cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving PM going back to fido...

akuma4u
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

something unbelievable has happened

I left fido after 13 years to come to pm. I gave fido so many chances to keep me and match or do something to keep me there cuz of the 13 year relationship. They couldnt match pm. So i left .

3 days later...

I get a call today. Its fido. Some special department. He asks me what it will take to come back. I said nothing since u guys cant match pm plans .He said he is a special department and he can do a lot more than i think.

So...here is what he offered me

Reimbursement for pm sim and any charges ive built up while with pm

He give me 5gb and unlimited can wide for 40 a month

Now heres the unbelievable part...

He will give me almost any phone i want for the price of...FREE. 

he suggests samsung s9..i suggested huawei p20 pro..he said yes to that..then i changed it to pixel 3 xl..he said yes to that but plan would change to 60 a month for 2 yrs...then he said to get back to him tmrw and let him know which phone i want and tmrw the deal will expire so i gotta do this by end of day tmrw

The deal is too good to pass on..i wish i couldve stayed with pm but how can i turn down a free 1000$+ phone???

64 REPLIES 64

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

I don't think Telus would offer anything for porting into a lower tier company it owns.  It just wouldn't make sense.

Going to Chatr or Lucky, from Top Tier Telus, maybe.

This is likely true at least from my experience. I was with Telus since the Motorola brick phone of yore. My life situation changed and now I barely need a phone. Called their loyalty department and they couldn't do much for me. Leaned towards Koodo and then learned about this place. Came over here and chose a new "local" number as I had moved. I get the odd marketing email from Telus but nothing about please come back.

I don't think Telus would offer anything for porting into a lower tier company it owns.  It just wouldn't make sense.

Going to Chatr or Lucky, from Top Tier Telus, maybe.

akuma4u

Funny thing is its not even retention department that offered me this deal. Before leaving fido, i tried ny best to get fidos retention department to do something to make me stay. Match pm plan or reduce my current plan or whatever .They said theres nothing they can do .So i left. This offer i got is from a special department called winback .

Not sure how long u were with telus before u left but i was with fido for 13 years..he said this is the main reason i got offered such a good deal. 

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Its prepaid so all funds are gone when you cancel...with autopay removed you should be good to go...good day 

akuma4u

I confirmed. There is no catch. The 40 price will stay the same for 2 years and not go up. If i decide to leave early i have to pay 40 x remaining months .i got him to write this all down and give me the transaction id. He said they only offer these types of deals to long time customers and not everyone so thats why its such a good deal .he also gave me a 150 dollar credit to cover all public mobile expenses i.e sim and 1st month .btw..i only used 3 days of service so is the amount pro-rated or even if its 1 day usage will the full 38 dollar be charged??

I removed autopay. What else do i have to do to end the service? 

Btw i ended up going for the huawei p20 pro and keepin my plan at 40 bucks...

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@akuma4u the only thing I would say is confirm exactly how much $ is being put on a tab.  Should you decide to leave early, your outstanding device balance is all they can charge you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

akuma4u

Even with the 40 dollar 5gb price plan its still a 2 year term and i totally unserstand that. If it wasnt then u know what would happen? Hustlers would grab their free phones then bounce after a few days of receiving it as there is no term or contract lol. Fido would be huge losers then. So i get it. I got no prob being locked in for 2 years for 40 a month 5gb unlimited can wide with a free $1000+ dolllar phone. I am however most likely going to pass on any of the phones that bring the plan past 40 a month..unless i fall in love with them really bad .I will find out soon cuz im going to best buy to check the phones out. Ill be making a list of the phones i want .christmas has come early for me 🙂 i knew i was due for some good luck. 

dna2016

@akuma4u, that is a pretty awesome offer.  Free phone?  Interesting you asked about the better phone and quickly it turned into a $60/mth plan on a 2yr contract.  Suggest you quickly do the math to see if it's truly worth it to get on a 2 yr term paying $60.mth plus tax ($67.80/mth $1627.20 over 2 yrs) .  I assume the whole point of you coming to PM is to get a great plan on a lower price point.  So suggest you don't let FIDO wave that carrot in your face just to be trapped in that high price commitment.  

If there's no contract at the $40 price point and getting any of those other phones, then definitely worth it.  But if you're gonna get the Pixel 3 and be stuck in a 2yr 60/mth plan, then might not be worth it to your bank account to chase that carrot.  Unless you plan on selling the phone at a good price.

akuma4u

I am a very light user in terms of data so 5gb is more than enough. Hell 2gb is more than enough..so my plan wont need to change .my phones are old school..i was using blackberry bold for years and people wpuld be shocked i was still using it .then in 2016 i switched to the then outdated lg g3. Ive been using it ever since. So my need for the latest greatest phone wont change either .so...i dont know what circumstances could change that would regret being locked in for 2 years .esp since i know i got a 1000 dollar phone for free as well. 

The ONLY 2 things i can think of that woild want me to leave is 1) horrible service 2) a different provider comes out with a plan thats much cheaper than the 40 5gb plan i would be locked into.

But even then i would remember i got a free phone and mayne shrug it off as i would feel that im still a winner. 

@Carld123 wrote:

@will13am

Your post says it all..as my brother found out..  He has a cheap plan got a free "decent" phone..but now to opt out of the 24 month jail term will cost close to 3 times what that actual phone is now worth...

I am not suggesting that Fido would do a "squeeze play" and increase the plan price within the next 24 months.  The terms of service does give them the right to do that.  Customers should be wary of that.  Circumstances do change and 24 months is a long time.  Personally, I would not allow the handcuffs to go around my wrists. 

Carld123

@akuma4u

It all comes down to personal choice/preference..youve made yours..enjoy your new phone(dont drop it)..lol

akuma4u

Or course if u leave during that 2 year contract there will be a penalty for doing so. But i dont plan on doing that. I am going to find out soon whats up and i will update this thread when i do

As far as ive been told its 40 a month permanent for 2 years and a free choice of phone. I will confirm this shortly

Carld123

@will13am

Your post says it all..as my brother found out..  He has a cheap plan got a free "decent" phone..but now to opt out of the 24 month jail term will cost close to 3 times what that actual phone is now worth...

@akuma4u wrote:

Oh believe you me ...i will fully read all the fine print of this deal and confirm 3x before switching that no funny business is going on. I will only move if its 40 for 2 years with no rate increase at all. He already stated thats what it was and theres no catch .He said he wants me back since i was with them for 13 years .He said he is from a special department and not everyone gets these kind of offers. ..if i notice anything fishy im not switching and im staying here with pm. 

There is no fine print specific to one customer.  At the end of the day, what ever plan they put you on, it will be subject to the ominbus set of terms that allow the carrier to do what ever they want, pretty much when ever they want.  Ever since the 3 year contract was eliminated by the CRTC, the services are month to month.  The only "contract" that keeps customers from leaving is the device balance.  I am sure what ever phone you choose, it will be priced like ransom which will force you to stay 24 months.

akuma4u

Oh believe you me ...i will fully read all the fine print of this deal and confirm 3x before switching that no funny business is going on. I will only move if its 40 for 2 years with no rate increase at all. He already stated thats what it was and theres no catch .He said he wants me back since i was with them for 13 years .He said he is from a special department and not everyone gets these kind of offers. ..if i notice anything fishy im not switching and im staying here with pm. 

@akuma4u wrote:

Main reason i left was i found public mobile had a cheaper plan with twice as much data. But now that they have not only matched the price but beat the plan as well by offering even more data, that reason i initially left no longer exists.

Plus the free phones i can choose from was the cherry on the cake.

I will say this however...i was more impressed with publics service than fido..but im more than willing to take a downgrade is service if it means getting a free $1000+ phone. Also..they keep telling me the service issues are phone related and not their service and a new phone should solve all my previous problems

@akuma4uBe careful.

Phone contracts are maximum 2 years. Businesses and Charity are 2 different things.

If a business gives you $1000+ for free for signing up with them for 2 years that means they are giving you $41+ a month. If they are only charging you $40 a month, there has to be some way for them to trick you.

IE. $40 for first 3 months, $140 for months 4-24.

akuma4u

Main reason i left was i found public mobile had a cheaper plan with twice as much data. But now that they have not only matched the price but beat the plan as well by offering even more data, that reason i initially left no longer exists.

Plus the free phones i can choose from was the cherry on the cake.

I will say this however...i was more impressed with publics service than fido..but im more than willing to take a downgrade is service if it means getting a free $1000+ phone. Also..they keep telling me the service issues are phone related and not their service and a new phone should solve all my previous problems

@MarleneTecson wrote:

I wish you good luck.  My family was a long time Fido customer and we still have one cheap plan left on the account but moved the rest of my family over.  The problem with Fido is that they will change the monthly price on you and you will be frustrated yet again. We signed up the whole family for $40/4GB last Black Friday and they increased the price within 3 months and we couldn’t do anything about it so we left.  They called trying to get us back but it is too late.  The “free phone” might not be free as they will keep forgetting to credit you etc., etc.  Just saying...good luck.

I could not have put it any better.  That's why I mentioned earlier that I don't take a switch lightly, but there's no taking it back.  After all there was great reason to leave.  That reason really hasn't gone away.  

akuma4u

It is 60 or more ONLY if i select a very expensive phone..BUT if i choose lesser value phones the plan stays at 40. Funny thing is ..they r allowing me to choose an s9 or huawei p20 pro and many others and keeping the plan at 40 bucks and those phones are like 1000 or more..certainly not cheap but compared to iphone xs max or pixel 3 xl it is...

akuma4u

Again..if i choose the latest apple or samsung then yes i will be paying extra but if i choose s9 and p20 etc there is no additional cost. The plan stays at the unbeatable price of 40 a month for 5gb. Even pm cant beat that plan

akuma4u

Before making the jump back to fido trust me i will make sure of all the fine print and ensure there is no funny biz or price increases after 3 months or anything lile that. 

MarleneTecson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I wish you good luck.  My family was a long time Fido customer and we still have one cheap plan left on the account but moved the rest of my family over.  The problem with Fido is that they will change the monthly price on you and you will be frustrated yet again. We signed up the whole family for $40/4GB last Black Friday and they increased the price within 3 months and we couldn’t do anything about it so we left.  They called trying to get us back but it is too late.  The “free phone” might not be free as they will keep forgetting to credit you etc., etc.  Just saying...good luck.

akuma4u

Yes true .the really expensive phones like iphone xs max..samsung plus line pixel 3 xl do make the 5gb 40 dollar plan jump up to 60 to 90 dollars a month..so for those phones yes i will end up paying several 100 dollars for at the end of a 2 year term..so im going to stay away from those phones prob BUT there are many phones that are free and the plan stays at 40 for 5gb..huawei p20 pro is one of those..samsung s9 is another..and there are many more. So ..my cheap butt will prob pick a phone from that list. I kinda have my sights set on a p20 pro. That phone to buy outright is like 1000 or 1100 bucks..so...still..hell of a deal and only sacrifice i have to make is stick with fido for 2 years.. Worth it to me! 

@akuma4u wrote:

A 5gn unlimited plan for 40 a month is cheaper than what pm offers. Plus a free samsung s9 or huawei p20 pro..

The price doesnt go to 65 a month it stays at 40...so to me the phone is free.

You said in the OP that you had to up the price to $60 per month to get the better phone selection.  So, it is not free. 

mcs11
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@akuma4u wrote:

something unbelievable has happened

I left fido after 13 years to come to pm. I gave fido so many chances to keep me and match or do something to keep me there cuz of the 13 year relationship. They couldnt match pm. So i left .

3 days later...

I get a call today. Its fido. Some special department. He asks me what it will take to come back. I said nothing since u guys cant match pm plans .He said he is a special department and he can do a lot more than i think.

So...here is what he offered me

Reimbursement for pm sim and any charges ive built up while with pm

He give me 5gb and unlimited can wide for 40 a month

Now heres the unbelievable part...

He will give me almost any phone i want for the price of...FREE. 

he suggests samsung s9..i suggested huawei p20 pro..he said yes to that..then i changed it to pixel 3 xl..he said yes to that but plan would change to 60 a month for 2 yrs...then he said to get back to him tmrw and let him know which phone i want and tmrw the deal will expire so i gotta do this by end of day tmrw

The deal is too good to pass on..i wish i couldve stayed with pm but how can i turn down a free 1000$+ phone???

Totally understand when a free phone is made available. At least they actually made it worthwhile for you to return -- Virgin Mobile called me the next day and still could not offer anything close to PM. Thanks for giving PM a try and enjoy your new phone!

akuma4u

I def will! And then hopefully fido will offer me another phone for free to come back and thus the cycle will continue until 2056.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@akuma4u wrote:

Even tho im getting 1 or 2 bars at home. When im outside i get lte speeds on data and i didnt on fido . also when i 2as with fido my text messages would often take 2 mins or longer to send. It was so annoying .But with pm they all send within 2 to 3 seconds. ... So pm seems to be the better service..but that **bleep** free 1000 dollar phone is luring me in so hardcore 

After 2 years, check us out again...

akuma4u

Even tho im getting 1 or 2 bars at home. When im outside i get lte speeds on data and i didnt on fido . also when i 2as with fido my text messages would often take 2 mins or longer to send. It was so annoying .But with pm they all send within 2 to 3 seconds. ... So pm seems to be the better service..but that **bleep** free 1000 dollar phone is luring me in so hardcore 

michasmac

Well done!....I actually am in the same situation( left Fido of 10 years roughly)....but I missed a phone call from Fido today.....so I imagine I am staying with PM.  But maybe they will try again to win me back?...Who knows.

However PM is pretty sweet currently.....so the deal has to be pretty darn sweet in order to get me back.

Carld123

@ute1978

My kids have mastered the art of getting free phones...from me...😀

Need Help? Let's chat.