cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE is not working.

GroovyBro
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My LTE does not work even in areas where my friend's phone on Telus gets LTE. Back when I was with Telus I got nonstop LTE ADVANCED across the city on my S7 (which I bought from Telus) and now that I am with Public Mobile, all I get is 4G everywhere.

I checked all my APN settings already and rebooted and reinserted my SIM mulitple times already but nothing seems to be working.

I also sent an email to PM support but that was almost 7 days ago now and I still have not recieved a response.

Why is LTE still not working??

21 REPLIES 21

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Good morning @GroovyBro

Sorry to hear about all of this. 

I understand that you get LTE on your device when inserting different SIM cards. Since you have already reset your network settings, set your APN, cleared your cache, set the preferred network to automatic and still have issues with LTE, I'd like you to private message me your phone #, the IMEI of your device and your complete shipping address.

We'll definitely be sending you a new SIM card to try.

I look forward to your reply,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @GroovyBro, sorry we should have done this earlier:  I'm tagging our PM Community Moderators @Shazia_K and @Mary_M to see if they can assist.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

GroovyBro
Update again: I'm suddenly getting LTE
Advanced randomly out of nowhere again.

It seems I get LTE depending on how the wind blows
It's kinda annoying but it's alright I guess. I stull want to ask a mod tho to see if it is an IMEI mixup

GroovyBro
Update: The data is even worse now. I still get 5 bar coverage at -90dBm, but the data is now 2mbps at 40ping.

This is even worse than wind Mobile at this point and the worst part is that my sim card is working in every type of phone I put it into except Samsung ones.

-I get LTE+ when I put a Telus sim into my s7
-I get LTE when I put my Public mobile sim into an iPhone 6 plus
-I also get LTE when I put my Public mobile sim into an iPhone 5s

This is very frustrating to troubleshoot especially since admin hasn't showed up yet.

GroovyBro
@NDesai yes I get LTE when I put a Telus sim in my phone and strangely enough I also get LTE when o stick my sim into my friends iPhone. I read some Samsung help forums and one person said that it's a carrier issue logging the correct IMEI number into the system.

It's a very strange issue and idk what to do but wait for admin.

So if you were to try telus/koodo sim to test, do you get instant LTE?

If everything is set up correctly, no doubt that it should show LTE at least and not HSPA on such a new cell phone. My brother has edge version of this phone. If i get a chance, i will try my sim in it and see the result.

GroovyBro

@srlawren  uuurgh I wiped the cache partition and it still didn't do anything. I'm just gonna wait until one of the mods shows up

srlawren

@GroovyBro have you tried a wipe of your phone's cache partition?  Since that is non-destructive, I'd suggest you try that.  If that doesn't work, unfortunately, a factory wipe might be ncessary.  But if you're going to do a factory wipe, I'd use the method that @ckl linked in that other thread from @kav2001c

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren Good catch! @GroovyBro try that...

EDIT: Nevermind...

GroovyBro

@srlawren I checked and my prefered is LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)

GroovyBro

@ckl It says HSUPA when data is turned off and HSPA+ when I'm on data

Every now and again a little exlaimation mark in a triangle will pop up and the phone will display LTE in place of HSUPA for a split second and then switch right back to HSUPA.

It's really strange. Could my SIM card be a dud?

srlawren

@ckl oh yeah that reminds me.... @GroovyBro did you double-check your preferred network type?  Could it be set to 3G somehow?

ckl

"Also, my phone worked with Telus before so doing a full reset like that seems a bit extreme"

Yeah, I would treat that as the absolute last resort before you throw your phone against a brick wall Man Sad

What does it say when you go into Settings and About device to find sim card status? There should be a line that says Mobile Network Type...

Screen should look similar to this, but obviously different carrier:

http://imgur.com/wBh4GIh

Thanks.

srlawren

@ckl wow nice find.

@GroovyBro yeah I wasn't 100% sure of my explanation.  Seems I was incorrect.  Appologies for the bum steer.  

GroovyBro

@ckl I'll probably wait until they show up in the forum and ask me to. I don't really want to re-explain everything.

Also, my phone worked with Telus before so doing a full reset like that seems a bit extreme

ckl

10Mpbs looks like HSPA speeds. Hmm... I don't know what to suggest other than the drastic approach indicated here:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Changing-Samsung-Phone-Info/m-p/53208#...

This involves resetting your phone and losing the data on it. Even then, I'm not sure if that procedure would even fix the problem... but you never know.

Maybe private message one of the PM staff to see if there's anything wrong with your account. You will get a quicker response if you PM'ed @Shazia_K

GroovyBro

http://www.telus.com/en/ab/mobility/network/coverage-map.jsp

On Telus' coverage map, my area of Edmonton is supposed to be completely covered by LTE ADVANCED

GroovyBro

@srlawren I know for a fact that I am not on LTE of any kind. I got LTE Advanced for like 10 seconds on Public Mobile recently and then it just cut out so I know that I can get LTE Advanced.

I'm living in Edmonton in a great coverage zone. I get 5 bar all the time and it never dips below 3bar

I was Telus prepaid before so Im not sure what you mean by "LTE Advanced is only for postpaid"

One of my other friends on Koodo also gets LTE advanced

(On the Samsung Galaxy S7 HSPA+ shows up as 4G)

GroovyBro

Ik its 4g because all im getting is at best 10mbps downloads which is the average speed of 4g

ckl

Download a speedtest app and post what speeds you are getting. Just for reference, I just did one and got 43Mbps down and 23Mbps up, but I have had speeds as low as 25Mbps down and 11Mbps up. Both with sub 30ms latency. So if you are getting speeds somewhere in that range, I wouldn't worry about it.

srlawren

@GroovyBro 4G typically means [non-advanced-]LTE.  So, I believe you are on regular LTE.

What part of the country are you in?  I'm guessing Ontario or east of there?  I think the reason is due to how Telus and Bell share towers, with Telus providing the bulk of towers for both companies in the west, and Bell in the east.  I think I've heard that only post-paid subscribers on the main brands get access to LTE-Advanced on the other company's towers.  So, only post-paid Telus (as you were before and your friend is now) would get the LTE-Advanced speed from Bell towers. 

@Shazia_K or @Mary_M are you able to confirm if this is the case?

Need Help? Let's chat.