price today.  But will my legacy rewards continue to be applied on the next months’s bill?  Or does “change plan now” lose past promotions?

Im on multi-year legacy rewards with multiple referrals so definitely don’t want to lose that!

thanks!!

@MellyBee 

Your rewards are tied to the account, not the plan. You will not lose them unless you actively opt into Public Points (DO NOT switch, you can't get $$ rewards back!).

It's highly recommended that you schedule a plan change for next renewal to not lose non-refundable plan cost and remaining data of the current plan. Rewards will be added to your available funds in the afternoon before renewal as normal, and the system will just ask for the differnence between new plan cost and available funds.

If you are set on doing an immediate plan change, you will need to pay the full plan amount at the time of plan change. The rewards will be credited to the available funds after activation of the new plan, usually within 3 days (not all will be credited at the same time). An immediate plan change will change your renewal date to the beginning of the new plan.

The only promotion you'd be losing with a plan change would be those sign-up promos, like "$5 off for 12months" or "2GB extra" on a (at the time of sign-up) regular plan. But I haven't seen any of those for a long, long time... and if it was a "permanent" bonus, the data amount has likely been vastly overtaken in the past year or so, with $/GB dropping like a rock...

MellyBee

Yummy,

just to confirm… if I “change plan now” I will pay full price today.  But will my legacy rewards continue to be applied on the next months’s bill?  Or does “change plan now” lose past promotions?

Im on multi-year legacy rewards with multiple referrals so definitely don’t want to lose that!

thanks!!

thermalvision

Did you change from a 90 day plan to a 30 day plan? If you were earning $12 for 90 days, it makes sense that it would go to $4 for 30 days.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Sorry, it's hard to make sense of your post.

- How long have you been with Public Mobile?

On the legacy rewards you will get $1/ plan cycle per calendar year you have been a customer, up to $5. * 

If you are just running the plan continuously (instead of suspending it for 85 days, activating it for a cycle, suspending it for another 85 days... saves money, but you won't be able to use the phone in any shape or form while it's in suspension), leave "subscription" / autopay on, this will give you another $2 off per cycle.

So, essentially without doing anything, you are getting (up to) $7 off, making the $15 plan a $8 plan.

Are you sure you didn't lose some referrals, your numbers indicate that you might have had 5 referrals on the $25 plan, and then 4 on the $15 plan... As I say, I find it hard to understand.

When you say you had to pay for the switch - if you changed plans effective immediatly mid cycle, yes, it will charge you the full new amount of the new plan (rewards will be credited within 72hours of the payment). Better choice would have been changing plans at renewal, so that your rewards are applied normally.

In my opinion, 12 x $4 = $48 / year is a reasonable amount to hold onto a number and account.

As mentioned above, you could also suspend the account to save more money, but you want to stay on top of those dates since the account and number will be permanently lost if you miss the suspension window of 90 days.

Other cheap-ish option would be porting to SpeakOut ($25/year, physical SIM, works in Canada only) or a VoIP service like Fongo or voip.ms. Porting to / from the later can be tricky/time-intensive/need-a-one-time-fee.

* Suspension of more than 60 days will delay your rewards accordingly. Say you signed up on January 1, 2020, your plan has been continuously active, so your first rewards, 1$ will be taken off your bill on your renewal on January 25/2021. You then suspend your plan from July 21/2021 until October 16/2021 (85days), so your loyalty rewards will only move up to $2 on the renewal after March 27/2022, and so on.

Blue20

Changing plans should not change your rewards. 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Changing plans does NOT influence your rewards (loyalty, autopay, etc.). You can change up/down and on next billing cycle your rewards will be applied.

IF you changed plan NOW then rewards will NOT be applied and you would pay more (current plan + new plan).

PM does not charge anything extra for plan change - unless you change plan NOW, as I mentioned above.

Need Help? Let's chat.