cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long-Distance Calls

Tabbott36
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Public Community Members!

I just switched from Virgin Mobile to Public and I noticed certain numbers I call which Virgin classified as "local calls" are now classified as "long-distance calls" by Public. Is this normal? Has anyone else had similar experiences?

7 REPLIES 7

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Tabbott36   No, it's NOT normal that you can't call some number used to be local.  And you were not looking to call Virgin , were you?

Did you try to add 1 in front of the numbers?  (you have unlimited Canada calling and PM is prepaid, no need to worry about LD charge)

If still fail, maybe what exact local numbers are you trying to call?  If it is some store numbers, would you mind to share?

If it is a friends number, at least give us the Area Code and first 3 digits, maybe we can try.. 

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Tabbott36 

Did any of the above mentioned tips/tricks help?  If not...

Can you clarify where these "local calls" are that you're trying to dial?  Are they by any chance "shortcode" numbers?  (For example, instead of ten-digit ###-###-#### numbers, they're shorter- like for radio stations, CAA, or something specific?)

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Tabbott36 wrote:

Hi Public Community Members!

I just switched from Virgin Mobile to Public and I noticed certain numbers I call which Virgin classified as "local calls" are now classified as "long-distance calls" by Public. Is this normal? Has anyone else had similar experiences?

@Tabbott36 

If the call completes, even with that message you are receiving, you can ignore the message. You will never get charged for overages or something you did not already pay for.

If the call will not complete, in addition to adding a 1 in front (like already suggested) try a reboot of your phone or toggle into airplane mode than back again.

You can also try a reset of your network settings.

If calls will still not go through contact the Moderators to check your account and let them know your experience.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two methods to reach them:

1 -  Faster - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right-hand side of your screen,

or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

@Tabbott36 

Sometimes you will get default telus messages warning you that long distances charges may apply, you don't have a long distance plan etc....these are courtesy messages for customers with providers or plans that may only have local, provincial or limited use calling plans. For the most part you can ignore these messages and your call will complete after the message ends. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tabbott36 : Just add a 1 in front of all your contacts numbers and when you dial and you'll be fine. It's a curiosity, but it doesn't matter when you have all Canada-wide anyway.

Edit: If you're getting the recording saying long distance charges _may_ apply then disregard it and stay on and the call will go through.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Most cities now require ten digit dialing even for local calls.

Anonymous
Not applicable

your welcome to public mobile 

it's a normal 

Virgin Mobile Customer service: 1 (888) 999-2321

To get the obvious out of the way...you used +1 in front of the country code? Sometimes there are some extra leading zero's in country codes and "foreign" area codes. Maybe try not using leading zeros.

with a Beautiful Service

you will be very happy

Good Luck

Need Help? Let's chat.