cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked but not locked!

Al_EWYN
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

 First time with Public. Set up my account and all went well until I put the sim in the iPhone 6s... a msg came up saying “Sim not Supported” and goes on to say that the carrier is not supported and that I should request that it be unlocked. The thing is... it’s not locked. It shows that Public is my carrier? Has anyone seen this before? 

7B867985-1B18-4C05-97F8-AAD072A28FDF.jpeg

13 REPLIES 13

@Al_EWYN wrote:

Thanks! The phone was in fact locked. (forehead slap)

To unlock iPhone. 

Tap carrier below to start the Unlock Process by Chat. Unlocking a Mobile Phone purchased from a Canadian Carrier is free. The carrier usually sends an email to give you information to complete the process. The unlock will only be done by the selling Carrier. Ie. Telus will NOT unlock a phone purchased from Bell.

Bell (Tap Mobility)

Bell (Tap unlock your bell device)

Rogers

Fido (Tap Live Chat)

Telus (Tap the smiley box on bottom right of screen)

Any broken links? Let me know and I will fix.

Any information to add? Let me and will update.

Al_EWYN

Thanks! The phone was in fact locked. (forehead slap)

@hairbag1 ........ @Al_EWYN   did reply just above your last post.  

@Al_EWYN...did you get your phone issue squared away ? If so, please select one of the above answers as a SOLUTION. that person would be grateful for the recognition.

Welcome to PM.

Al_EWYN
Spoiler
Spoiler
Thanks for the advice everyone. I’ll try these options over the next few days and select solved once I am done. Learning as I go. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Where is @Al_EWYN ?????

What? Hey! It's only two hours ago. 🙂 At least it's not yet a whole other day or more. Maybe they got their answer and have gone off with a working service happy as a clam.

That's my point. If solved..say thanks and give the thread a solution. If not solved then answer some questions and let there be more assistance provided. Volunteer help has to be more appreciated. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Where is @Al_EWYN ?????

What? Hey! It's only two hours ago. 🙂 At least it's not yet a whole other day or more. Maybe they got their answer and have gone off with a working service happy as a clam.

@Al_EWYN wrote:

 First time with Public. Set up my account and all went well until I put the sim in the iPhone 6s... a msg came up saying “Sim not Supported” and goes on to say that the carrier is not supported and that I should request that it be unlocked. The thing is... it’s not locked. It shows that Public is my carrier? Has anyone seen this before? 

7B867985-1B18-4C05-97F8-AAD072A28FDF.jpeg

What makes you think that your phone is unlocked? Is it becasue someone at the old carrier told you that it is? This wouldn't be the first time that someone has been told that a phone is unlocked when it isn't. Unless you've tried sim cards from multiple carriers someone wouldn't be able to know by simply looking at the device. The messages points to the fact that this device might still be locked.

@LurganIeUk 

Thank you for correcting my error....thats why youre my go to iPhone guy! Will edit my post....

buang99
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Try restarting your phone.

@darlicious wrote:

you can get it unlocked thru apple support

I am sure to go to Apple it will be a futile and unfulfilling effort. You need to know who the original carrier was that sold the phone.  That carrier has to unlock it at Apple. Once that is done you need to reboot the phone. One way of checking, is to hook up the phone to a computer with iTunes on it and do a full reset. "IF" the phone is unlocked, the last screen of the reset process on iTunes will say "Congratulations your iPhone is unlocked".

Try here and this may tell you if phone is unlock or may tell you the originating carrier. You will need the IMEI number. 

I usually do the "chat" option with the carrier. Bell is a 2 step, you give them the information like IMEI and they verify they sold it, then they pass on to another department and they request the unlock at Apple and then they email you letting you know it is unlocked. 

IT IS CLEARLY MENTIONED HERE ON THE APPLE WEB SITE THAT THEY DO NOT UNLOCK PHONES. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Al_EWYN 

Are you sure your phone is unlocked? Providers often say it's unlocked when it isn't. What brand if phone do you have? When and how did you get your phone?

Edit: Oops iphone6....you can get it unlocked thru apple support or call your previous provider again and demand they have it unlocked as per WCC regulations Dec 2017.

Edit #2: Please disregard my go to apple support advice and refer to @LurganIeUk post or just phone your former provider.

Need Help? Let's chat.