cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long time to ring after dialing

paul148
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just switched over to PM - Very frequently it took a long time to ring, and sometime the call just failed.  Sometime I can't even hear anything until the middle of the greeting (like when I called a company).  This is true to many numbers or ISPs that I called.  This happened when I have 2 bars.

Any help would be appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11

Local network machinery often seems to need some time to "learn" which numbers they're serving and which numbers (on other network machinery) they tend to connect with. At whatever pace they can manage. Hours, days, weeks, whatever.

At least that's been my experience, when using a number originally assigned to a different number block (a different calling area). Service seems especially laggy and unreliable in fringe areas which lack multiple overlapping coverages, even when the signal bars suggest good service is available. And, as usual, service is never reliable near certain places/structures/etc regardless of your phone or provider - this might or might not be the problem in this particular instance.

There's little end-users can do other than reconfigure or reset their devices.

paul148

will13am and esiliv: manually setting it to 3G seems to help - to be tested some more.

For my understanding, I have the 10G plan, and the data is said to be at 3G.  So why LTE?

Thanks.

paul148

Thanks, softech.  My IOS is up to date.  What do you mean by carrier profile?  I saw PM in network setting in cellular data.  Is that what you meant?

paul148

Thanks.  I actually joined almost a month ago.  I did have problem with receiving text at the beginning and toggling airplane mode helped.  I'll follow softtech tips.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It could be due to signal strength, network congestion, etc.  Also, phone calls are on the 3G network.  The phone typically sits on 4G/LTE when on standby.  There must be all sorts of handshakes to switch networks and process the call.  The suggestion of going to 3G first before making the call could help but then the act of doing this manually kind of defeats the purpose of expediency.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@paul148  - 

Perhaps the new activation is just stalling a bit. I know that sounds weird, but suggestions by @softech may help you.

You can also try toggling into and out of airplane mode, this may help refresh your network.

If you still have issues you could also try manually select the 3G / WCDMA ONLY network in your Mobile Connections area in your settings. But this should be only temporary, I believe it is best to have it set to Autoconnect.

@paul148   

Please also make sure your iOS is on the latest one

Make sure you have the latest Carrier profile 

paul148

No.  I am in Ontario.

@paul148   Any chance you are in Manitoba area?

paul148

My phone is iphone 10.  I have another phone - will try your suggestion.  BTW this happened both at home and at work.  I have learned to be more patient.😊  But it is rather inconvenient.

Thanks very much for your help.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@paul148   Does that only happen in some particular location?  Maybe it is better when you make calls outside of your usual area?

Try a network reset and see if it helps

And What kind of phone do you have?  brand and model?

Also, if you have a 2nd phone , try the PM SIM on your other phone and see if you got the same experience

Need Help? Let's chat.