cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for suggestions?

dkpenney
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi! 
I am in the US for 5-6 months and no longer able to receive calls or texts with PM from Canada. I have been with PM for a few years now.  I want to go with a 4G plan and want to know if there is a calling option as well as texting with 4G internationally at this time? I’m assuming all my loyalty perks and bonuses are not valid being outside of Canada right now? It says I have 75/150 days left on my bonuses but they don’t seem to be working outside of Canada and is telling me to add on the “roaming” feature at this time. 
I’m trying to get the best deal living in the US at this time so my family can contact me with no issues but at this time I am unable to contact them via PM. 
Any suggestions would be great! Thank you! 

edited by computergeek541:  changed label (unrelated to community category label topics)

11 REPLIES 11

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@dkpenney 

What PM plan are you on now?

If you are on a 4G plan and paying about $25 to $29 a month, it does make financial sense to upgrade to the $34 5G 50 GB canada-us plan. If you you still have some philosophical reason for not using 5G, just be aware that you need to downgrade the network setting on your phone to 4G LTE anyways to get any service in the United States, so technically you won't be using 5G!

If you are on an inexpensive $15 plan, there's no way to make or receive PM calls while you are in the US. However, there is a workaround where you can call forward your PM number to TextNow. Anybody from Canada phoning your PM number would then have the call forwarded to your TextNow number on your phone. For you to contact people back home, you would just dial from TextNow to Canada. I could give you a detailed explanation along with a link to the call forwarding page of PM. However, every time I go through the trouble of doing this, my post ends up getting removed. Good luck.

@dkpenney 

You can port your number over to the TextNow SIM but your PM account will be closed.

I have the PM SIM in my phone with my PM number and I use the TextNow number on the PM app while in Canada. I install the TextNow SIM while I am in the USA.

I also keep the SIM in a ziplock bag when not in use inside the phone case.

If your phone have dual SIM. You can keep both SIM the 2 different numbers.

dkpenney

Thank you! This sounds like it might be a great option at this time. I’m looking into it right now. I appreciate your reply! 

dkpenney

Can we keep our PM phone number with the TextNow app? If so, is there any need to have both Or do I really only need TextNow? This is all new to me so wondering what would be the best option, because if TextNow offers everything I need do I really need both plans? 

dkpenney

Thanks BKNS27! Sounds like you have a good deal there! 
I’m hoping PM goes unlimited calling with 4G Canada/US but for now it only offers unlimited texting. That may be my only option right now but hoping that changes in the near future! 

dkpenney

Thank you Eddie O! 
Yes, I saw that option but was hoping it was available with 4G but it doesn’t look to be available with 4G at this time.

Thanks again! 

dkpenney

Thank you softech! I appreciate your reply!
I don’t want to go 5G, only 4G max but unfortunately it doesn’t allow me unlimited calling in the US with 4G at this time. Only unlimited texting internationally. I hope they change that and allow unlimited minutes with 4G as well. 
My only choice may be the unlimited texting internationally right now by the looks of it? 

Mackcurran

If you dont seem to be having any luck with your public mobile plan, I suggest contacting support. If you are still unable to keep yourncurrent plan by adding roaming, id suggest opting for a textnow sim card and talk text plan as they are a cheap alternative if all you require is talk and text. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@dkpenney 

Besides picking the $34 Canada/USA plan.

I have the TextNow SIM for free calling and texting to Canada and USA without the need of wifi when I am in the US. Great for snowbirds and data is at a very low cost.

eddieO
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Have you looked into the $34 50GB Canada/US plan? You won't need to bother with getting roaming setup going over the border and it allows you to use call/text and data freely on both sides

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@dkpenney 

PM has many great Canada-US plans, basically include US roaming with the plan price and it allows you to talk/text/data while you are in US like you are in Canada.  Cheapest one is just $34/month

Check here
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans?network=ALL

if you want to change to any of them, just go to My Account, Change Subscription.  You can choose Change on Renewal if you don't need the feature now and can wait till next cycle, or you can use Change Now (but no partial refund with your current cycle)

Need Help? Let's chat.