Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a mistake or fraud?

deyneko1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi,

Today I received strange message

via SMS:

Your authorized parking period in space A196 ends at 18:00. You cannot renew this space. goo.gl/VlymED

The link goes to:

Mobile service

This message has been sent by Stationnement de Montréal.
To unsubscribe from these communications, please reply 'STOP' to 83737.
Please note that if you unsubscribe, you will no longer receive parking expiry alerts by SMS.
Stationnement de Montréal - 640, Saint-Paul Street W, Suite 200 - Montreal (Quebec) H3C 1L9

www.pservicemobile.ca

I never used or regestered in this service.

Actually no any idea, so I don't know how that system works... i.e. can somebody uses my money or something like this?

Any ideas? What I need to do?

P.S. Also there is an information in the phone that sender number is 83737, but I can't find this number in my Public mobile account (usage)

15 REPLIES 15

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks for the update, @deyneko1.  I'm glad you got some resolution.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

deyneko1

Hi all,

At the end I contacted with Stationnement de Montréal and described the situations and gave a link to this topic.

Here their answer:

Hi Mr Deyneko,

We are sorry this situation happened. But unfortunately, there is no way
of preventing a typo from our users.

If you could give us your cell phone number we can remove it from the
user's profile.

Regards,

Thanks,

Yan Tomaselli
TC.Media

----------------------

Hi,

Sorry about that, could you please tell me what your cellphone number is so I can change the situation?

Thanks,

Support à la clientèle  - P$ Service mobile

Société en commandite Stationnement de Montréal

640, St-Paul Ouest, bureau 200, Montréal (Québec)  H3C 1L9

Tél.: 514 868-3700

www.statdemtl.qc.ca

-----------------------------------------

Then I gave them my cell number.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@deyneko1 look at it this way.  If it's a legit service, which it appears to be, somebody must have mis-typed their phone number, and the system is sending you text messages.  You are okay to ignore these.  PM is a pre-paid service, so you won't get any extra charges for receiving the text messages.  If you've never given this parking service them your credit card or banking information, then they have no way to charge anything to your accounts.  You can safely ignore these messages, since they don't apply to you (you're not parked there and don't use the service), and they have no way to charge you anything unless for some reason you use the link and sign up, but that would be silly.

On the other hand, if it's a phishing/scam text message, then again, your best line of defence is to ignore and delete the message.  

Always keep an eye on your credit card chages and banking transactions (I check mine every few days) to be sure you're not a victim of fraud--but this is just good advice all the time, not just when you get these texts.

Bottom line:  Ignore and delete.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

deyneko1

Hi all,

Sorry for my absent long time and thank you very much for your answers and suggestions!

After that SMS I've checked all my banking accounts several times and I didn't find of payments for that parking.

But unfortunately, recently I received another SMS, see an attachement of my screenshot.

Let me explain why I am worry about such SMSs:

1. It seems to receive such official messages you have to have a registration on a special site/company. I guess the registration includes verifying your cell phone number. As you know, usually a company ask to enter a code which they sent via SMS or/and by e-mail to a registration page to complete registration. Only after full procedure of registration you can use your cell for buying something or for pay for services.

2. I have a bad experience when I was in Russia. There, when I answered a SMS (don't remember details) it was withdraw from my cell account. Then I called to a cell company and said them I didn't asked or used a service (to know additional information about person or cell phone location or something like this), but they said that they can not do anything with it and it is unable to find who did it. As well they said they could not return my money.

3. Who knows modern scarm technologies? I think they are developing too, isn't it? At present time, lot of us have Play store or other services connected to our credit cards etc. May be a crime genious  will find a way to interact "harmless" SMS to your credit card...

P.S. If you need I can forward this message if it could help, for this reason send me your number by PM.

Screenshot_20160626-171509.png

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Thank you @JVdSousa for the lengthy post, I do agree that some of the points mentioned in your post are a good way of protecting your personal information in general. Phishing is a real issue and it's good to always take preventive measures if you're not sure.

@deyneko1 Have you received any more messages from the shortcode you described? Please let us know.

Cheers,

Jeremy

JVdSousa

and by the way 

Now we know who the culprit is, that is making these scam’s….. 

Thank you for letting us know ……. 

JVdSousa

Go ahead 

Be my guest, you have the right to to voice your opinion ...........  

regards 

Jose

Why are you guys so convinced it is fraud?

It is a LEGIT company & link

Even the short code listed 83737 will show you it is legit

http://www.txt.ca/en/current-short-code-programs/

JVdSousa

Hi guy’s, ladies and possibly others too (just a joke)

@deyneko1, that is a scam out right without question and you should just ignore it.

Here is my reasoning about the message that you received.

First, I need to see more about the text message that you received. What I mean by that is the top line that identifies where the message was originated I would like to see, first to better conclude.

That is, those the header of the message came from the suggested “reply” to “83737”, if is different that is first sign of a scam, what it means is that you reply as we normally do but the message does not go back to “83737” but to where the message was originated from. If you still have the message on you cell phone, take a picture or copy the screen and drop a copy of the message here or my private e-mail box.

Second, to the right of the message is an web-site that they want you to go to, i.e. “goo.gl/VlymED”

This is a google site that you can host a system or even your personal website so that people can go to and get in contact with you.

Unfortunately, is also used by scammers frequently too. Without any offence to Public Mobile, if I can use as an example; You will never see PM asking you to go to goo.gl/PublicMobile web site to make a payment, but rather PublicMobile.ca/……..   (something).

Another note that I see is that they send you a SMS message and not even an e-mail, again from something@PublicMobile.ca or “611” as they mention on their site.

Now, you click on the link and try to follow through and inquire what is this about, you will be going to the scammers web-site where they are going to create a personal profile about you and gather/collect as much information they can of your private information, i.e. Bank account, pin number, CCV2 (the three digit at the back of the credit card) full name, expiring date, etc.

@deyneko1, the fact that they send you a SMS text, they already have you cell number and they are going to carrion pestering you with such a scam’s. They are not going to “STOP” they want more personal information from you, so that they can clean up your bank account.

In computer terms, that is what is called “Fishing” and that is over time try to gain as much personal information, before they clean up your bank account. By directing you to their web-site and proxy you into the real web-site and as the data is passed through their system they collect the information first. So that later when you least expect it, they then clean your account.

The other information with regard to physical address and web-site is just a disguise and to pretend to be “REAL”. Ignore that portion, is fake, and if you click on the web-site that they present to you, that is in fact hyperlink to their website. Is a false link.   

Tips and suggestions,

• You can go into your browser settings and in the privacy section you can set safe web-site so that the browser does not ask you if you are certain to go to, but you can add in the prohibit side the address “goo.gl/VlymED” to the list that you never want your browser to go to. The browser will block you in the future if you make a mistake at a later date will not go there. I are creating a fire wall preventing you from been scam at a later date.
  • In my contact list I have several contacts called Blocked, a_Blocked, b_Blocked, ….. and I have 15 phone numbers that I can place in each of them. If I see a number that I don’t recognise or my phone does not identify, I don’t answer the call and I let the call go through to my voice mail.

I also go online and google the phone number for comments on that phone number to see if is a scam as well. If I identify to be a scam I add the phone number to be a scam I add the number to my list of BLOCKED calls, the individual contact for those blocked calls are set up for DO NOT RING, or vibrate or even light on LED or screen change, in other words do nothing and don’t tell me that the call is coming in, plain and simple just ignore it.

I will have to look further into the SMS (texting) if I can do the same, I will try it out and further post at a later time, as to what can be done for blocking some texting. To be honest I have not had such an issue yet.

I hope that helps you.

Regards

Jose

*sighs*

Again this is NOT fraud & they are not soliciting at all

Here is a video to help explain who they are and why he got the txt:

https://youtu.be/wX2RwB7JIak

Never click the link, view the image/attachments, run the executable, or reply with "unsubscribe" etc to spam, lol, it just informs them that they've got a live target to send their junk to.  Block, delete, and report if you can.

I'm of the opinion that if I want something then I'll actively search for it or subscribe to it.  Anything unsolicited is just somebody trying to make money selling you garbage.

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @deyneko1

Thanks for asking the Community!

Are the messages persistent? (are you receiving multiple messages)

I agree with @kav2001c, it can be an error or a friend who is trying trick you 🙂 In any case you can reply "STOP" (if you're still receiving the messages) and the messages should stop immediately.

Please keep us up to date?

Cheers,

Jeremy

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Too many worried people no these are legit.

City of Montreal uses cellular payments for parking instead of fishing for quarters.

As to why you got the message most likely someone typed in the wrong digit on machine.

(eg -XXX1 instead of -XXX2)

The website is a legit one

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Just delete man...

JL.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Play it safe and assume it is a scam. You can delete the message and then ignore them. There may be a way to block income sms but I do not know it.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.