cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to get my old number back?

ayay
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got my number straight from Public Mobile. It was not a port from another provider.

A few days ago, I moved to another city and decided to grab a local phone number, so I used the options that are available online for that.

The move didn't work out, sadly.

Is there any way to get my old number back?

8 REPLIES 8

ayay
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Original number was from Public Mobile, NOT a port from another carrier. So that should be OK.

I've sent the message to the mods, and I'll report back with my findings.

Number are not supposed to get reassigned to new customers immediately, and are suppsoed to go into a phone number aging pool before the system allows them to be given to someone else.

A number being ported from a different carrier might work differently.  I am uncertain about that.

But, since this number was originally a Telus-assigned number, you should be able to get it back, although customer service is likely never going to make any promises in this regard.

@RobertQc, that's my understanding as well, I guess I just misunderstood why you offered that link, as it only tells me what I already know, that the number will return to the original provider if I were to discontinue the use of it.

@stonechucker wrote:

@RobertQc, just looking at that site you've linked for the history of the number.  I know that my number was original from Rogers, and I know the history since I got it way back when.  But it only shows me that it's been with Rogers.  Are you implying that the lineage of service providers should be different?

@stonechuckeras I understand regardless of who currently holds that number or how many times it was ported, rogers is and always will be the true owner of that number and if you ever cancel your plan that number will be released to rogers in 90 or less days. So it should only ever show 1 provider on that list.

@RobertQc, just looking at that site you've linked for the history of the number.  I know that my number was original from Rogers, and I know the history since I got it way back when.  But it only shows me that it's been with Rogers.  Are you implying that the lineage of service providers should be different?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

It is possible but not 100% guaranteed.   do as mentioned above in the first 2 posts.  

I accedently ported a my number into my wife's account (long story) when we were in koodo.  they managed to get her number back.  (it was same day)  being a pm number it should be easier, but it is time sensitive.

good luck.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ayay

All phone companies in Canada usually put the canceled phone number in the waiting pool to avoid new owner getting calls from the friends of the previous owner.  I don't know how long the canceled number stays at the waiting pool before being recycled to be used again.

For a few days, you should have no problem to get back your old number back from PM.  

Click the following link to send a private message to Community Moderators to ask for help.
Please include your current PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN and the old number you want to get back.

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:
- Complete mailing address,
- Email address,
- Alternate phone number,
- Date of birth,
- Last top up date & amount

Community Moderators are available from:
Monday to Friday from 9am (EDT) to 9pm (EDT)
Saturday and Sunday from 9am (EDT) to 7:30pm (EDT)

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@ayay wrote:

I got my number straight from Public Mobile. It was not a port from another provider.

A few days ago, I moved to another city and decided to grab a local phone number, so I used the options that are available online for that.

The move didn't work out, sadly.

Is there any way to get my old number back?

After reading a couple pages on the google I think It may be possible. Depending on a couple different variables. Maybe another member here with experience can chime in.

If it were me I would send a message to the mod team to see about this ASAP as if it is possible, its time sensitive as it could be taken by another person. Click this to send them a message.

Since you got it from public mobile in the first place, its unlikely any other provider was the original owner. As I understand if it was ported in from another provider after a certain amount of time it would have been released back to that carrier. So it should still be here, and available. Unless they immediatly put it up for grabs for another public mobile user. As I have read in some cases some carriers will not let someone else take that number for 30 or 90 or X amount of days once the number is no longer on an active account

While you wait for the moderator team to respond, you can also for fun go to http://www.fonefinder.net/ and check to see that the number always belonged here

Need Help? Let's chat.